Question Regarding The Effect Of Stopping Finasteride

Feanor

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here. I've been losing hair since i was 19 (22 now), i am somewhere between a Norwood 2.5 and a NW3. First of all i want to thank you guys for the incredible help and support that you provide for hair loss sufferers and i will do my best to contribute with valuable info/ experiences. (I am moroccan so i have trouble getting some of my ideas across in english).
Anyhow, as of late i've been considering taking finasteride to stop my hairloss and i've read somewhere that once you stop taking it, you revert back to the level of baldness you would have been at had you never taken the drug. Isn't it more logical that once you stop it, you would go back to the level of baldness you had just before starting it, thus gaining some years?(Since, to my knowledge finasteride blocks the conversion of testosterone to DHT) .Finasteride loses a lot of its attractiveness imo if the former is true.
Thanks in advance guys!

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. If you start taking finasteride lets say at NW3 then after 8/10/12 months you will see reverse situation of balding (progressing/regrowth+maintaning) and then lets say you throw finasteride after 3 years on it. You will go back to NW3 instantly and for sure you may notice increased or accelerated male pattern baldness due to 2ar upregulation but you may be lucky and not experience it so you can be this "NW3". But mostly people do. So yeah basically we are stoping and braking the baldness but psychicaly we might be bald at the moment after we throw 3 years of using regimen to the trash. If you choose to start finasteride. Stick with it. Someone on this forum told me one thing at the begining here. Take pill or go bald. Hope i explained you somehow how it works. Just lurk a lot on forum, read succes stories, read finasteride horror stories and other shits. Build your knowledge and dont be afraid of asking everything. Have a good weekend.

Last edited:

Janekoman12

Established Member
Reaction score
  1. the drug must be used forever
  2. one might experience shedding in the first 1-3 months
  3. once a patient stops, any newly gained benefits will be lost in 9-12 months
  4. if one takes for 5-10 years and then stops, they may look much more bald than on day 1 (starting day) because they hair loss will 'catch up' to what it would have been if the drug were not used.

Feanor

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for answering! So let's say i have a twin brother. If i use finasteride for X years and he doesn't; will we be on the same level of baldness after i come off it?(6-12 months after coming off). Or will the hairloss pick up right where it stopped the day i started taking finasteride? From your response i assume it's sadly the former, which is kind of depressing.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You will be at the same level if your body will function similar to your brother body. And ofcourse, sharing the same balding genes. You can be twins,but your "half" might not suffer from male pattern baldness. + hormones circulating levels. But yeah, probably at the same level. I know twin brothers with male pattern baldness. They are 20, one is NW2 the second one is NW5. Shock. Maybe not NW2 i would say NW3.

Last edited: