questions regarding topical finasteride

Towlie123

Reaction score
So i went to a "hair loss" clinic. Ive been told theres no reason to fear any side affects of minoxidil + finasteride topical usage, because its external use and you dont swallow a pill.

Is this anywhere close to be true? i tried reading about it online, but cannot find anything decisive about it.

I do not wanna take finasteride, since i dont wanna deal with any of the potential sides. So im trying to understand if topical usage (even if its less effective), can be a safe solution or not.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
So i went to a "hair loss" clinic. Ive been told theres no reason to fear any side affects of minoxidil + finasteride topical usage, because its external use and you dont swallow a pill.

Is this anywhere close to be true? i tried reading about it online, but cannot find anything decisive about it.

I do not wanna take finasteride, since i dont wanna deal with any of the potential sides. So im trying to understand if topical usage (even if its less effective), can be a safe solution or not.
It goes systemic and builds up slowly over time in all tissues.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
read the studies, it is supposedly safer, it does go systemic but suppression and incidence of side effects are lower. some simpletons like the other one who commented cannot understand this however. the idea that it slowly builds up over time in tissues is completely made up and does not make sense biologically no has it been shown in studies. after 2 weeks max suppression is reached with topical finasteride, no more suppression after that (and since dht only exists in tissues that includes tissues of course).

Towlie123

Reaction score
what do you mean by "and since dht only exists in tissues that includes tissues of course"

im curious if theres a "safe" way to do so. - if it does enter the system and causes big changes in DHT, is it something that can be found in blood tests?
meaning, is it possible to get some blood tests before using, and stop using if theres a change? (instead of waiting for side effects)

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
I was 14 years on oral with minor sides the whole time. I switched to topical seven months ago and have zero sides, plus it’s more effective than oral for me.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
what do you mean by "and since dht only exists in tissues that includes tissues of course"

im curious if theres a "safe" way to do so. - if it does enter the system and causes big changes in DHT, is it something that can be found in blood tests?
meaning, is it possible to get some blood tests before using, and stop using if theres a change? (instead of waiting for side effects)

I was 14 years on oral with minor sides the whole time. I switched to topical seven months ago and have zero sides, plus it’s more effective than oral for me.
Finasteride doesnt work. You were never balding just BDD.

Jack Ito

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bro I thought you meant you were 14 years old on finasteride then I was gonna say no wonder you got sides you mad guy

abcdefg

Reaction score

No, one knows for sure. In theory yes, but we dont know. Honestly, if I could tolerate the pill id go that route instead. 10 times easier, consistent DHT suppression, studies proving it works....
The topical stuff we have no idea if it really penetrates or works as well. Might get the same sides anyway