PRP at home?

jd_uk

Reaction score
I did a google search looking for people that have done this. NOT injecting it, but applying it to the scalp after dermarolling. The benefits of microneedling have already been established, and PRP is well established in the medical field but for hair growth it is still new. But so far it is showing promising results and many of the local hair loss doctors do it here.

I'm not here to give medical advice but simply to answer you question. I used to work in a lab and obtaining plasma is easy. The hard part is getting your own blood. Luckily for me my wife is a nurse so she can draw it into a 15-20 ml tube for me. Next, buy a centrifuge from amazon, it's $80 which is cheap. I ordered mine the other day. Next you put your tube of blood in the centrifuge and you put a tube of water (or blood) just across from this in the same amount to "balance" out when it spins. Next you press the on button and the tube spins like crazy and 15 minutes later the blood will separate from the plasma. The plasma is the yellow layer on top. You suction this out with a pipette and voila, you have plasma.

Now from here I am a bit unsure exactly what to do but I do have a plan to try. First, I don't know how long this plasma can last in room temperature or a fridge, but it can last a year if frozen. So maybe thaw it out the night before you use? Second, I plan on microneedling my balding parts of my scalp weekly, then applying the PRP after I do this. Again, I’m not sure how often and for how long it should be done but I’ve read microneedling weekly is typical for the scalp and once every 4-6 weeks for the face.

Thoughts?

I would tell everyone that is was shwoing promising results if I could charge thousands for it too.

dantan33

Reaction score
There is a few difference in spinning once compared to twice.
Spin it once, you have the whole plasma with the platelets in it and fibrinogen. Platelet concentration is lower.
Spin it twice and just extract the platelets and use the bottom part of the supernatant you get a higher platelet concentration and some fibrinogen. At times i just throw away all the supernatant and just use sterile saline to suspend the platelets.

If you are dermarolling, you need more volume than if you are injecting to cover the entire area. However if you are dermarolling, you need to add calcium to activate the platelets whereas if you inject it, the collagen in the tissue will activate the platelets.

Personally if I am injecting, 2mls is plenty for my scalp so spin it twice makes the most sense because I don't need volume and I get a concentrated product.
If I am dermarolling i will still spin it twice because there is just too much redundant volume with the entire chunk of plasma.

In essence, if you spin it once this is what you get (PRFM), platelet rich fibrin matrix. The fibrinogen will get converted to fibrin which will form a matrix and trap the platelets in it and this matrix of platelets release growth factors at a lower concentration for 1 week (the authors argued that this is physiological compared to the conventional highly concentrated PRP which does the release all at 1 time)
This only applies if you inject it only.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24810134
However the study did intradermal injections instead of dermarolling. I looked at all the PRP studies, I think this is the only (1 spin) study, the rest of the PRP studies are basically 2 spin types.
Ah I'm getting even more confused.

I apply the one spin PRP weekly, and need the volume of all of the single spin to cover my hair. You mention I need to apply calcium to activate the plasma, but I read the dermarolling alone was enough to stimulate the collagen?
If I was injecting it I would definitely spin it twice to get a higher concentration. So exactly what do you do (specific)? You spin for 10 min at 2000 in a blue top w anticoagulant, collect the yellow on top, then put that in another test tube with nothing else in it and spin it for how long and what speed? Then you suction out and discharge the TOP part and keep the bottom to inject/roll?

I just need the PRP for my front scalp which I could easily inject, and if it meant doing this just once monthly instead of dermarolling weekly I'd rather do the injections.

wilson2

Established Member
Reaction score
lol this thread is hilarious. But I can see the value. PRP is so ridiculously expensive. I just think guys should be careful doing this stuff. I should call my ex who's a nurse and ask her to help me out haha.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Wilson has a nice rapport with his ex. That's so sweet.
lol this thread is hilarious. But I can see the value. PRP is so ridiculously expensive. I just think guys should be careful doing this stuff. I should call my ex who's a nurse and ask her to help me out haha.

prp

My Regimen
Reaction score
dantan33 thank you so much

Hey dantan33 please accept my regards, people like you are so awesome who take out time to share their experience. Of all the hair loss treatments (apart from essential oil massage), I will be willing to try PRP. I hate propecia, minoxidil and other stuff along those lines.

That said, I am still skeptical of PRP working because I don't trust doctors when they say we are seeing good results from it. They are just making money. So, still I have to hear from someone to tell me that they used PRP and it worked without any other drug. No minoxidil, not propecia or anything, just PRP. If I am sure that PRP works I will go any lengths to start the therapy at home.

Danta33 could you please tell me for how long have you being doing this and what results did you get?

For the people who say that drawing blood is the hardest part, I don't think that is true. I think it is very easy do that with single hand using butterfly. Just imagine the drug addicts who do it nonchalantly. In fact I think that is the coolest part, imagine doing that **** in front of a chick, drawing your own blood and massaging on you scalp with dermroller, KOOOL, just kidding....

dantan33

Reaction score
Hey dantan33 please accept my regards, people like you are so awesome who take out time to share their experience. Of all the hair loss treatments (apart from essential oil massage), I will be willing to try PRP. I hate propecia, minoxidil and other stuff along those lines.

That said, I am still skeptical of PRP working because I don't trust doctors when they say we are seeing good results from it. They are just making money. So, still I have to hear from someone to tell me that they used PRP and it worked without any other drug. No minoxidil, not propecia or anything, just PRP. If I am sure that PRP works I will go any lengths to start the therapy at home.

Danta33 could you please tell me for how long have you being doing this and what results did you get?

For the people who say that drawing blood is the hardest part, I don't think that is true. I think it is very easy do that with single hand using butterfly. Just imagine the drug addicts who do it nonchalantly. In fact I think that is the coolest part, imagine doing that **** in front of a chick, drawing your own blood and massaging on you scalp with dermroller, KOOOL, just kidding....

Hey prp, I've only been doing it once every 2 weeks with the dermaroller for 6 weeks so I can't make a call this early. I'm considering stopping because I feel like I'm being a guinea pig with something I'm so unsure about. I am also considering injecting it instead of dermarolling it but I don't know. If I would inject I wouldn't mind because I would do it once every couple months instead of every 2 weeks with dermarolling. It's a lot of effort. I would like to state I work in the health field as well as my gf so drawing blood, injecting, etc is common sense to us. To someone who isn't involved in the health field I would NOT recommend doing this unless you are well educated on the subject.

prp

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you so much

Hey dantan33,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I wish you best of luck with your hair regrowth. If you continue your treatment with dermaroller or injection please do let us know about your results after a few months.

Regards,

NAM

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been doing it myself. But i am reluctant to write a guide about it, for certain reasons.
I am going to write about principles and salient points

1. Blood taking - this is probably the most rate limiting step for most people, it's actually possible to take blood from yourself with a butterfly needle
2. You need an anticoagulant
3. You need to centrifuge twice and you need to know a) how many Gs to spin it at b)how long

First spin - separates the plasma with the platelets from the red and white cells
Spin too little, not enough separation, spin too hard the platelets will sediment making it hard to extract

Extract the plasma

Second spin - Sediments the platelets, spin too hard the platelets will get activated or the fibrinogen will get activated and it will trap some of the platelets and you lose yield
Spin too little, you don't get most of the platelets to sediment

After that is just throwing away the platelet poor plasma and suspending the platelets in whatever you decide to use

Can you share with us what centrifuge you are using?
Also, what size tubes and what kind of anticoagulant, please?? Where do I buy the anticoagulant?

jhon_121

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been doing it myself. But i am reluctant to write a guide about it, for certain reasons.
I am going to write about principles and salient points

1. Blood taking - this is probably the most rate limiting step for most people, it's actually possible to take blood from yourself with a butterfly needle
2. You need an anticoagulant
3. You need to centrifuge twice and you need to know a) how many Gs to spin it at b)how long

First spin - separates the plasma with the platelets from the red and white cells
Spin too little, not enough separation, spin too hard the platelets will sediment making it hard to extract

Extract the plasma

Second spin - Sediments the platelets, spin too hard the platelets will get activated or the fibrinogen will get activated and it will trap some of the platelets and you lose yield
Spin too little, you don't get most of the platelets to sediment

After that is just throwing away the platelet poor plasma and suspending the platelets in whatever you decide to use

why do i need centrifuge twice? is it easy to take out blood yourself? also are there small needle injections for scalp like dermaroller?

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am totally f*****g doing this. Awesome guys.

Holy sh*t this is f*****g hardcore. Not so sure actually.... Lol

Can you imagine how crazy you would look doing all this at home? Also what if something goes wrong? Everyone will assume you were just a junkie injecting opioids. Or could you imagine triggering a serious infection or blood clot or other problem from shitty amateur technique?

Goddamn this is like the hardest core sh*t ever. That takes dedication or stupidity or both. I'm not yet sure where i fit in that myself...

hatty stephens

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK you can collect your own blood..but how to separate plasma? :)
you can purchase an adequate centrifuge on amazon for $50 or so. I work in a lab developing methods for small volume blood testing. i am in no way giving medical advice as im only a MT, but if your purchase a centrifuge, you can spin RBC down at 2500-3200 RPM for 7-10 minutes. normally 7 minutes at 2500 RPM is sufficing, but if total separation is not met, putting it back for the additional 3 minutes will not hurt. refrigerated blood will not reach COMPLETE separations as a result of hemolysis...just FYI