propecia timeline

worriedmale

Reaction score
i was wondering if i used propecia theoreticaly. and it completley stopped my hairloss. but aftwer 5 years on the treatment. it didnt work anymore. how soon would the hairloss start again. would it be at the same speed.

for instance if i took me five years to go bald. but i halted that with propecia. with i have 10 years before i went bald?

G

Fehgehdabadit. In 5 years there will be newer breakthrough treatments out. If you can hold out for 5 years you will be doing GOOD.

There's newer breakthrough alternatives to finasteride right now. If you stop responding to finasteride, switch over to dutasteride.

IF you've been thinking about it, go ahead and get on the BIg 3 already.

Stu85

Established Member
Reaction score
You know, I don't think it's a simple as Propecia just stopping working. It will probably always inhibit the 80% of dht which it does when you first start taking it. It's just that male pattern baldness is progressive and your follicles may get more sensitive to dht over time, so that remaining 20% will be enough to continue doing damage.

If your hair continues to succumb to male pattern baldness on finasteride you may want to start dutasteride it blocks about 98% of type 2 dht. But it's strong sh*t, and nobody is too sure about long term use of the drug, especially as it also inhibits type 1 dht.

Hopefully in the next few years there will be second generation dht inhibitors or perhaps something which can get desensitise the hair follicles to dht?

Jm0311

Reaction score
thats kinda stupid that people take dutasteride since its such strong sh*t and i read stuff about alzheimers and no one knows the long term effects of finasteride. but to me dutasteride seems ridiculous to take