Propica qestion for long time users

G

I have been on Propica now for 7 months and the density of my hair keeps getting worse. It has steadily declined since I started Propica and I am wondering if I should stop using or if this is what should be happing. As of now I have only seen negative effect to my hairs density since I started using Propica I also am still shedding more then average and have been since about month 3.

Any advice or just description of your personal experiences would be appreciated.

I will be updating my site later this week with new pics

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm having this same problem, though I've only been on finasteride about 4 months. I've also received the wonderful surprise of a thinning crown this week. Isn't life grand? :p

DarklyCharming

Established Member
Reaction score
The rule seems to be from this message board to stick it out for the full year. While there is always the chance that you might be one of the few that Propecia doesn't work for, everyone suggests, including Merck, that you wait the full year to see results.

What if the 9th month is when it works for you and suddenly, your hair rebounds and comes back entirely thicker? It'd be a shame if you never went the entire year and had doubts that it might have worked at some point. At least if you go the full year, you'll know for sure that Propecia isn't a good option for you and be able to move onto another one. Best of luck!

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You will have to stay on propecia for atleast one year because it may take one year until you see results from it. Are you sure it's not work, most people maintain the hair what they have and there your is thicker. Does your hair look or feel thicker?

milleraj

Reaction score
I did as well

During the first 6-8 months on Proscar, I shed big time. I knew it was gonna happen because I read about it in my reseaching, but when it stopped, it was like a light switch being turned on: it just stopped one day. I would not get discouraged...I say keep going, since I had very good success with it. Good luck to you!

G

ACT10Npack said:
You will have to stay on propecia for atleast one year because it may take one year until you see results from it. Are you sure it's not work, most people maintain the hair what they have and there your is thicker. Does your hair look or feel thicker?

Thickness is not the problem, I have very thick hair by nature it is the density that is dropping weekly. When I started Proscar I had tons of hair very think and dens since starting Propica and all the shedding the over all density has dropped over the last 7 months which is why I am wondering if it was a mistake to take Propica.
And if I should stop.

G

jkriley said:
Thickness is not the problem, I have very thick hair by nature

jkriley said:
When I started Proscar I had tons of hair very think and dens

jkriley said:
...I am wondering if it was a mistake to take Propica.

No, it was not a mistake, you sound like the ideal candidate.

If I had tons of thick and dense hair, I would get on Proscar pretty quick.

extremekicks

Established Member
Reaction score
Im goin on 14 months and I saw results right off the bat then a huge shed 3 months later , and so its has happen a few times. Give it time. I have temple recession and a lil thinning on the vertex but alot has come back in and still making progress.

so far so good

Pce

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
jkriley-

im in the same boat as you. ive been on propecia for 8 months and i've been going down hill ever since. my hair used to be very thick and very dense. since going on propecia, the density is very minimal. more recently, my hair seems to be looking very "pluggy"....almost as if i got a hair transplant back in the early 90's because they had micro grafting. im really starting to get worried because i think my scalp will be entirely visible within a few weeks. propecia hasn't helped me whatsoever. its been 8 months of continual shedding. im thinking about trying dutasteride.

G

I've been on Propecia over 9 months and I can't see that it's helped me at all. I'm afraid that for people who don't respond to Propecia, it simply hurts them. I'm really afraid Propecia just made me lose a lot of hair faster than natural hairloss would. Thanks, Merck, you f***-nut bastards. May the Vioxx scandal sink you to the depths of litigation hell.

G

Thats is what my qestion was, is it possible the propica could cause more harm then good. If you where taking it and did not need it could it cause you to losse your hair?

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
jkriely....

i asked that same question here on this forum and was told it is impossible. i, on the other hand, do not believe it is impossible. every drug can have an adverse side effect. but hey, who knows.

G

It's more than possible, it's what has happened with me--unless of course it's now helping, in which case I shouldn't complain. But if it doesn't start helping, then all it's done is hurt: if you don't recover/maintain from a shed, then you have simply shed. Multiply this by a long time span, and sustained shedding, and that's a fast-track to losing your hair quicker than mother nature would have made you.

That being said, it's the best thing on the market, and there's no way to really avoid it if you're looking to fight hairloss, unless you want to go straigh for a topical. I'm just saying this because everyone always rants and raves about the greatness of Propecia when a newbie wants to know whether they should use it, you never get the perspectives of people whom it has not only not helped, but hurt. Caveat emptor.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
jkriley said:
Thickness is not the problem, I have very thick hair by nature

jkriley said:
When I started Proscar I had tons of hair very think and dens

jkriley said:
...I am wondering if it was a mistake to take Propica.

No, it was not a mistake, you sound like the ideal candidate.

If I had tons of thick and dense hair, I would get on Proscar pretty quick.

LOL!

I read on Dr. Lee's site that the shed hair caused by the drug will grow back if it is stopped.

marksb11

Established Member
Reaction score
the keyword there was IF (it was stopped). If it wasn't stopped, then Propecia would be causing a shed- because thats what its supposed to do- and there would be no way to recover all the thousands of hairs you lost!

I am heavily considering dutasteride at this point.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, someone has to add a positive spin to this thread.

I really do believe that Propecia can not cause any more harm but only be benefitial. Once you start taking the drug, all those hairs that have been attacked by DHT will be ejected. This is when most of us experience a huge shed, which eventually becomes syncronized. Now, hairs that have suffered for a while will take a much longer time to become thicker and healthier as hair needs to shed and cycled a few times until it is back to a more cosmeticallllly pleasing shape. The problem is that we shed so much of the "crappy" hairs that at one point things may look a little 'thin' or 'worse' But all you can do is be patient and wait until your hairs grow back. This is why Propecia is to be taken for a year, if not longer, before a positive effect can trully be seen. Any who, just be patient and think positive, I shed so much that at this point I seriously should be slick bald, but still have plenty of hair.

Take care!
Tony

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
marksb11 said:
the keyword there was IF (it was stopped). If it wasn't stopped, then Propecia would be causing a shed- because thats what its supposed to do- and there would be no way to recover all the thousands of hairs you lost!

I am heavily considering dutasteride at this point.

Read what Tony just posted.

As for dutasteride, you may want to read this from Dr. Lee's site (emphasis added):

Following is Dr. Lee's latest statement on Avodart (aka., dutasteride). 

“I talked to Glaxo-Wellcome (888-825-5249) on the 10th of October, 2002. Dutasteride 0.5 mg soft gel capsules were approved by the U.S. FDA on 9 October 2002 for the treatment of benign prostatic enlargement and they are expected to be available in U.S. pharmacies by ‘early to mid-December 2002.’

I definitely do not plan to dispense the gel capsules via our web site (http://www.minoxidil.com). Doing so would be a flagrant violation of the Business and Professional Codes, and recent rulings by the California Medical Board forbids physicians licensed in California from doing so, as it is considered to be a ‘dangerous drug.’

As for writing off-label prescriptions for dutasteride, I will not do so because it would constitute an egregious practice of medicine. To date there is no evidence that dutasteride can be safely and effectively utilized for treating male pattern baldness. 

Whereas I did prescribe and dispense finasteride to my patients to help treat male pattern baldness before Propecia was approved by the U.S. FDA on 14 November 1997, the circumstances were quite different. Finasteride had already been in widespread general use since 1992, so there was already a large body of knowledge in regards to its effects as well as its side effects. Even so, there were many ‘side effects’ subsequently added to the package insert. They included, but were not limited to breast tenderness and enlargement, and hypersensitivity reactions, including lip swelling and skin rash.

There is a wise and time honored saying by Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744) who wrote, ‘Be not the first by whom the new are tried, nor yet the last to lay the old aside.’â€