Propecia - good or bad for acne?!!

eentity

Reaction score
Hey guys..........one thing i noticed is that my breakouts of small red bumpiness on my face was getting worse pryor to starting on Propecia. Now it's even worse. I've been on Propecia 2.5 weeks now.

I heard propecia makes oilyness worse on the skin and scalp. Does this typically go away? Doesn't DHT help cause acne. So shouldn't Propecia help?.

I have two stresses now......shedding from Propecia, and now worse breaking out. sucks....

let me know
thanks!

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
yes the first couple of weeks, your scalp and facial area might geta bit oilier, however in my case that went away, but I still seem to be breaking out a bit more as well, but definately not as oily.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
why not get on minocin anti-biotics, should be pretty much totally clear in 1-3 months for sure.

eentity

Reaction score
hey guys.........within one hour i was able to make an apointment with my derm and get some doxycycline antibiotics and retin-a stuff. Amazing i could get an apointment that fast. He said he doesn't know of Propecia having any affect on acne directly, but that he's had cases that it's caused excessive oil for sure.

so let's see how this stuff works with my Propecia regemin.

btw....shedding speeding up.........hopefully i'll make it thru...... ordered couvre the other day......just in case. later!

E

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
I had the worst breakout I had ever had in my life about 6 weeks into Propecia.

It is very 'normal'. Normal in the sense that i happens to a lot of people.

It's due to finasteride's effect on your hormones. Which should ballance out with time.

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have consistent problems with your skin Minocin *brand name*, drug name minocycline is the best antibiotic by far. Considerably more expensive if you have to pay for it.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
sonic - i started minocin a few days ago for back acne. are you talking from personal experience? how long, on a course of daily minocin, did it take for your acne to clear?

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
sonic - i started minocin a few days ago for back acne. are you talking from personal experience? how long, on a course of daily minocin, did it take for your acne to clear?

hey youngguy. I'm talking from 4 years experience on Minocin. It has never killed my problem entirely but I believe I am better off on it.

Antibiotics, with me, go like this. If I was in your position now having not been on antibiotics and start taking minocin my skin wouldn't have a blemish anywhere after 2 weeks. Then slowly after it would get them again every so often.

Because I have been on antibiotics for, in medical terms forever, my body has built up a tollerance to them. So they aren't as effective as they should be.

BUT Minocin out of all the 'cyclines is the one you are least likely to build up a tollerance to. It is also the only one that has a considerable anti-inflamatory effect. This will always be working on the problems you have while the antibiotic part works at stopping the problems appearing.