[questions] On Finasteride For 3.5 Months And Want To Quit

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
Recap with questions at end.

Hey guys,

Been taking the drug for three and a half months but I want to stop due to slight side effects. My semen is thinner and watery and I'm concerned about it. I also don't wanna inhibit beard growth or get moobs. I do feel like my body does tolerate the drug pretty well so far.

I don't have bad hairloss at all. I'm about a NW1.5, and have been this way since at least 2015, with little to no change. I've seen maybe some slight slight regrowth in the past three months in the temples but it's not worth it for me at my current stage right now in my opinion.

I started taking the drug primarily to see if it would help my bad scalp pain and inflammation and I THINK it did, but it could just be in my head and I'm not conpulsively touching my hair nearly as much as I did pre-finasteride so perhaps I was doing it to myself by excessively touching my hair. So I wanna stop to see if my scalp pain and thicc semen comes back fam.

I currently already shed a ton of hair. I consistently see over 100 hairs in the shower everyday. I've shed this much hair consistently everyday since at least 2015 (and maybe prior, I never paid much attention but I remember always clogging the shower drain) and have had really no change in hairline or crown. I do however have a ton of long hair on my head, so there's more to shed than the average user here I'd say.

What I am concerned about is stopping finasteride. Will stopping overload my DHT levels, causing my body and hair to freak out and cause irreversible shedding?? If I weened off of it I'd be concerned about constantly fluctuating my hormone levels, which sounds awful. I doubt I would've lost anything in the last three months had I not taken the drug.

Recap:

1. Will stopping finasteride cause a ton of shedding due to my hair being without as much dht the last three months? I doubt I would've lost much hair, if any, naturally had I not started the drug three months ago.

2. Anyone know how long finasteride stays in the body after the last dose? And how long it takes the body to make new 5alpha reductase?

3. How long will it take for my semen to become thicc again?

4. Would cold turkey be the best option or would slowly weening off of it be better? I'm concerned about both. I don't wanna cause my DHT to skyrocket all at once but if I weened off of it I'd feel like I'd be constantly varying my hormone levels, causing them to fluctuate. Both sound like a pretty good way to cause telogen effluvium. Which is better a better option?

5. Would stopping finasteride shock my hair follicles? My concern is that for the past three month they've been in a good happy dht-less environment but all of sudden get hit by dht. Would I be in worse condition because I took and stopped the drug compared to if I just never took it in the first place?

Thanks fam!

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
This. I'm worried about it too. As I've seen from studies men who were on propecia and went off lost more hair in a year than men who never took propecia. Here's graph:
http://www.thewestminsterpractice.c.../2007/11/mean_change_crossover_data_chart.gif

I think you're interpreting that graph wrong, if you're talking about the group that was on propecia, off propecia, and then on again. It looks like once they stopped, they started to follow the place on group again. It's not like they dipped below the hair counts of the placebo group after stopping.

Also! Looking at the bottom looks like there was about a tenth of the people in this group. Are these sample sizes really comparable?

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you're interpreting that graph wrong, if you're talking about the group that was on propecia, off propecia, and then on again. It looks like once they stopped, they started to follow the place on group again. It's not like they dipped below the hair counts of the placebo group after stopping.

Also! Looking at the bottom looks like there was about a tenth of the people in this group. Are these sample sizes really comparable?
The group that took propecia first year and placebo 2nd lost more from year1 to year2 than group that was on placebo entire time lost from year 1 to year 2. Both groups had around 60 people in it. I guess it's not entirely accurate but still...

stump

Established Member
Reaction score
The group that took propecia first year and placebo 2nd lost more from year1 to year2 than group that was on placebo entire time lost from year 1 to year 2. Both groups had around 60 people in it. I guess it's not entirely accurate but still...

Oh right. That could probably be explained by the fact that they took propecia for a year and technically had more to lose because they regrew some in the prior year by taking the drug, and they also saved some hairs that probably would've fallen out in that first year of taking propecia.

They're actually still above the placebo group even after a year of not taking the drug. I bet if they kept being given the placebo they would've started losing hair at slower rate, following that of the placebo group. I wish they had that data...

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh right. That could probably be explained by the fact that they took propecia for a year and technically had more to lose because they regrew some in the prior year by taking the drug, and they also saved some hairs that probably would've fallen out in that first year of taking propecia.

They're actually still above the placebo group even after a year of not taking the drug. I bet if they kept being given the placebo they would've started losing hair at slower rate, following that of the placebo group. I wish they had that data...
I wouldn't quit it if I were you. Watery semen is normal for taking propecia and you didn't get any more sides. Choice is yours tho

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm only on 0.25 mg right now
Finasteride has a flat dose response and so 0.25mg is essentially the same as taking 1mg(at least for hair), see this graph here:
texte_alt_504atl-jpg-jpg.jpg

Consider going down to 0.1mg or even lower at a microdose and see how you respond. Some people in the microdose thread had sides at 0.2mg but not 0.05mg as an example.

About the semen thing, I think this is a trade off honestly but you could get some improvement via creatine (raises DHT), l-arginine, drinking lots of water, etc. Also by not jacking off daily. In my opinion it's just unrealistic to have unaffected semen while on this drug, every person who has had a sperm count test had a lower sperm count after finasteride, however it's not a huge deal as long as you're still functioning overall.

This is more important when you're attempting to conceive a child and in that case you would take a one month break from finasteride(and the previous month weening off) because finasteride leaches into semen.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it didnt lose any effect they just stopped taking it? Cant you read?

Can't you read? One group took Propecia for 5 years and between year 1 and year 5 their hair status has worsened significantly.

Last edited:

deadhairfollicle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can't you read? One group took Propecia for 5 years and between year 1 and year 5 there hair status has worsened significantly.
Not significantly lol. It slighty loses effect over the years. Compare it to placebo group.

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
"Bad scalp pain and inflammation"
What else have you tried to combat these? I assume Nizoral etc? Did you try changing your diet?