Question about roagine and showering

What13

Reaction score
How long after applying rogaine foam should I wait to shower? Will applying it, rubbing it in, letting it dry, then showering 20/30 minutes later make it not as effective? I don't like the way it makes my hair look and feel after it dries so I like to shower. Thanks in advance for any information you guys can provide!

thebump98

Reaction score
good question .. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say .. [ i don't currently use minoxidil but i might have to start soon ]

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well I would say if you are applying Rogaine twice a day,then leave it on your scalp for at least an hour before washing it off in the morning and you can just go to bed an hour after you have applied it at night.The stuff is supposed to stay on your scalp for 4 hours for maximum benefits.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
What13 said:
How long after applying rogaine foam should I wait to shower? Will applying it, rubbing it in, letting it dry, then showering 20/30 minutes later make it not as effective? I don't like the way it makes my hair look and feel after it dries so I like to shower. Thanks in advance for any information you guys can provide!

If you don't like the way Rogaine foam makes your hair look, I would recommend switching to a minoxidil solution. It is best to leave minoxidil on your scalp all day. After it dries, absorption will continue for several hours.

zephyr31

Established Member
Reaction score
every supplier iv contacted has said most of the minoxidil will be absorbed after 1 hour. if its not in ur scalp after that it most likely will never be.

its not gradually soaking in over the day like some others seem to think, (according to the producers).

so apply, leave on for 1 hour, wash your hair and style ur hair like a human:).

thebump98

Reaction score
well 1-2hrs of absorption is sill better than none , at least that's how i see it .. i recently started Min. this month .. I'm using Kirkland liq.

- really banking on some regrowth with Min. since finasteride has done nothing for me I'm well below baseline [8months]

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
zephyr31 said:
every supplier iv contacted has said most of the minoxidil will be absorbed after 1 hour. if its not in ur scalp after that it most likely will never be.

its not gradually soaking in over the day like some others seem to think, (according to the producers).

so apply, leave on for 1 hour, wash your hair and style ur hair like a human:).

You are actually not even close. Here is a medical study that Bryan posted here a while back.

J Pharm Sci. 1990 Jun;79(6):483-6.

"Relationship between contact time of applied dose and percutaneous absorption of minoxidil from a topical solution." Ferry JJ, Shepard JH, Szpunar GJ.

"Twenty-two healthy male volunteers completed a four-way, multiple-dose, randomized crossover study to determine the relationship between contact time of applied drug on the scalp and minoxidil absorption from a 2% topical solution. One milliliter of solution was applied twice daily over 150 cm2 of bald scalp to each subject for 6 days. Unabsorbed drug was washed off the scalp after 1, 2, 4, and 11.5 h of contact time in each of four treatments. Cumulative urinary excretion profiles within steady-state, 12-h dosing intervals were well described by straight lines for all treatments, indicating that systemic minoxidil elimination was rate controlled by constant, zero-order percutaneous drug absorption. The extent of minoxidil absorption, expressed as steady-state urinary excretion of unchanged minoxidil, minoxidil glucuronide, or the sum of these, increased in a disproportionate manner with increase in contact time of drug on the scalp. Relative to the amount absorbed after a contact time of 11.5 h, absorption was approximately 50% complete by 1 h and greater than 75% complete by 4 h. This suggests that minoxidil absorption from the vehicle into skin occurs rapidly relative to diffusion through skin. The rate of minoxidil absorption from vehicle into skin was characterized as nonlinear, whereas minoxidil excretion into urine was rate controlled by diffusion from one or more components of the skin which apparently serve as a reservoir, or depot, for minoxidil."

50% absorption in the first hour, and around 75% by the fourth hour. If you don't wash your hair, your scalp will likely still be absorbing minoxidil all the way up until your next application.