Propecia and oily skin?

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed their skin, particularly their face, becoming oilier on propecia? I've been on finasteride for 5 days and I feel a bit greasy, something rather out of the ordinary for me.

KipWinger

Established Member
Reaction score
me too. i am taking it one year and a mounth mark. is this normal happen in propecia users?

Britannia

Reaction score
Im about 1 month on Propecia and Ive got acne on my shoulders and chest, something Ive never had before. Its pretty nasty.

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
That's weird,

I am noticing just the opposite. My skin is much drier now.

But I was oily before. Maybe it is sort of a reversal effect depending on what your hormones were doing before???

I don't know....

Anyway good thread, these types of details are important to share.

Joe.

laevanay

Reaction score
For me I will go with the Dryer Group; I posted earlier that I had excessive greasy/oily hair, but since I started Propecia the oiliness ended. But in my 3rd week seems like I am getting back on the oily side.

Lev

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
yup.....propecia makes my skin very dry, and it also gives me a lot of acne. I had to start taking minocin to help control the acne but I still get some on my face. anyone else have this problem?

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
kosmo said:
yup.....propecia makes my skin very dry, and it also gives me a lot of acne. I had to start taking minocin to help control the acne but I still get some on my face. anyone else have this problem?

i experience it too. having acne. it seem to increase when i started minoxidil last month.

all the side effect without much benefit in hair grow :cry:

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Private Ryan said:
kosmo said:

i experience it too. having acne. it seem to increase when i started minoxidil last month.

all the side effect without much benefit in hair grow :cry:

i know the feeling. i tried adding minoxidil but had to stop cause it made my side effects 10 times worse.

in month 2 i cut the dosage in half due to acne and it did seem to help. but i was worried that half a pill wouldn't work so i went on minocin and started taking the full pill again.

so now i have to deal with dry skin and acne?? the price of vanity i suppose...

rkim

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've also experienced excessive dry skin, especially the face. I've always had dry skin, but this is ridiculous! I'm alos on .5 minoxidil. Someone mentioned sides getting worse with minoxidil. Which sides? I assume only acne or dry skin, right? There is no connection with sexual sides and minoxidil, right?

aozomozoa

Reaction score
I am just about 5 days away from 2 months on propecia and to be honest my facial skin has not experienced any noticeable change either way. I haven't become more prone to acne than I was before taking propecia and I haven't experienced dryer skin either.

However, I must note that about 2 years ago (I'm 20 now) my facial skin started to get really oily. In every picture I was in my forehead was like a glowing orb. Very greasy. At the end of August 05 I started using the Proactiv system that many of you might have seen on tv.

I never had terrible terrible acne in the first place, but enough to douse my confidence. Proactiv has definitely enrichened my skin and I am still oily but not at all like I was before, and I still get small zits from time to time. The proactiv system seems to be similar to propecia in that it does work but it takes a couple months to see full benefits.

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
for the people who get acne while on propecia, has anyone experienced good results?

im still waiting to see if its working for me. i just had a big shed so im waiting to see if it fills in.

the only side effects i've expereinced with propecia is acne and dry skin. no sexual side effects i dont think. but yes, when i added minoxidil it made things worse. it made my skin much more greasy which made my acne worse. i would also get it all over not just on my face. it increased body hair and facial hair significantly. but no sexual side effects.

when i cut the propecia dose down to 0.5mg/day it helped control my acne. i would like to cut the dose down again but as im not sure if its working for me yet, i dont want to take any chances.