Question About dutasteride.

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the oily skin/small bump-type zits on my forehead from proscar 1/4...I'm going to schedue an appt. with a dermatologist soon.

Here's the thing -- If I ever switch to dutasteride, would it follow that my skin would get even more oily?

I know that finasteride. sometimes clears up people's faces, and dutasteride. makes people's skin dry, but wouldn't the logic hold that since i have an oily face on proscar, that it'd be even worse on dutasteride.?

drinkrum

Reaction score
Give it a couple of months and the acne/oily skin from finasteride should clear right up. It is suspected that the temporary increase in testosterone production causes the zits and greasiness. Just be patient. Baby steps.

D.

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
actually, i've been on it 11 months, and the zits haven't gone away. if anything, they've gotten worse.

i'm going to tell the derm that i'm on finasteride. of course. i don't want to take anything that will make my teeth gray, or can make me lose hair. maybe retin-a is the answer, but i've heard mixed reviews.

like i said, i'm worried if that i have zits on 11 months, that dutasteride. will give me exponentially worse zits.

though dry/wrinkled skin is worse; i don't know if you can treat that.

Goingat20

Reaction score
I got zits to, im sure they are from dutasteride as i didnt get any on finasteride. Ive nearly been on dutasteride for a year, they started to appear around 3 month ago and havent gone yet... They are annoying

micky b

Reaction score
Actually dutasteride should dry your skin compared to finasteride as it blocks the other type of dht that regulates sebum (oil). My skin is dryer on dutasteride than it was on finasteride.

micky b

Reaction score
I started finasteride in my mid thirties and have had trouble with forehead acne the entire time. I was on it for close to 6 years.

harey

Established Member
Reaction score
woud it stand to reason that dutasteride. would work forever...finasteride...your male pattern baldness starts progressing at a rate where the 6- or 70% blockage is no longer enough, but the 90% of dutasteride (and of both types) -- wouldn't that mean you could be on it forever. granted, it's untested and may lead to problems down the road, but hey.

also, is there a medication i should ask my derm for. i know retin-a may or may not work, but are there oral meds i should request? nothing that will make my teeth or whatever else fucked up, though.

thanks.