proscar and propecia....

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys i recently ran out of propecia and didn't have time to fill my rx for a few weeks.... however i still had a bunch of proscar tabs i had purchased on the internet... so i've been cutting them up and taking them (never missing a day) for about 2 weeks, anyways i've noticed more labido and a few hairs falling out... as much as 40 in the shower! my question is.... is there a difference between propecial and proscar that would compromise the effect of the drug? or could the propecia i got off the net be fake? although it's in merck packaging the pills are all marked correctly. what do you guys think? maybe i'm paranoid...... keep in mind i was losing like no hair before.....

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
seriously there is really no answer to this question. people have been debating and both side is providing valid reasons. therefore unless someone is willing to get the pill tested or do a blood test we can only guess. just pay more for propecia if you want a peace of mind.

however, there are a lot of people having result from cutting up proscar so we can guess somehow, it still work. of course, there are some folks like you that claim switching to proscar seem to have worst result. well, the cycle goes on.

for your case, i do not think it due to the proscar. even if you don't take finasteride for 2weeks, most likely you will not experience an increase in shedding. most people only experience shedding after more than one month or so. maybe your shedding is due to normal shed cycle. give proscar somemore time and see how it goes. good luck.

Britannia

Reaction score
Did you cut the pieces in to equal 5ths? If so, and assuming the Proscar and Propecia were both genuine, there should be no difference in sides or effectiveness against hair loss.