Questions about Finasteride

PHH

Reaction score
I'm 23 years old, but started losing my hair when I was 15. My Dad was taking finasteride so I started too and have taken 1mg a day since. It's been such a habit to pop the pill every morning that I never gave great thought to it. I've just recently have heard about the side effects. I don't have any sexual side effects, but not sure about the others as I've been taking finasteride for so long I probably wouldn't be able to remember if I am the same now as before I started taking.

I'm curious that if I were to stop taking the 1mg a day for about 2 weeks if hormone levels are suppose to go back to normal during that amount of time and if I would lose all my hair during those 2 weeks?

Also if DHT is the cause of male pattern baldness do people who do not go bald have lower levels of DHT (which is suppose to cause these hormonal imbalances and side effects as depression, foggyness, decrease confidence etc.) ?

Thanks Alot

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
PHH said:
I'm curious that if I were to stop taking the 1mg a day for about 2 weeks if hormone levels are suppose to go back to normal during that amount of time and if I would lose all my hair during those 2 weeks?

It would take a lot longer than just 2 weeks. It would take several months.

PHH said:
Also if DHT is the cause of male pattern baldness do people who do not go bald have lower levels of DHT (which is suppose to cause these hormonal imbalances and side effects as depression, foggyness, decrease confidence etc.) ?

Overall systemic levels of DHT don't really much to do with the propensity for balding. Balding has to do with the sensitivity that scalp hair follicles have to androgens. That's has to do with genetics.