Propecia on the hairline/front area

litcII

Reaction score
We've all heard the reports of people claiming that Propecia ruined their hairline... Just wondering, has anyone managed to stop their hairline from receding, or stopped their hairloss in the front region of the scalp, with the use of propecia?

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
My hairline is actually growing down on finasteride. Now I just have to get it to fill in my crown and all will be grand.

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I maintained some hair line hair with slight improvement but definetelly no complete regrowth. These hair where vellus and went dark after 3 months on finasteride. Nothing too impressive but better than nothing definetelly.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
My frontal loss stopped after I started , it took a year and I did shed for a month or so but I also use minoxidil and Nizoral. I am 38 with a NW2 (left temple a little worse) and have been on treatments for 5 years.

Good luck man!

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
litcII said:
We've all heard the reports of people claiming that Propecia ruined their hairline... Just wondering, has anyone managed to stop their hairline from receding, or stopped their hairloss in the front region of the scalp, with the use of propecia?

I've been on Propecia for 12 years. It has maintained my hair, my crown is perfect but it didn't do much for my hairline. It didn't hurt my hairline but it didn't improve it either.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
it maintained and improved my hair for 1.5 years then i switched to dutasteride to se if i could improve more .

azmodien

Reaction score
I am shedding heavily, but I do seem to be growing some new hairs at the base of my hairline. They are probably ones I lost a while ago from recession.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
my hair line kept receding on finasteride, i started minoxidil just on the hairline and haven't lost any ground since.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Finasteride in the treatment of men with frontal male pattern hair loss." J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999 Jun;40(6 Pt 1): 930-7.

BACKGROUND: Finasteride, a specific inhibitor of type II 5alpha-reductase, decreases serum and scalp dihydrotestosterone and has been shown to be effective in men with vertex male pattern hair loss. OBJECTIVE: This study evaluated the efficacy of finasteride 1 mg/day in men with frontal (anterior/mid) scalp hair thinning. METHODS: This was a 1-year, double-blind, placebo-controlled study followed by a 1-year open extension. Efficacy was assessed by hair counts (1 cm2 circular area), patient and investigator assessments, and global photographic review. RESULTS: There was a significant increase in hair count in the frontal scalp of finasteride-treated patients (P < .001), as well as significant improvements in patient, investigator, and global photographic assessments. Efficacy was maintained or improved throughout the second year of the study. Finasteride was generally well tolerated. CONCLUSION: In men with hair loss in the anterior/mid area of the scalp, finasteride 1 mg/day slowed hair loss and increased hair growth.

litcII

Reaction score
metropolis- when you say it didn't help your hairline, do you mean that you didn't grow new hair there, or lost hair at the same rate? or just maintained what you had? Just wondering

Thanks for the study Bryan

henryk9

Reaction score
I am taking Propecia for 8 months and I am using Nizoral for 2 months now. I see some improvements:
The conditions (hair wet and dry, lightning, skin color, camera angle) of the photos are not the same, but I think you can see the improvement there:

after 5 months in treatment:

after 8 months in treatment:

Fundi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm on just 0.35mg finasteride, 5% spironolactone since Febuary and nizoral every other day +cod liver oil and multivitamins. But I varied doses, at some points taking as little as 0.15mg, and at some point 0.5mg.

I've been on it since December with a month off in March.

I haven't lost hairs at the hairline, but I think I have thinned a bit at the temples. :( - Though barely noticeable, so I haven't quite maintained.

Do you think I could still maintain what I have at this stage as I give finasteride longer time to work, or do I need to add something else?

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
litcII said:
metropolis- when you say it didn't help your hairline, do you mean that you didn't grow new hair there, or lost hair at the same rate? or just maintained what you had? Just wondering

Thanks for the study Bryan

Yep, that's it: I didn't grow new hair, it merely preserved what I had. In the past few months, it seems to have receded a bit more, though.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been on the big 3 over a year and have had 1-2 sheds but nothing too major but id have to be honest no improvement on the front perhaps its maintained it but id say it would have stayed the same regardless for a while.

Id say going by my body that finasteride helped keep the hair and the foam tried to produce new hairs at the front but if anything it just made 1000s of tiny little hairs at the front that didnt really sprout out into proper hairs....which is the biggest tease and shame since its there yet not there enough to be classed a hair.

nizoral shampoo has sorta just kept my hair ultra clean and tad thicker/more managable but I only use it once a week now since doesnt feel like I need it anymore.

Gonna have too look at few more options but im seriously considering just either shaving nut and living with it although due to my head shape its very unsuitable, with longer hair some women have said I look more handsome and that dont help lol, hair transplants or other treatments are other soloutions I guess.