Propecia hasnt worked,what now?

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been on propecia for 17months now.To cut a long story short i started on the 1mg dose,i noticed i was developing gyno about 7 months in (im a logical rational human being,i know when im getting gyno and when im being paranoid btw) so i cut to 0.5mg,it didnt pass so i cut further to 0.25 mg.
Ive been on 5% minoxidil for about 2 years now as well.

I just dont know where to turn at the minute,im only 19 and im norwood 2/3.Also i just shaved my head,initally iwas elated id had the balls to do it but i can assure that novelty passes.I look terrible,also unknown to me previously in have diffuse thinning all over the top of my scalp.

What is it i should do now?iv tried the only FDA approved treatments and it didnt work,i tried to accept the inevitable and shave my head,that didnt work either.Im 19 and my life effectively finished the day i first noticed i was balding,when i was 16.

f*** sake im tired of this stuggle,but what now?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Venture out into the less proven treatments, like Revivogen and spironolactone.

Don't give up hope yet. I'm 20, right there with ya.

VWdude

Reaction score
Hmm... alot of people who seem to have side effects are those who propecia doesn't work for. And the ones who report no side effects seem to be having success...or is it just me?

nervx

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 23 and about 11 months on 1/4 proscar now and i don't really see any change. :( (i lost my start pictures though so who knows)
I have enough for about another 3-4 months and if it doesn't improve im jumping ship and going to avodart since it seems to work a lot better. Im going to see if i can get my Doctor to write the perscription for prostate crap so i can get it claimed on blue cross.

If the avodart doesn't work then i'll try the shaved head thing and if that looks bad i'll look into russian roulette.

Anyway for your shaved head you can try to improve the look by getting a tan, losing weight if your plump and using contacts if you have glasses. Also try some facial hair. Shaved head is a big change and it takes a while to get used to, give it a while and you might like it.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm 20 , been using 1mg finasteride for over a year, no sides, no benefits. So im right with you guys too ha. Maybe its time for minoxidil?

eBOW

Reaction score
Last blade said:
Ive been on propecia for 17months now.To cut a long story short i started on the 1mg dose,i noticed i was developing gyno about 7 months in (im a logical rational human being,i know when im getting gyno and when im being paranoid btw) so i cut to 0.5mg,it didnt pass so i cut further to 0.25 mg.
Ive been on 5% minoxidil for about 2 years now as well.

I just dont know where to turn at the minute,im only 19 and im norwood 2/3.Also i just shaved my head,initally iwas elated id had the balls to do it but i can assure that novelty passes.I look terrible,also unknown to me previously in have diffuse thinning all over the top of my scalp.

What is it i should do now?iv tried the only FDA approved treatments and it didnt work,i tried to accept the inevitable and shave my head,that didnt work either.Im 19 and my life effectively finished the day i first noticed i was balding,when i was 16.

f*** sake im tired of this stuggle,but what now?

If you feel that your life ended when you started losing hair; I would seriously think about getting help, I would not let hair loss take control of your life.

ang_99

Established Member
Reaction score
For all you guys that are saying propecia isnt working.. I just want to be clear, do you mean you are not getting any new growth or is your hair still falling out (getting balder). Cuz for me, I didn't get much growth at all but I it looks like I am keeping what I have which I consider a success.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
ang_99 said:
For all you guys that are saying propecia isnt working.. I just want to be clear, do you mean you are not getting any new growth or is your hair still falling out (getting balder). Cuz for me, I didn't get much growth at all but I it looks like I am keeping what I have which I consider a success.

VERY VERY good point, and one which I've emphasized for years! If you're using a treatment and everything stays exactly the same afterwards for a long time, then that's a SUCCESS, not a failure! :D

Bryan

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yea i would definitly agree with Bryan and Ang...but for me it has just gotten worse over the period of 1 year. I guess it might have slowed things down but im not even sure of that much.

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
When i started propecia i was a norwood 1.5,with no thinning.After 17mnths albeit on a lower dosage im 10x worse.

And btw id already tired sprio and revivogen b4 i got on propeica,i dont think i have any options left.Its either a wig or being bald as far as i can see

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
when i first started propecia, my hair was still good, but the hairline was starting to recede rather quickly. i never had any noticeable side effects, and my hair continued to recede at about what i thought was the same rate it was doing before i began treatment. in fact over the next 6 years i pretty much thought propecia wasnt really working and i always had low periods thinking, well this is it, time to just give up and accept im going bald.

looking back now, i genuinely feel that this drug has done wonders for me, even though the whole time i didnt realise it. the whole time i was on the verge of giving up because my situation was hopeless. If i think back to my stress and depression 4 years ago, and now see what i have maintained since then, i must say im delightled, i would have given anything back then if someone had said in 4 years time i would look like i do now.

i guess the logical side of my brain said just take the damn propecia, whether its working or not. its hard to see propecia working for you when you are concerned with your hairloss. its looking back you can see the benefits.

if the sides are managelable (i had none) then just take it, you cant lose, and you never know it might be quietly helping you.

and i can be 100% sure about one thing. propecia wont give you any benefits if you are not taking it

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
Last blade said:
... i started on the 1mg dose,i noticed i was developing gyno about 7 months in (im a logical rational human being,i know when im getting gyno ...

also, please excuse my ignorance but what is gyno? i searched google and discovered it means a female reproductive organ. you are not developing one of these are you?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jc444 said:
Last blade said:
... i started on the 1mg dose,i noticed i was developing gyno about 7 months in (im a logical rational human being,i know when im getting gyno ...

also, please excuse my ignorance but what is gyno? i searched google and discovered it means a female reproductive organ. you are not developing one of these are you?

Do a search for gynecomastia bud. Gyno is just slang really.

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks socks. last blade, i wasn't meaning to diss you or anyting, i seriously didnt know what it meant and google does bring interesting results for gyno. no offence intended.

the reason i wanted to know is i thought maybe you could discuss with your doctor ways to control the side effect while maintaining propecia.

If the gyno is not a problem at the lower dosage, then i would continue to use that. There have been reports that finasteride works at dosages as low as 0.2mg daily. It may not seem its working for you, but its definitely not making your hairloss worse. It may actually be helping just a tiny bit, and thats better than no help right? But if the gyno is apparent at any dosage then i hope the guys on here can give you some good directions to treatment without finasteride. There have defintely been success without finasteride, so don't give up hope.

all the best pal.

Z

Established Member
Reaction score
words beginning with gyn-, gyno-, gyne- etc all derive from Greek word gun meaning woman; and gwen- in Indo-European roots.]