PRP (platelet reduced plasma) after surgery

Serpico

Reaction score
My surgeon in Europe suggested to do PRP on a schedule of 1 month post op, then every three months after that up to a year.

I asked a surgeon local to me about their PRP regimen, as I can't fly back and forth 4 times to Europe over the next 12 months, and his assistant told me they only give PRP once after surgery and that a minimum of 3 months needs to pass before it is administered and they only administer it once because their PRP technique is "too powerful" to do more than that.

Another surgeon said he does it on a schedule similar to that of Couto, though he's so agreeable I think he would have just done whatever schedule I suggested.

So I'm getting a lot of conflicting information and it seems the medical literature is agnostic about PRP after surgery because the studies just haven't been done yet.

Have any of you had experience with PRP after your surgery? If so, how often and how did things turn out?

And this might be a bit beyond the level of research that people do here, but if you can remember if it was leukocyte enriched vs depleted, if you used anything else like acell or stem cells, and at what RPMs the blood was spun, that would be helpful. I know everyone's protocol is different (ie. different systems, different RPMs, activation factors, some docs use a headband to keep fluid in the scalp afterwards, some don't, etc.) so the more info the better.

I'm at one month post op and in the heart of the shed so just trying to do everything I can to make this all work out. Thank you for any responses in advance.