Reassurance on Finasteride please! Shedding for Weeks!

hockeyman34

Reaction score
Hi All,
To start with a little about myself, I'm a 19 year old college student in the very early stages of male pattern baldness. About 4 months ago I went to the derm, and he detected male pattern baldness because I had thinning of temp region and a strong family history of it. With this diagnoses, i immediately jumped on 1 mg per day of finasteride, which I've held to for the past 3.5 months. Didn't research the drug and didn't taper on; I went full speed ahead. I'm glad to say that besides a decreased libido, I haven't had any negative sides.

Here's where I've been:

About two months into regime, I started shedding and it's continued for about 6 weeks. Every time I shower I lose about 70 hairs.
I was using 1% nizoral for 3 months but not correctly--I'd gently lather it on without messaging into scalp; this was time lost on my hands.

I've been shedding profusely for probably 5-6 weeks, which has left my hair limp and thin. Parts of my scalp are starting to be exposed. My crown, which was never an issue at baseline, has become much thinner due to the shedding. I now have a thin spot that looks like a quarter-sized cowlick. Of course, only those hyper aware to hair loss would notice such.
My temporal region and hairline also thinned out, so 3 weeks ago I started rogaine on my hairline. I'm sure I've been shedding from Rogaine too.

About 3 weeks ago I went to one of the top dermatologists who teaches at UPenn, and she gave me some reassuring news. I was told there is regrowth of new, strong (terminal?) hairs that I had shed around three months ago when I first sought action.
She told me not to count hairs, the shedding is temporary, and then prescribed me nizoral 2% to use 3-4 times per week. I've been using it 3 times a week.

Why I'm worried and seeking advice on this forum:

While the news from my derm was good and there is regrowth, it's hard not to be distressed over the sheds. Also, I do have a slight itch that occurs throughout the day--sometimes on forehead, sometimes just in my thinning areas, sometimes in donor areas, etc.
So, this got my Googleitis flowing. After further research I came across reflex hyperangeronicity. Of those many symptoms, I have the itch and maybe a slightly oilier scalp. I realize the itch only when I think about it and it occurs throughout the day for a total of 20 minutes, if even. I also feel a tingle on my neck, lower scalp, and ears, but I'm not holding finasteride or any treatment accountable for this. Probably in my head.

The mind is a powerful force, though, so it's possible my scalp has always been this oily. My hair gets oily after two days. That also never used to happen, but, then again, who knows if this is caused by my more infrequent showers, if it's sebum production, or my acute, newfound awareness of my hair. I'm thinking all three are in effect. Also, I have a pimple here and there, but no major acne, unwanted body hair growth, or consistent scalp itching. My libido is less than normal and not through the roof, another common symptom of rh. I went on those anti-propecia websites and my symptoms are not nearly as severe as the ones people who blame reflex hyperangeronicity. But when hair is shedding and my derm isn't immediately accessible, it's hard not to think the worst when I read the negative reactions people have to the drug.

I've done the blood work, all ranges returned normal, and I'm pretty certain the sheds are medically induced by the finasteride and maybe rogaine. I never shed like this before starting my treatment.

So, here I am venting on a forum alongside many other people who are experiencing similar adversities.

For those who have experienced dismal sheds that left their hair at their worst before a sudden turnaround and improvement, I'd love to hear it. All two cents are appreciated.

How long will this shed last? When will finasteride start working? What else can I do in my efforts to fight? Is nizoral best for the itch, and will it subside after a few weeks of proper use? Besides the sheds, is there a way to know my body is responding to finasteride? Maybe a dht test?

There are many seasoned posters on here, and I'd love to hear your input and to answer any questions.

Many thanks!

RapidRetreat

Reaction score
I am in EXACTLY the same boat mate! the more I read through this forum the more common I have found propecia shedding, like you I wasn't shedding that much before starting and only wanted to get on it to start fighting it, then about a month after starting it I shed dramatically and it only got worse the longer I was on it! I was on propecia for over 14 months before I called it quits I am now diffuse all over and much worse off. Sorry for the gloomy post but if I could go back in time I would and decide not to take the drug.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
First, get off the forums. You'll get a bunch of responses that contradict each other. Only leading you to second guess your decision. Have regular check ups with that dermatologist;I'm sure he/she knows what they are talking about. No one can answer those question because no two people are a like. Only time will tell...

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
it would be nice if hair just stayed, but it doesnt work that way. hair goes through growth cycles, anagen, catagen and telegen. normally for e.g in a female, the hair grows, a new one grows under it, and the old one falls out. in male pattern baldness, in each cycle the new hair is thinner. i.e. miniturization. which occurs in the presense of DHT, and probably alot of other things, but it remains unclear. im only explaining this to u, because u obviously dont understand if ur suprised ur shedding.

therefore, when u block the conversion of T into DHT, miniturization stops and reverses very slowly (hopefully) therefore while male pattern baldness is reversing, in ur typical case, it will take several cycles and a few years to get thicker hair. the hair has to fall out, and regrow, fall out and regrow, etc it takes time. when u start the drug, hundreds of thousands of hairs all growing in cycles at different times, syncronise and fall out together. over time, they will fall out of synchonisation again, but for now, more than usual amount are entering telegen at the same time, and fall out at the same time, otherwise known as shedding.

it will take a few cycles for them to fall out of synchonisation again, and for them to all enter telegen at different times, but for now they are all in telegen at the same time. all it means is that a years worth of shedding is happening at once, instead of over a year. it will settle down.

for the record though, if ur going to alter ur hormones with drugs, its a good idea to request blood tests beforehand for a baseline, and then regurlarly for a while so u can see whats happening, and ur not left wondering if u have reflex androgenicity, which without a baseline is really impossible for us as strangers on a forum to determine. in the absence of any clear answer, ur going to have to wait and see, or stop taking it and continue to go bald. now that youve already started shedding, u might as well wait and see, otherwise youll never know.