Regarding healing time

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm heavily considering getting a 1500 fue with Armani this spring once i have enough money. With that said, how long are healing times. My question is more complex than it seems though. What I mean is that, assuming I get fue as opposed to fuss, is it the scalp wounds on the hairline that take so long not to be noticable, or is it the huge incision that usually comes with fuss? Basically, if I have 1.5 to 2 weeks off from work, could I come back to work (assuming I don't take forever to heal) without people noticing I had work done?

G

Generally speaking, the post-op healing in the recipient area won't be any different whether you have strip or FUE. If you are taking that much time off, the recipient area should look just fine. And you are correct in that with strip, you'll have sutures in the back of your head (donor area).

In most cases, the surgeon will not have to shave your donor area down with strip, and you will be able to hide the sutures if you have at least two inches of length in the donor zone.

But with FUE, chances are they will have to buzz down the donor area in order to extract the FUs.

Where are your grafts going to be placed?

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to get 1500 fue on the hairline, primairaly on the right temple. My hairline is lopsided. The left is barely Norwood 1.5 and the right is Norwood 2 and it looks fairly thin. I have fully decided that if I do it I will do Fue for 2 reasons:

1. I definantly don't need more than 1500 grafts to have a brad pitt hairline (thats what I personally want)

2. I saw a picture of the staples in someones scalp and I thought that there ain't no way on earth I'm gonna have that done, plus I want the recovery to be as fast as possible. I really don't want anyone to have a clue about me getting work done.

G

First of all, if I was in your situation, I would not be doing any hair transplants right now. Rather, I would be using Toppik or even Dermatch to cover the thinning areas. When you stated that one side shows more thinning, that could be more subject to shockloss and commit you to more surgery sooner than you may want. So it's a good thing to try and hold onto that natural hair that's still giving you some coverage for as long as you possibly can. I know that easy for me to say since I'm not you, and I'm not trying to shove my own perspectives on you, but if you are 25 now, you will need more work as you get into your thirties, forties, etc. Although many of us would die to have the Brad Pitt hairline, there's no way we can maintain that look over the long term, not even Brad Pitt himself. His hairline will undoubtedly move back with a little more time, you'll see. That's why you never want to commit yourself to something you cannot maintain due to donor limitations.

And if you have the more advanced hairloss classes in your family history, you can bet the farm that you'll need "alot more work". So really, if you foresee yourself needing at least 4,000 plus grafts in your lifetime, "how do you think your donor area will look with 4,000 plus FUE extractions?" That's why many guys who anticipate that level of work do it by strip to avoid the moth-eaten donor appearance.

But I do know first hand what your concerns are with the staples because I just had them in September. It was not as bad as I anticipated and although I did not like the idea, still wanted to take the extra precaution of maintaining a very thin linear scar. It was closed with a trico method so there will be hair growing through it, and no plans to wear really short hair styles.

It's also great to see you have your medicinal regimen in place. How do you like the new Rogaine foam product? Is your hair less greasy feeling than the former Rogaine?

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, my dad has all of his hair, and so do most of my uncles, actually, all but one. I just don't want to bother with dermatch or toppik. I have been reading these forums for a few years now, and doing my research, so I'm not "jumping in" so to speak. I really do appreciate the advice though. I probably am going to do it because I have always been quite vain, and I like to look good. I have barely any loss on top and almost none on the left temple.

Its just that even before I lost any hair, my right side was farther back than the left. Since then, the right has moved even farther back but all the rest of my head has stayed. I caught this early and have hair that most guys on this forum would kill to have. That's why I just want a fue touch up on my hairline.