Question About Hygiene, Lace Vs Poly

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm considering a system, the 0.03 poly hairline looks impressive but i live in a hot country and i'm an active person so i sweat from my scalp too, don't bacteria build up under it?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm considering a system, the 0.03 poly hairline looks impressive but i live in a hot country and i'm an active person so i sweat from my scalp too, don't bacteria build up under it?

I'm super active, sweat a lot and also have an oily scalp. When I started wearing a hair system I really don't like the idea of not being able to wash my scalp daily. Even though I shower and rinsing my head daily with the hair system on, I just don't feel my scalp underneath the system get to clean at all. It's like showering with clothes on or washing my stinky feet with a sock on..... I just feel that my sweaty oily scalp beneath the system isn't getting cleaned at all. I follow the majority kept my system on for couple week and during that month I'm worried that the sweat will clog the pores of my scalp and trigger bacterial growth. Lucky no fungal infection on the scalp but that time was during the winter season.

After a month later, I switched to skin base UTS with Got2B glue or weaker tape (Walker 1522) instead of Ghostbond, Walker Ultra hold or front lace tapes. This new method has allowed me to remove my system daily, or every 2-3 days which is so much better. I can wash my scalp daily or every 2-3 days and can sleep without the system. Going this new route is much healthier and sanitary for me compared to keeping the system on for weeks.

Last edited:

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm super active, sweat a lot and also have an oily scalp, When I started wearing hair system I really don't like the idea of not being able to wash my scalp daily. Even though I shower and rinsing my head daily with the hair system on, I just don't feel my scalp underneath the system get to clear at all. It's like showering with clothes on or washing my sticky feet with a sock on..... I just feel that my sweaty oily scalp beneath the system isn't getting cleaned at all. I follow the majority kept my system on for couple week and during that month I'm worried that the sweat will clog the pores of my scalp and trigger bacterial growth. Lucky no fungal infection on the scalp but that time was during the winter season.

After a month later, I switched to skin base UTS with Got2B glue or weaker tape (Walker 1522) instead of Ghostbond, Walker Ultra hold or front lace tapes. This new method has allowed me to remove my system daily, or every 2-3 days which is so much better. I can wash my scalp daily or every 2-3 days and can sleep without the system. Going this new route is much healthier and sanitary for me compared to keeping the system on for weeks.

I am guessing that removing a poly system everyday is not recommended considering how fragile it is.
Which one do you recommend? Poly or lace?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

By the way, I was in Southeast Asia for a few weeks this summer (last month). The weather was very hot, muggy, downpour sometime and high humidity just like being in a sauna room where sweat doesn’t evaporate. I've walked at least 10-15 miles every day so sweat dripping down crazy. I walk inside the air condition mall or 7/11 to cool down my body temperature. Surprisingly, my UTS held up great with only a thin layer of Got2b. I packed two extra lace systems and some stronger glues /tapes as backups, luck that l didn't have to use it at all.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am guessing that removing a poly system everyday is not recommended considering how fragile it is.
Which one do you recommend? Poly or lace?
What's the difference between Poly and UTS Skin base? I assume they are the same material, isn't it?
Anyway, I heard people say UTS is very fragile so before I order UTS I was afraid I could tear the base too. After wearing UTS for months. I notice that the 0.03mm UTS base is much stronger than I expect. I still don't understand why all the UTS description says "one month of lifespan" ??? I think mine UTS can wear it for 6 to 8 plus months.

Last edited:

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just got an all-poly system - .04mm in thickness, according to the vendor. I'll measure it with digital calipers when I get home to see if that's accurate.

It's extraordinarily heavy. That's the biggest difference I've seen so far. It's a joke how heavy it is.

The plus is you can easily glue it to your head without worrying about the glue - Got2B in my case - seeping through the base and getting into the hair. Obviously, if I used a strong hair piece glue, like Ghostbond, that seepage would be very to the hair it gets on.

I've now also heard from someone on this board that the V-loops these systems use become damaged when you run a brush through wet, v-looped hair; if that's the case, then this unit doesn't suit my needs at all.

I'm already quite dissatisfied w it. I live in Boston, where it's getting cold already; there is no way I could have worn this unit during the summer.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just got an all-poly system - .04mm in thickness, according to the vendor. I'll measure it with digital calipers when I get home to see if that's accurate.

It's extraordinarily heavy. That's the biggest difference I've seen so far. It's a joke how heavy it is.

The plus is you can easily glue it to your head without worrying about the glue - Got2B in my case - seeping through the base and getting into the hair. Obviously, if I used a strong hair piece glue, like Ghostbond, that seepage would be very to the hair it gets on.

I've now also heard from someone on this board that the V-loops these systems use become damaged when you run a brush through wet, v-looped hair; if that's the case, then this unit doesn't suit my needs at all.

I'm already quite dissatisfied w it. I live in Boston, where it's getting cold already; there is no way I could have worn this unit during the summer.

If you applied too much Got2b it can seep through the base. I only apply a one super thin coat on the skin base. I use a fingertip to apply even coat on the skin base.

I brush all my hair systems when they are wet and it doesn't seem like losing any hair. Make sure don't use any regular brush. I only use detangle hair brush and wide pick comb.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you applied too much Got2b it can seep through the base. I only apply a one super thin coat on the skin base. I use a fingertip to apply even coat on the skin base.

I brush all my hair systems when they are wet and it doesn't seem like losing any hair. Make sure don't use any regular brush. I only use detangle hair brush and wide pick comb.

Someone mentioned that V Loops are vulnerable when wet, which sounds ridiculous to me.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

"It's extraordinarily heavy." I thinks heavy hair system probably caused by thick hair density, big base size, and long length of hair.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
My digital calipers can't offer a good measurement on the base thickness. Most tests suggested it's probably .03mm rather than four.

Either way, it's incredibly thin.

I too wonder if it's an issue of base size compounded by hair length. My previous units have been 7.5 inches by 6.5. This is a standard 10x8 cap.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also is it ok to use tape w these systems ?

I never got much mileage out of any previous tape I've used. 3 to 4 days.

Thinking on tape all around w Got2B at the very hairline, so that poly shine subsides

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also is it ok to use tape w these systems ?

I never got much mileage out of any previous tape I've used. 3 to 4 days.

Thinking on tape all around w Got2B at the very hairline, so that poly shine subsides

I wore a Super thin skin (0.06-0.08mm) before wearing 0.03mm UTS. The UTS is much thinner than STS. I can't tell any difference wearing an STS comparing with UTS. Yes, it is okay to use tape on the skin base. I use tapes around the perimeter or only use it on both sides and leave a small open gap behind for ventilation. If I use Got2b or Ghostbone for the hairline, I lightly spread one thin layer of either glue on the skin base hairline part. I stretched a little bit to make sure no wrinkles or bubbles on the system when I do the attachment.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm going to cut into the hairline on this one - where I f'd up cutting - to get that base a little smaller.