Propecia at 17?

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok.Im 17 and hairloss has been running my life for about a year now.My hairline is totally screwed and is dangerously close to a horseshoe.ive become so depressed over this im almost sucidal Ive been on regaine for about 7 months and it hasnt done a thing.I went to see a Doctor in october.i had blood tests and he told me i had male pattern baldness.I went again today and he wrote me a private perscritption for propecia.However im still scared shitless to be honest as ive read so many frighteneing things here about the effects of the drug which you have to multiply by 2 considering im only 17.Now im assuming that the minute i take my first tablet of propecia that will effectivley end puberty.The thing is,is there any way to tell you have finished?My only indicators are that i can pretty much grow a full beard and recently ive been growing a lot of chest hair.Im not the biggest guy standing only 5 8 but my mum is 5 6 and my dad is 5 7 so is that really a suprise and as far as penis size goes, i dont think saying you arent finsihed puberty untill you are x inches is really valid.So can someone give me some advice here,im i doing the right thing? and if i start propecia do i need to continue with the minoxidil.And if i stop it does that mean a load of hair will fall out from my hairline which is were ive been using it?

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
I do believe finasteride will inhibit maturation of the prostate and development of body hair, only at specific times in life. Lets just say, if you can't use your *thing* at 17 - something else is very wrong!

finasteride most likely won't do anything to affect your "growth", there's no evidence on reduced sizes of anything except the prostate - and when your family has a history of prostate problems, it might even be a plus - and your Doctor gave you the all clear! Just get the pills, eat them, and never think about hair loss again .. just force yourself, you'll feel a lot better :)

Yahowha

Reaction score
There was a thread very similar to this about a week ago here.

My thoughts on taking Propecia under 18 are on the 2nd page of that thread. Don't let all the talk here about side effects scare you. Millions of dollars of research says Propecia's side effects are barely higher than those of placebo, meaning the actual occurance of side effects is extremely low. I'm no doctor, but I doubt Propecia instantly puts the brakes on puberty, especially since both our doctors prescribed it to us. From what I understand about puberty, if you're growing chest hair you're pretty much through it anyway. My advice to you is bite the bullet and take the damn thing.

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
too much side effects, im 17 as well . Im looking forward on spironolactone since its pretty good as propecia

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Wezz:

Do you have chest hair? Are you still growing? Do you feel your still in the midst of your active puberty stage?

Just because your 17 doesn't mean that you shouldn't take propecia. It's recommended for people 18 and over but really what difference does a few months make? I took it when I was 17.

As far as spironolactone being almost as good as propecia is pretty skeptical. You may be able to show me studies that suggest that, but spironolactone doesn't have the data behind it to absolutely prove it's claims.

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
mate i wouldnt be too concerned, from my personal experience. i started propecia when i was 17, but only a month off 18. wouldve maybe started bit earlier if i knew before about the treatment too.

dont x10 the sidies just because youre young. if anything, it probably works just as well that youre younger because your sex drive is assumedly high and your body should be used to hormonal changes.

this is mostly coming from my own experience. but ive been on it for 4 months. i experienced slight loss of libido..nothing major, just meant maybe 90% erections. and this only lasted about 2wks. to be honest, if someone had slipped propecia into a drink of mine and id been taking it for 4 months i doubt i couldve noticed something different was happening in my body. this is my experience though.

if you have sidies the great likelihood is they will go away (talking from clinical data and what ive made out from opinions on the board since ive been here). the reason i went on propecia is, assessing all this, i thought about how much my hair meant to me, and how much loss i already had. you might want to ask yourself those questions. for me, being a diffuse thinner, i couldnt handle losing quite a lot at a young age.

your choice.

Last blade

Established Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback.I started my course of propecia today.I bought 1 months supply for a whopping 40 pounds (unbelievably expensive).Im going to stay positive and focus on the clinically and scientifically proven effectivness of propecia and low % of ppl effected by side effects.Its all to easy to become complete paranoid and imagine side effects that dont really exsist.I think you also have to bear in mind that most people are on this board because they have a hair loss problem,so its mostly bad experiences that get reported.If i was cured and was able to get on with my life because of propecia or regaine or any drug i know that this would be the last place id be spending time.

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Doing the right thing

You are doing the right thing. I started propecia about a month ago and at first I had some side effects. I had a huge increase in my sex drive, which then halted and now its a little lower. But everything seems to be getting back to normal. I think you should be ok, you have to try and and see what happens. I was always worried about my hairloss, but now I feel that just taking that little pill everyday makes me feel a little better whether its working or not. Good luck!!!

Tony

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Last Blade: Save yourself some money and get proscar instead of propecia. There exactly the same and by splitting the proscar tablets into fourths you'll save yourself a considerable amount of money. 40 pounds a month is ridiculous!

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
40 pounds!!! :eek:

That's almost how much i pay for an entire year for proscar!

Yahowha

Reaction score
For a month of Propecia I pay about $50 USD which is probably a little under 30 pounds. Proscar is way more economical than Propecia, but by splitting it into 4ths your getting that extra .25mg of finasteride. It's probably nothing but who knows that extra .25mg could be the difference between sides and no sides. You've got to weigh the greater value vs. the slightly greater risk.

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
My first month of Propecia costed me £40.50. UK = stupid prices on everything.

sonicthehedgehog

Established Member
Reaction score
youngguy_uk said:
£65

i win!!

What!!?! Was that with next day delivery on a saturday express super private courier helicopter swat team delivery?

youngguy_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
next day delivery but minus the swat helicopters. where do you get yours from? prescription?