Question About Compound Push/pull Movements

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
hi guys

So I have done a bit of research into weightlifting and have read about the whole push/pull concept.

For every push movement you need to equal it with a pull. Ok so I get that but I'm abit confused about the routine that is commonly given for the upper body

I've read you should do two push compound exercises and two pulls compound exercises. And have two horizontal and two vertical. So for example: bench press (horizontal push), shoulder press (vertical push), some kind of row (horizontal pull), pull up/lat pull down (vertical pull).

This basic beginner workout will work everything. Later on I've read you can include some isolation work like biceps curls etc

Anyway what I am confused about is with this workout, you are working out your back twice compared to your chest only once.

Is this normal, are you meant to work out your back more? Do you need to include another chest workout? But then won't this tip the push/pull balance out of whack?

Cheers!!

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol aren't your goals aesthetics?

I decide what to focus on by constantly evaluating my body in the mirror and deciding what areas need more concentration.

I wouldn't get caught up worrying about that push pull thing. Working out with aesthetics as the goal will make you plenty strong

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol aren't your goals aesthetics?

I decide what to focus on by constantly evaluating my body in the mirror and deciding what areas need more concentration.

I wouldn't get caught up worrying about that push pull thing. Working out with aesthetics as the goal will make you plenty strong

yes I want to look good. but I also don't want to f*** myself up. ive read that you need to have a balance of push and pulls to prevent yourself from future injuries.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
yes I want to look good. but I also don't want to f*** myself up. ive read that you need to have a balance of push and pulls to prevent yourself from future injuries.

I've been working out for 10+ years without worrying about push/pull and never had this issue. Pretty much any injuries I've had have been from overuse

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I highly doubt you "have to", either you risk injury, but some people possibly find this suits their work out. Everyone's different.

I've barely looked into this type of training as I've been dubious, but in the future I might give it a go. I wouldn't necessarily recommend any uniquely specific work out rules to a beginner regardless.

SmoothSailing

My Regimen
Reaction score
Rather than it being a 'balance' I think it's more just so that you don't miss certain muscles.

Find a routine, stick to it, wait until you see improvements and work from there. A lot of the rest of advice you get is helpful but not required in order to see improvements, especially as a beginner. So once you start seeing improvements you can make continual improvements to your routine as you learn new things.

If you're going nowhere check you form (breathing is very important), diet and sleep.

shookwun

Reaction score
I wouldn't confuse yourself over these complicated routines.

As a beginner I would personally do chest & back on one day.

Shoulder, arms on another

Legs, calves.

Rest between the days, and then repeat

Once you become more experienced start isolating certain parts on an individual day.

As a begineer it's a learning curve, and you will respond to anything. (first year you will grow like a weed)

Do this for 3-6 months, then re-evaluate

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
alright cheers guys

yeah as a beginner im just gonna start slow with basic compound exericses for a while and go from there

thing is i know exactly what i want to look like. a professional footballer. they all have that slim athletic physique.im not interested in huge mass.

im sure every player has slightly different workouts but in general they look the same. but i cant find any f*****g detailed workout plans they go by. i can only find bits and pieces. from what i have found is that do mainly compound exercises with relatively light weights so they don't bulk up too much. and also they do it in circuits.

so instead of doing 3 sets of bench press then moving on, they'll do one set of each exercise then repeat the circuit a couple more times

at least that's what it seems. i just wish some f*****g journalist or the club would post a detailed workout plan these guys go by. instead of these useless half assed ones.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why do you want a little Bieber body when you can look like a real man.

Insane-bodybuilders-1A.jpg

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
and lol to justin bieber comment.
ibrahimovic.jpg

you think this guy has a little justin bieber body do you? he broke the strength and power tests when he signed for man u in the summer

ive no interest in being huge, doesnt appeal to me in the least

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Was just messing around breh.

Though personally I'd aim to be a bit bulkier than that but I can understand where you're coming from.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
a few months of taking it easy and this is what youll turn into
tgt.jpg

no thanks mate

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
and lol to justin bieber comment.
View attachment 46499

you think this guy has a little justin bieber body do you? he broke the strength and power tests when he signed for man u in the summer

ive no interest in being huge, doesnt appeal to me in the least

I know it's not what you want to hear, but that's the Bieber body bro
Justin-Bieber-Shirtless-During-Fashion-Rocks-Photos.jpg

Doesn't look bad, but let's call it what it is

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know it's not what you want to hear, but that's the Bieber body bro
Justin-Bieber-Shirtless-During-Fashion-Rocks-Photos.jpg

Doesn't look bad, but let's call it what it is

lol

i think the guy i posted was abit bigger than him. I want more mass that bieber. but not that much more. itll be easier to maintain, ill still have my athleticism, i wont get fat if i go easy for a while, and i just prefer the look of it

i no a lot of you guys into bodybuilding think this guy is joke, but i dont think its too bad. bieiber in particualr is abit too small though.

i respect the work guys like you have done to build yourself for sure, but getting too big just does not interest me.

paul walker had a good body in his youth. lean and fit

dsf.jpg

fdgf.jpg