Re hair regrowth at higher dosage levels of finasteride

Hei Lung

Reaction score
I've seen results from some early independent studies (circa 1995) of finasteride at 5mg daily dose.

The study didn't include a comparison with effects at finasteride. 1mg dose (current Propecia dosage) vs. the 5mg dose (Proscar dosage).

Interestingly, the results of said 1995 study demonstrated significantly greater hair regrowth at 5mg after one year than the many studies done at 1mg. daily dose.

I've seen some conclusory statements that effects of finasteride at 1mg and even 80mg daily are virtually the same as regards inhibition of DHT in humans-- about 70% reduction in DHT level at both dose levels.

However, no side by side results, and there may have been ulterior motivations for these statements. Also no studies showing impact at 1mg vs. 5mg on hair regrowth itself (again, only some conclusory remarks comparing reduction in DHT levels).

The above is confusing, as the 1995 test was generally regarded as reliable. Also, we know that at 5mg there is a much greater impact on spermatogenesis than at 1mg -- it seems reasonable to assume that this difference results from greater DHT inhibition at 5mg than 1mg.

***Anyone have any figures handy based on reliable independant studies comparing effects (short or long term) of finasteride on hair regrowth at 1 mg and higher doses, including 5mg?***

Many thanks in advance.

Axon

Reaction score
How much more are we talking about? Is it worth the risk of 5 mg a day? Are we talking 50 more hairs or 5,000?

Hei Lung

Reaction score
Proscar contains 5mg finasteride. and it has been prescribed for years with no ill effects except reduced spermatogenesis in 2% of users.

I'm happy to deal with that level of risk if a 5x's increase in dose is even 50% (rather than 500%) more effective.

So does anyone have a link to aside-by-side comparison of the results of 1mg vs. 5mg?

I found nothing helpful on the "research" link, but perhaps I missed something.

G

Hei Lung said:
Proscar contains 5mg finasteride. and it has been prescribed for years with no ill effects except reduced spermatogenesis in 2% of users.

I'm happy to deal with that level of risk if a 5x's increase in dose is even 50% (rather than 500%) more effective.

So does anyone have a link to aside-by-side comparison of the results of 1mg vs. 5mg?

I found nothing helpful on the "research" link, but perhaps I missed something.

The 5 MG dosage is about 23% more effective than the 1MG dosage. However, your statement of no ill side effects is curious. I think you would find any number of experienced users of finasteride (including me) that would challenge you big time on that assertion.

And we are using 1MG, not 5MG.

Hey, it is your body!!!! :hairy:

Axon

Reaction score
Differing Fina dosages are unpredictable in terms of sides. Just be mindful of that.