Proscar 5ths. Is it medically proven?

Baldude

Reaction score
I got my dermatologist to prescribe Proscar. She said she can do it but relieves herself from any responsibility (if that makes any sense). the reason was that one doesn't know if the 5 mg finasteride is actually spread equally throughout the pill, or if it's concentrated in one small place.
Has there been any statement from merck that splitting it to 5ths is equal to taking propecia once a day? I'm asking cause during the last year I switched to proscar and have DRAMATICALLY less hair. It may be just the alopecia shifting gears, but i can't help but wonder. I have been taking finasteride for about 3.5 years now
Thanks

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Baldude said:
I got my dermatologist to prescribe Proscar. She said she can do it but relieves herself from any responsibility (if that makes any sense). the reason was that one doesn't know if the 5 mg finasteride is actually spread equally throughout the pill, or if it's concentrated in one small place.
Has there been any statement from merck that splitting it to 5ths is equal to taking propecia once a day? I'm asking cause during the last year I switched to proscar and have DRAMATICALLY less hair. It may be just the alopecia shifting gears, but i can't help but wonder. I have been taking finasteride for about 3.5 years now
Thanks

Of course Merck hasn't said that the Finasteride is spread evenly throughout a Proscar pill. Why would they? They make a ton of money from Propecia sales.

It is of no large consequence that the finasteride is not completely evenly distributed throughout a Proscar pill since, if you are taking a quarter per day, the half life of the drug will carry the "heavier" concentrated days through the "lighter" concentrated pill days, if you get what I mean. If one day has a slightly less dose than the next the difference is inconsequential.

I took Proscar for a long time and had no problems. My hair maintained very well and I had some regrowth in the crown.

Was the finasteride you were taking before you started taking Proscar Merck-brand Propecia or an unauthorized generic (all generics are unauthorized)? If so, the reason you are shedding now is very well possibly because you are only just now getting the full benefit of the medication whereas before you may have been getting a watered-down version, if you were getting any actual finasteride at all.

Baldude

Reaction score
Yeah, I was getting Propecia the whole time, and had kept what I had maybe with some regrowth before I started ordering 'car from QHI. It looks quite authentic and everything, but now I decided to try to get it with a prescription from a pharmacy, just in case (it's cheaper too). the serious hair loss started during the QHI Proscar time.
Are you sure about the "strong days compensating for the weak days" thing? they always write that if you missed a dose, don't try to make up for it with a double dose. However if you're saying that you did have regrowth with Proscar, I guess I should just accept my fate and be glad that it wasn't worse had I not taken finasteride that whole time. Anyway, I'm starting minoxidil now, let's see if that would get me some back :)

what? no, i meant some hair back!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Baldude said:
Are you sure about the "strong days compensating for the weak days" thing?

Look, some guys DELIBERATELY take a finasteride dose only every other day, or every third day, and still do ok! :wink:

Baldude said:
they always write that if you missed a dose, don't try to make up for it with a double dose.

That's just a very generic warning that has nothing to do with finasteride specifically. Disregard it. It's irrelevant.

Bryan