Propecia and Prostate's

Red_eye

Reaction score
I know that Proscar was orginally developed to help men with enlarged prostate glands. I believe that it did this job very well, and it was also noticed that men who were using Proscar were showing signs of regrowth on scalps that had been previously bald, Hence Propeca was developed.

So I take it that Proscar helped people with enlarged Prostate glands, by reducing the size of the prostates right??? Doesn't it also mean that taking Propecia will do the same same, that could one of the reasons that men on Propecia can have Sexual problems,

Did the FDA look in to this ?? Thanks

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
Your body needs DHT to develop the Prostate Gland. One of the Prostate's ffunction is to develop the sexual organs during puberty and to create fluids that mix with the semen in the ejac. The removal of DHT is removing the chemical that the body needs for the prostate to do it's job.
No wonder some men have sexual problems while taking finasteride.

I read about the prostate at this location:

http://www.prostatecare.com/prostate/wh ... it_do.html

Red_eye

Reaction score
But does this mean??

I have read what you have said, so does it mean that by using Propcia your prostates will get smaller over time??

How c*m, nobody seems to be bothered about this on the forum??

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
hmmm..don't know. I'm not a doctor. But from what I've read, the DHT acts on and continues to act on the prostate and, over time, causes problems for most men by the time their in 70's and 80's. That is why Doctor's ask for guys 40+ to take PSA (sp?) test. This test will tell them if the prostate is healthy or not. By removing the DHT, I imagine, it allows the prostate to remain a more "normal" size, rather than causing it to continue to enlarge, and possibly become cancerous. Anyone care to clarify and/or correct anything I've said?

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
So would i be fucked then if i'm taking propecia now when i'm only 18?
I was one of those kids that hit puberty rather young though. Haven't grown since gr.9, and haven't become much hairier either.

G

It should be acknowledged that the "DHT causes prostate cancer" theory is just that, a theory. Many reputable scientists would argue it is the testosterone/estrogen ratio that really is at the root of prostate cancer.

Fact is that men who take finasteride can still experience prostate cancer, even if the gland is reduced in size.

Confusing, no? :hairy:

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
You are right. It is a theory and it goes "something" like this...as you age, your testosterone level drops. Due to the lowered test levels, the DHT interacts with the estrogen (yes, guys have estrogen and chicks have testosterone...we are humans) and supposedly somehow has an increased negative impact on the prostate. In the meantime, I'll just have another beer to wash down the finasteride.