Question About Dutasteride And Prolonged Shedding Phase

ViktorOsborn

My Regimen
Reaction score
So i've been on 0.5mg of dutasteride daily for 4 months and a half and after month 2 i started shedding insane amounts of hair every day and it is still going on. I've read in forums that the shed should occur in the first 6 weeks and stop after a while but mine kinda took a while to begin and now it just won't stop, i am really scared cuz i am losing a lot of hair and now a bunch of areas of my scalp that weren't visible before are showing (specially in the temples). I've always thought that the drug should be working cuz since the first month i got massive increase in testosterone and my face and hair got extremely oily and i read that increasing levels of testosterone are expected since DHT is reduced ( i am not an expert in the subject ). So is it normal that i am still shedding in pretty much month 5? Should i continue the treatment and if so until how long is ok for me to tell if it isn't working ? Should i decrease dosage or frequency? And when will be safe to descontinue if i want to without messing with my hair growth cycle ?
Thanks guys, i am really scared here, any helpful advice will be appreciated ( i'm 25 btw and english is not my main language so sorry about the terrible grammar ).

Dontwannabeabetabob

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
To my witness of reading ancedetal reports when it comes to anti androgens is there is a shedding period, so it's not to worry in month 5. Take monthly pictures to assess, if your situation dramatically continues to deteriorate I'd stop. Since you're on month 5 I'd give it at least a year, but before that year like I said if your situation exponentially gets worse I'd discontinue. Then again to my knowledge shedding isn't mentioned in any of the studies.

Last edited:

arnoldd

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it's rarely shedding on month 5..but it's impossible dutas make your hair loss worse. are you taking something else ? give it 1 year for taking a decision

cyrusthegreat@hotmail.com

Established Member
Reaction score
it's rarely shedding on month 5..but it's impossible dutas make your hair loss worse. are you taking something else ? give it 1 year for taking a decision

Nothing is impossible when you're playing with your hormones. I would suggest stopping if your loss hasn't slowed or stopped by month 6. Also, if you're experiencing much oiler scalp along with itching then I would stop. Scalp oil and itch are generally thought to reduce on finasteride and dutasteride unless you're also using minoxidil solution.

wolfman

My Regimen
Reaction score
So i've been on 0.5mg of dutasteride daily for 4 months and a half and after month 2 i started shedding insane amounts of hair every day and it is still going on. I've read in forums that the shed should occur in the first 6 weeks and stop after a while but mine kinda took a while to begin and now it just won't stop, i am really scared cuz i am losing a lot of hair and now a bunch of areas of my scalp that weren't visible before are showing (specially in the temples). I've always thought that the drug should be working cuz since the first month i got massive increase in testosterone and my face and hair got extremely oily and i read that increasing levels of testosterone are expected since DHT is reduced ( i am not an expert in the subject ). So is it normal that i am still shedding in pretty much month 5? Should i continue the treatment and if so until how long is ok for me to tell if it isn't working ? Should i decrease dosage or frequency? And when will be safe to descontinue if i want to without messing with my hair growth cycle ?
Thanks guys, i am really scared here, any helpful advice will be appreciated ( i'm 25 btw and english is not my main language so sorry about the terrible grammar ).

Took me TWO YEARS on dutasteride to regrow.

Stick it out.

Hair-pun

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely don’t stop dutasteride. You’ll shed big time. dutasteride is rarely hugely effective on hairlines. You may need to add a topical AA like RU or CB. Mix 50mg RU or cb into stemoxydine and apply to hairline once per day on clean hair