Propecia or Avodart for Diffuse Thinning?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Data has only been collected and published on Propecia, but speculation and the incomplete data implies that Avodart was more successful at stopping hair loss and growing new hair than Propecia.

HairLossTalk.com

dmeister

Reaction score
Has anyone tried both and can share some firsthand results?

I, personally, used Propecia for just over a year, and continued to lose hair. I switched to Avodart, which I have been using for about a year now as well, and seem to have lost just as much (perhaps even a little more aggressively, though I cannot say for sure). I used Nizoral as directed the entire time.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
You cant judge the effectiveness of a hair loss treatment by anonymous online consumer feedback. It can and will many times completely contradict the data because of a million possible variables that the user introduces, including subjective innacurrate opinions based upon their minds eye. You dont know how consistent they were in dosing, what else they may have added or taken away from their regimen to affect the success, whether they stopped working out and started a McDonalds-only diet and ruined things for themselves, etc.

The entire premise of this site is to search out the data and read what the tests have revealed because that is the only place controls are introduced and accuracy can be attained. I would never trust subjective opinion with a hair loss treatment. A perfect example of why is our article on Procerin. (home page of site, top right). They faked the whole thing. Have entire websites set up with fake "user reviews" saying its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Take propecia for example. One person will say it worked great. Another 50 will say it made their hair worse. The data shows the very opposite and the information you've received will be 100% wrong.

HairLossTalk.com

dmeister

Reaction score
While I see your point, it seems to me that getting and receiving feedback on the efficacy of these products is the very reason most people use this forum. I am very familiar with both Merck's and GSK's results on their products, which is why I posed the question here.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
As long as you acknowledge that you run a huge risk getting completely bogus information, im fine with you asking for it.

As a side note, these forums are not primarily for *determining* whether something works. We actually discourage that for the millions of reasons listed above. Determining the efficacy of a product should be done exclusively with the data available surrounding it.

People do share what they're using and what kind of results they've had. True. There's a very very close correlation. But your original question was asking "Which works better?" and ... technically... nobody here can answer that question because you have to do a comparison. An accurate comparison can't be done by one guy in his bathroom.

I know what you're looking for. I understand why you ask too. Im just so tired of seeing people express opinions that contradict the data and a whole mass of consumers follow it, getting lead down the wrong path. That's how conspiracy theories get started ("The FDA lied on the propecia trial results!") and how people get dissuaded from real products and over towards snake oils (Procerin fake user review website: "This stuff worked way better for me than Propecia!").

I've seen so much of it on such a mass scale on these types of forums that I have pretty much resigned myself to constantly just telling people to research the data and ignore the BS online. Sad that it has to be that way, especially considering this site is all about user interaction... but people leave out information, get confused, have a bad hair day... and sometimes outright lie to sell a product.

HairLossTalk.com

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
All that matters is what works for you, right?

If it seems like neither do.. Maybe add some spironolactone.

scottp999

Reaction score
I used proscar 1.25 mg for about 5 years and switched to avodart Dec 2002. I have seen a very slight difference in my hair. Not worth it if you ask me. I continure to use avodart because it is easily available to me. I really saw regrowth when I added 5% minoxidil twice daily. Proscar/avodart stopped loss and thickened a few thin hairs only.

Bismarck

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
You cant judge the effectiveness of a hair loss treatment by anonymous online consumer feedback. It can and will many times completely contradict the data because of a million possible variables that the user introduces, including subjective innacurrate opinions based upon their minds eye.
HairLossTalk.com

HairLossTalk.com is right. People often have too high expectations to their treatment and are often not patient enough to wait for one year or so to make a statement about its efficiacy.
However, the study results of Merck should also handled carefully since there are also millions of ways to tune a study in the direction you want.

BISMARCK