proscar loses effectiveness after exposed to air??

ShedMaster

Reaction score
any truth to this article?

http://www.anagen.net/p10in.htm

'...The piece of Proscar, after the division, has exposed to the air: this exposure could damage the inside composition of the pill. You in fact remember that the last piece of Proscar would be assumed four days after the division of the tablet. '

I think I know the answer, but I want to hear your opinions.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
In one of the early stumptailed macaque studies, the finasteride was given to them as a POWDER on a piece of fruit, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I wouldn't cut up a whole bunch of the tablets at one time, but doing only one or two at a time certainly isn't going to hurt.

Bryan

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Merck addressed this. After the usual corporate PR mumbo jumbo why this is wrong in principle, the only practical reason given is this:

We do not recommend splitting a Proscar tablet to get the same dose as a Propecia tablet because it's nearly impossible to cut a tablet into five evenly-sized pieces without having it crumble. If the pieces aren't the same size, you won't know what dose you're taking.
As you can see, there's no mention of any short-term chemical changes caused by exposure to air. By now we all know "nearly impossible" becomes "rather easy" with a little practice. Indeed, the pieces aren't the exact same size, but Merck's own studies, submitted to the FDA, show that slight (and not-so-slight) dose variations do not affect the finasteride's impact to any sizeable degree.

avri