Question: finasteride distribution in Proscar

yuthe

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got a prescription to Proscar, but was warned that the finasteride may not uniformly distributed throughout the Proscar pill. In otherwords, the finasteride might be concentrated in one area of the pill, and there may be parts of the pill that contain little finasteride.

This would be problematic when cutting the pill into 5ths. If the finasteride is not uniformly distributed, you may be getting an underdose or overdose each day when taking a fragment of the pill each day. However if I use propecia, then I am sure that I will be getting the correct dosage each day.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

ropcat

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about your question on the distribution throughout the pill. But since as little as 0.2 mg/day is almost as efficacious in preventing DHT formation as 5 mg/day, I'd guess that certain variations in the daily dosing shouldn't be a big problem.

doubleplay

Established Member
Reaction score
yuthe said:
Hi, I recently got a prescription to Proscar, but was warned that the finasteride may not uniformly distributed throughout the Proscar pill. In otherwords, the finasteride might be concentrated in one area of the pill, and there may be parts of the pill that contain little finasteride.

This would be problematic when cutting the pill into 5ths. If the finasteride is not uniformly distributed, you may be getting an underdose or overdose each day when taking a fragment of the pill each day. However if I use propecia, then I am sure that I will be getting the correct dosage each day.

Thanks!

as far as the eye can read its no problem. As long if it's built up in your system .75 one day and 1.25 the next doesnt really matter. Thats why i BITE my tab into 4ths. Someones Dr on here told him biting it is better anyhow because when you cut the pills you are shaving them a bit as well, hense less finasteride.

yuthe

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys. My doctor warned me about this - mostly cuz he wasn't sure about the matter himself.

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
1) put 100 proscar pills in a blender to create powder finasteride
2) add a pinch of finasteride-powder to your orange juice in the morning
3) start a lemonade stand with finasteride-powder instead of sugar
4) profit $$$

oni

Reaction score
Your Doctor is stupid he deals out "HOW" many pills and does not know how there made lol! :hairy: do yourself a favour get another Doctor.

G

I don’t think this concept is stupid, I have read on a few occasions that the finastride may not be distributed evenly throughout the 5mg Proscar pill.

As a result the dosage will vary from day to day which in turn will not keep a stable suppression of DHT thus giving mixed and varied results/side effects in comparison to a daily stable 1mg of finastride Propecia pill.

Distressed

ropcat

Established Member
Reaction score
Distressed said:
As a result the dosage will vary from day to day which in turn will not keep a stable suppression of DHT thus giving mixed and varied results/side effects in comparison to a daily stable 1mg of finastride Propecia pill.

No. Variations in the dosage still WILL produce a stable suppression of DHT (or, prevention of DHT formation through competitive binding with 5AR-II, to be exact). Serum DHT is lowered by similar percentages with Finasteride doses ranging from 0.2 mg/day to 5 mg/day. And the dosing variations that might stem from an uneven distribution throughout the pill will produce much more minor deviations than that range.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
doubleplay said:
yuthe said:

Thanks!

as far as the eye can read its no problem. As long if it's built up in your system .75 one day and 1.25 the next doesnt really matter. Thats why i BITE my tab into 4ths. Someones Dr on here told him biting it is better anyhow because when you cut the pills you are shaving them a bit as well, hense less finasteride.

that was my Gp who said so.

Proscar is nothing but Finasteride.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
> that was my Gp who said so.

After you cut your proscar, it really doesn't matter if there's a uniform 1mg per dosage.

Regardless of whether you cut your proscar into 4 pieces or 5, by the time you've gobbled up your last piece you've taken 5 mg of finasteride.

It's perfectly fine to cut proscar tabs.

eliazush

Established Member
Reaction score
it is spread evenly!

Hi everybody, I am new here in this forum, but not new in the regrowth field...have been using hairloss products for years.

I am a pharmacist, and I would like to tell you all, that finasteride IS spread evenly in the proscar or propecia pills. Unless otherwise is indicated on the pack (such as divitabs, or controll release, retarded etc.) all tabs and pills are made to have same amount of active ingredients in every part of them. It's all part of the manufacturing of tabs and pills. As someone who has made tabs during his studies, I can tell you that a mixture of powders is made, consisting of the active ingredient/s and assisting ingredients such as fillers, glues, waxing agents etc. to give the tab/pill its final size, properties, rigidity, stability under packing, transporting and more.
The mixture of powder is WELL shaked and mixed, for it is tranferred through tubes and pipes in the machine...Moreover, the mixture is poured into the tablet-shaped-wholes as a homogenic powder, and the machine is measuring the amount needed for the wholes by WEIGHT which REQUIERES for a well mixed, homogenic mixture. In fact, making tabs that consist of ingredients that are NOT evenly spread would cost much more, because it means interfering with the process and changing on purpose the manufacturing.

There are tabs and pills on the market that are not evenly spread but those pills are INTENDED to be so, because they are formulated to give a control release AND to be able to be split...Tablets that are made to give a slow release in the body are usually made of a matrix which is made of layers of ingredients. These layers melt and release in the body over time in a certain profile. Splitting such tabs would ruin the matrix and impair the slow release profile. If sush tabs are DESIGNED IN ADVANCE to be split by the manufacturer, one of the technologies to do so is to make a tab that has a splitting line (so that the patient will know where to split it) but is actually made of two parts inside. Each part is made of a matrix that gives a slow release profile, and these two parts are conected to each other to form a whole nice tab. The patient can split the tab (if he consumes 1.5 tabs together, for example) according to the splitting line on the tab and then to get these two parts seperatley. This is a reason why not to spread the ingredients evenly. And of course, if there's no reason to invest that much of money on this kind of formulation the manufacturers WON'T do it.

So, I am SURE that Propecia and Porscar are homogenic pills. However,
a different issue which is still possible is the coating...the coating of the proscar is cut and breakes after cutting the pill. I don't believe that the coating effects the activity of this specific drug...surely it effects the absorption profile, but doesn't change the pharmacologic activity of the drug.

Eliaz.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Re: it is spread evenly!

eliazuh said:
Hi everybody, I am new here in this forum, but not new in the regrowth field...have been using hairloss products for years.

I am a pharmacist, and I would like to tell you all, that finasteride IS spread evenly in the proscar or propecia pills. . . .. . . Eliaz.

eliazuh

welcome! good to have you with us.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Well eliazuh finally put that silly non-homogenous theory to rest. Thanks eliazuh!!