Propecia Question

dave2004

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and am considering starting propecia.

I have been considering starting taking it for a few weeks now but there are 2 questions which i have and cant seem to find answers to, but i hope some of you might be able to help.

1. In the side effects for the drug, it is mentioned that if the patient was to be on the course (lets say for arguments sake for 3 years), then stop the treatment, it is said that any hair regrowth which the drug has encouraged would be lost and the patients hair pattern would return to the state it was at before starting treatment.

By this does this mean that the hair would be the same as 3 years earlier (i.e. with still a lot of hair, so in effect has halted the balding process by 3 years) or does it mean that it would return to the state it would have been at if treatment had never started in the first place, in which case all the regrowth and hair which had been saved during the treatment would fall out (giving the impression of a great loss in hair in a short time).

2. I have also read that the Propecia pill, is designed to stop the body manufacturing DHT which is said to contribute to hair loss. It has been claimed that by prohibiting the body from creating this chemical by using Propecia, the bodys immune system produces more of the chemical as a response, hence when treatment is stopped, excess levels of the chemical remain, and in return cause the hair loss to occur even faster than normal.

If anyone could advise me with the above i would be very grateful,

Thanks in advance.

Axon

Reaction score
1. Stopping the treatment returns you to baseline from where you began. If you had 5,000 hairs, and got up to 7,000 hairs from Propecia, you would return to 5,000 and then eventually continue losing.

2. Extra DHT? Complete fabrication. Finasteride only prevents DHT by proxy. In truth, it inhibits Type 2 Alpha-Reductase.

dave2004

Reaction score
Thats what i hoped to hear. So really the earlier i start treatment the better.

Thanks for your help Axon, you have put my mind at rest :lol: