re-adjusting your ward-robe as a balding man

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
I kind of alluded to this in my last post. When I had thick trendy hair I used to just dress very stylish or whatever (i know that sounds horribly narcissistic, I don't mean it like that).

However, now that I'm a balding jerk :) I find this type of gear looks atrocious on me. It's like 'whos this balding guy fooling, he's a schmuck'.

So now I only feel comfortable wearing sweatpants and sh*t like this. Like I don't want to draw attention to myself anymore. I'm kind of signaling to the world : 'yes I know I'm a loser'.

But the sweatpants look is a shame as well. any ideas on what to do.

Oh yeah, I'm 23. Sucks..

VWdude

Reaction score
the way you dress and your social life shouldn't be effected by your baldness. If it does, then it means that you are having troubles coming into terms with your hairloss. But i think its rediculous to say "okay well im balding, time to stock up on some balding related clothes now so people don't look at me" yeah and it does suck... i'm 22 and feeling it.

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
it's not that simple as to say 'nothing should change' because you're balding

take the balding aspect out of the equation so you can look at it rationally

aesthetic and fashion is a bit of a science

imagine a guy who has has a mohawk and and body modifications dressed in his normal attire.

now if you shave this guy's head he's going to look ridiculous in his alternative garb

likewise, putting this same guy in a lacoste shirt and some khakis is going to look akward

likewise, a balding guy (such as myself) shaves his hair really short and must find a look to match this

you can't just change huge variables such as hairstyle without adjusting for other things within a dynamic system

it's not wise

honestly, I always people watch and observe what people are 'attemping' to pull off. today I was in Target and I saw a guy badling terribly trying to overcompensate tremendously.

I think he would have done better to look chilled out : but the accentuation he put into his entire presentation made it all the more obvious what was going on.

and if I noticed this, females will as well (although female's opinions is not nearly as important as what we feel about ourselves)

VWdude

Reaction score
Fine hypothesis you got there. However, I believe you are over analyzing this... as for me, I couldn't give two shits what some f** off the street thinks, I still got the hottest girlfriend :lol:

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
my super hot fiance (dating since I was a lil' kid with thick hair) dumped me because balding turned me into a no confidence pansy

I'm 90% sure if I hadn't allowed the balding to change my personality she'd still be around : but I'm mentally weak and couldn't get over it

she dumped me for my roomate who's in his very initial stages of balding too : made it MUCH easier to stomach

VWdude

Reaction score
these treatments are good and all and do some wonders for some people but i still think getting a hair transplant is the way to go for the best results... If I have 5 grand and nothing to do with it, i'll get one.
That sucks about your gf dude, she's not worth it for dumping you over hair... its alright though, one door closes and another door opens!

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Gilgamesh, I think you're overanalyzing also. One thing I've found since my hairloss began was that people with hairloss become insecure frequently and sometimes misinterpret non-balders' actions and words to be a response to their hairloss. When I had no problems I never did any of the sh*t that some people accuse non-balders of. For instance, I never ran my hands through my hair when talking to a balding guy, as if to make sure that things were still ok with me and that I'm not going to end up like the pathetic bald guy I'm talking to. I hear this a lot on HairLossTalk.com and I don't buy it. So much of it is in our heads.

By the way, your roomate is a cocksucker for moving in on your long time girlfriend. You don't need him or her.

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, Gilgamesh, from reading your posts I sure would like to see your hair. I'll bet its not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be here. We are our own worst critics.

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
Let me see if I can dig up an adequate picture.

btw..

The roomate is beginning to bald at the temples. If I was sadistic or the type of person to hold contempt I'd laugh at the dark future he's about to embark upon.

But I wouldn't wish hairloss on my worst enemy. I thought about telling him about finasteride, but decided it'd f*** with his head too much and he'd misinterpret it.

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
23 now, looking back, when I was 17 that area below your temples near the sideburn area had kind of faded out, but I didn't notice it

when I was 19 is when I really noticed I was balding

rapidfrontal

Established Member
Reaction score
Gilgamesh said:
23 now, looking back, when I was 17 that area below your temples near the sideburn area had kind of faded out, but I didn't notice it

when I was 19 is when I really noticed I was balding

So therefore, you have non aggressive male pattern baldness. You are currently about 10 years ahead of your peers. By the time you are in your mid 30's many of your peers will have what you have now. That should be something that you can deal with without losing your sanity.

I'll bet you are a responder to finasteride/min/etc.

Gilgamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
it's weird, I'm hypothyroid and supposed to be on thyroid medication, but the stuff seems to nearly kill me

my eyebrows aren't growing anymore and are really sparse and my back/side has is thinning out considerably in the past few months, in a norwood 7 pattern, all in 30 days time, I sh*t you not, my entire body has started to scab around the hair follicles on my legs/arms/feet (i figured out what this was online, 'keratosis pilaris', benign condition, but thought to be caused by auto-immunological forces, which bodes poorly for my scalp which is now super red and painful at all times)

I have a host of other health problems that have been getting really bad lately

I suspect a combination alopecia areata with male pattern baldness

not sure what to do, doctors are sh*t, I've been sick since I was a kid and seen hundreds of doctors and they cause more harm than anything

they're so funded and biased by BIG PHARMA that they've lost any credibility

I'm not some conspiracy theorist extremist, I didn't want to believe it for the longest time, but if you've ever been really immersed in their world, you'll see things for how they are

which is why I know it's total horseshit that finasteride causes sides in 2% of people, it's an EXTREMELY dangerous drug which will significantly harm everyone's future and disrupt their all so crucial HPA axis

however, hair is so important, it's worth it

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
VWdude said:
these treatments are good and all and do some wonders for some people but i still think getting a hair transplant is the way to go for the best results... If I have 5 grand and nothing to do with it, i'll get one.
That sucks about your gf dude, she's not worth it for dumping you over hair... its alright though, one door closes and another door opens!

I'm beginning to think it's probablly in my best interest to go ahead cough up $5000 to fix my problem with my hairloss. The way I see it, if you have a negative opinion of yourself because of hairloss, other people will as well. It will affect your performance in everyday life as I myself don't get out and am not a go-getter as I once was. I see spending money on a hair transplant as a huge investment as that newfound confidence from a better head of hair is going to be a spiritual cleansing and bring a much better chance of success at life, in turn recaliming that $5000 on that hair transplant much faster. Within the next say.. 6 years or so when hair multiplication is a reality, that hair transplant will have done it's job in the interim to save us that grief and chances are we will all be better off financially to fund the multiplication procedure. I hope this makes sense to anyone..

2young

Reaction score
wangho75: I understand what you're saying, but I'm probably not going to go for a hair transplant if I can avoid it, especially knowing that HM will be out in the next 10 years (probably more like 5). I'm not even considering hair transplant until I've exhausted all of my treatment options, and even then, I'm still not too keen on the idea.

And Gilgamesh: I wouldn't look at you and automatically say "that dude's bald" In point of fact, before I started losing hair myself, I wouldn't have noticed anybody else's hairloss until they were at least a 3v/4. Everybody is their own worst critic. I went through a period where I thought my life would be over because I was going bald. I got depressed, stopped going out, etc. I still feel down about it sometimes, but you have to realize that even without your hair, you're still you, and if it takes a good head of hair for somebody to like or respect you, then f*** them, because they're not worth your time anyway.

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wow Gilgamesh! It looks like you haven't lost that much hair honestly! I know, I know, I'm not the one who's losing it but seriously dude, your hair doesn't look that bad.

There's allot of wisdom and excellent advice coming from your fellow male pattern baldness folks here. I'd encourage you NOT to connect bald and jerk together!!! What in the world are you doing that for?! Ok, so now that you're losing SOME of your hair that makes you a jerk? NOT! Re-evaluate what matters most in your life dude and lay off of drilling into yourself eh?!

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2young said:
wangho75: I understand what you're saying, but I'm probably not going to go for a hair transplant if I can avoid it, especially knowing that HM will be out in the next 10 years (probably more like 5). I'm not even considering hair transplant until I've exhausted all of my treatment options, and even then, I'm still not too keen on the idea.

And Gilgamesh: I wouldn't look at you and automatically say "that dude's bald" In point of fact, before I started losing hair myself, I wouldn't have noticed anybody else's hairloss until they were at least a 3v/4. Everybody is their own worst critic. I went through a period where I thought my life would be over because I was going bald. I got depressed, stopped going out, etc. I still feel down about it sometimes, but you have to realize that even without your hair, you're still you, and if it takes a good head of hair for somebody to like or respect you, then f*** them, because they're not worth your time anyway.

I've seen that it's already out in Mexico and few othe places overseas. Still not time to dit yet though.