Propecia or Rogaine for frontal hair loss/receding hairline?

rtc84

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 25, I have a bit of a receding hairline in the front only. I have heard that Rogaine is only for hair loss on the vertex, and men won't see results if they only have a receding hairline. I bought Rogaine anyway, and only used it for a week because I hated the smell and the texture of my hair after using it.

I just started using Propecia a couple weeks ago because I heard that is the best for frontal hair loss instead of Rogaine/Minoxidil. However, I have read conflicting reports online. I have heard Propecia is best for hair loss on the vertex, and if you have frontal hair loss to use Rogaine/Minoxidil. But the Rogaine website specifically says it's for hair loss on the vertex.

Has anyone with frontal hairloss experience positive results with Propecia? What about Rogaine/Minoxidil? I'd prefer to continue using Propecia since I'd hate to try Rogaine again. Propecia is supposed to stop the production of testosterone, which is responsible for male pattern baldness, so shouldn't it work for a receding hair line?Thanks for any help!!

Also, is there any other suggestions other than Propecia or Rogaine for frontal hair loss?

Manayz39

Reaction score
Propecia/Finasteride will maintain the hair you already have. Rogain/Minoxidil will re-grow hair - how much hair you re-grow is impossible to predict. It varies from person to person.

Rogain/Minoxidil only guarantees that you will re-grow hair on your vertex because that's the only area of the head that they tested and ran clinical trials on. However, a lot of people have re-grown hair on their temples, and it's widely accepted that at least some temple hair will probably re-appear with consistent application of Rogain/minoxidil. Some people have only regrown a few strands while some people have had full temple regrowth.

rtc84

Established Member
Reaction score
Manayz39 said:
Rogain/Minoxidil only guarantees that you will re-grow hair on your vertex because that's the only area of the head that they tested and ran clinical trials on. However, a lot of people have re-grown hair on their temples, and it's widely accepted that at least some temple hair will probably re-appear with consistent application of Rogain/minoxidil. Some people have only regrown a few strands while some people have had full temple regrowth.

Thanks for the response! That's VERY comforting to know about Propecia.

Do you happen to know if time is a factor with Rogaine? I'm only 25 now, but if I decided to take Rogaine at 35 and maintained the hair I have now because of Propecia, could the same positive results be experienced with Rogaine hair re-growth another 10 years down the road? Or is it better to start as early as possible with Rogaine?

Manayz39

Reaction score
^^That's tough to say. It depends on how you feel about your hair right now.

Either way, if you're concerned about your hair right now the first thing to do is get on finasteride.

I would get on finasteride and stop worrying about it. After a year, reevaluate your situation and, if you're not satisfied, add minoxidil to your regiment, and go a year with both finasteride and minoxidil, and then re-evaluate once more. That's what I'm doing.

Trickss

Reaction score
Manayz39 said:
Propecia/Finasteride will maintain the hair you already have. Rogain/Minoxidil will re-grow hair - how much hair you re-grow is impossible to predict. It varies from person to person.

Thats what makes me sad... I Started propecia almost 9 months ago . I maintained my hair from middle area crown area and temple is a lot better at the moment. But the frontal area like 3-4 Cm in front is really messy id ont know why it havnt worked there..