Quiting Propecia - 7 months shed

Pullinghairs

Reaction score
So, I've been on 1mg finasteride. a day for about 7 months now. More recently, shedding has got worse and worse - I seem to have developed a habit of constantly running my fingers through my hair and every time I have about 3 or 4 hairs in my hand.

The only changes I have seen in the 7 months is that my hair has thinned dramatically around my temples especially. I'm thinking of throwing in the towel as the shed is becoming too much.

What I want to know is, will these shed hairs grow back to what they were originally before treatment, or have I lost those for good now? Really hope it's the former as otherwise I've just taken a pill for 7 months in order to THIN may hair out even more!

balding89

Established Member
Reaction score
Pullinghairs said:
So, I've been on 1mg finasteride. a day for about 7 months now. More recently, shedding has got worse and worse - I seem to have developed a habit of constantly running my fingers through my hair and every time I have about 3 or 4 hairs in my hand.

The only changes I have seen in the 7 months is that my hair has thinned dramatically around my temples especially. I'm thinking of throwing in the towel as the shed is becoming too much.

What I want to know is, will these shed hairs grow back to what they were originally before treatment, or have I lost those for good now? Really hope it's the former as otherwise I've just taken a pill for 7 months in order to THIN may hair out even more!

Hi,

I am in the exact sae situation. I have been shedding since starting 1.25mg finasteride daily. At teh moment I am 6 months in and still shedding everyday! When I run my fingers through my head I, just like you, get 3-4 hairs in my hands each time.. It's really frustrating..

Stupid sh*t pill, I rally don't know what the hell is happening.

FiniMin

Reaction score
This is copied from Dougies success story under the success story section and may give you, stone relief:
Sorry guys, busy.

"On finasteride...
The first 3 months were hell, but I kept my hair
real long. I know I shed like a banshee though.
Months 3-6 nothing really happened. Months
6-9 I had a horrible shed, but stuff started
growing toward the end as there was no change
in the way my hair looked. Then, months 10-12
things were awesome, I could start spiking my
hair up again which was sweet. Months 12-14 I
would say were pretty bad, I shed huge and my
spot which was bad, the area right up in the
front on my hairline, was ridiculously thin.
Month 15 or so everything picked up and my
hair has been that way since.
I would say the worst months were 6-9 and I
am currently in the best months. My ex chick
said my hair is way thicker than before and so
did my father who told me that he thought I
was losing my hair but and wanted to know
what happened.
Oh, I am a diffuse thinner and it worked equally
well everywhere.
The best part is, I more thanlikely would have
just stopped using it after 9 months because at
that time it didn't look significantly different. A
combination of not cutting my hair til after 9
months and knowing from this website that I
would need to wait out the sheds kept me going
on it.
Oh, I got my fincar from inhousepharmacy I
believe.
I have a pic, but I don't really want to host it
anywhere. If I could just upload it here I would."

So as you can see it takes time and patience. Ive been on finasteride for seven months and not expecting anything for another 5 months at my 1 year point. Quiting gaurantees continued hair loss and staying on finasteride can only help it.

Sensie

Reaction score
I hear ya..

I'm coming up on 8 months of finasteride and I haven't noticed anything other than intense thinning all on top.

Hairs falling out without even touching my head, at work Ill feel a hair drop on my ear or nose or something..

Lots in the shower and at least 5 when I put my hand through it.

My hair is thinner than when I started it, it's getting harder to hide my scalp and a quick breeze or wind wisp will reveal the thin *** hair i have .. tried minoxidil foam and it made it even worse. :thumbdown2:

Sanchez1234

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hear ya..

I'm coming up on 8 months of finasteride and I haven't noticed anything other than intense thinning all on top.

Hairs falling out without even touching my head, at work Ill feel a hair drop on my ear or nose or something..

Lots in the shower and at least 5 when I put my hand through it.

My hair is thinner than when I started it, it's getting harder to hide my scalp and a quick breeze or wind wisp will reveal the thin *** hair i have .. tried minoxidil foam and it made it even worse. :thumbdown2:
Same situation here.. i am thinning al over but did not notice a shed. Did you continued propecia?

rafiles

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi,

I am in the exact sae situation. I have been shedding since starting 1.25mg finasteride daily. At teh moment I am 6 months in and still shedding everyday! When I run my fingers through my head I, just like you, get 3-4 hairs in my hands each time.. It's really frustrating..

Stupid sh*t pill, I rally don't know what the hell is happening.

I used 3 or 4 years finasteride (no improvement, everyday),
used it not so often (every week, no shedding)
stopped it (no shedding)

What I mean is maybe this shedding is a good sign, you should wait min 1 year, what I understand is no shedding means it hasnt any effect.