Propecia and having children

hairaisinglyhairy

Reaction score
Hi folks , I Have been visiting this forum since like a month and really appreciate the advise and sense of concern and care displayed here by members. Registered myself here today and this is my first post :D

Iam 28 years old in India. Noticed hairloss when i was 23 and after running here and there for snake oil based cures i gave up on any treatment after an year. Luckily my hairloss was really slow and not at all noticeable and i think it even got a reversed a bit for some time. Anyway since last year the patch on the top got a bit conspicious and I started on MinTop ( generic minoxidil by Reddy labs) 2 weeks back. Think it stopped/reduced hair fall and is effective.

Iam considering propecia but concerned about one issue. I am likely to be married in six months or so and like to start trying for a child immedetely after. But I have read reports that Propecia can reduce sperm count and also an accidentle contact with a pregnant woman can cause some risks. So i would like opinions on this ? should i hold out on propecia for few years hoping my balding wont go very conspicuous or do you think propecia is safe.

Thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions.

jc444

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there,

i dont know much about what is recommended for someone in your position but i can tell you that i have been on propecia for 6 years without break and a year ago my wife had our first child, a beautful, healthy, normal boy.

i didnt change my one-a-day regime at all during conception or at any stage in the last 6 years.

probably should talk to an expert but it was no problem for me and my family.

good luck and congrats.

cheers,
jc

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I wonder about dutasteride and starting a family. I mean, in 5 or 6 years, ill be out of college and have a job, and probably married and maybe even a father.

Do you think dutasteride is trasnfered through semen, and, if so, will it affect the fetus?

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
just take propecia. it won't affect child birth and fetus for most people.

in india it is really easy to get good and cheap drug. how i wish i can be there for duts, finasteride, etc etc. haha....

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairaisinglyhairy said:
Hi folks , I Have been visiting this forum since like a month and really appreciate the advise and sense of concern and care displayed here by members. Registered myself here today and this is my first post :D

Iam 28 years old in India. Noticed hairloss when i was 23 and after running here and there for snake oil based cures i gave up on any treatment after an year. Luckily my hairloss was really slow and not at all noticeable and i think it even got a reversed a bit for some time. Anyway since last year the patch on the top got a bit conspicious and I started on MinTop ( generic minoxidil by Reddy labs) 2 weeks back. Think it stopped/reduced hair fall and is effective.

Iam considering propecia but concerned about one issue. I am likely to be married in six months or so and like to start trying for a child immedetely after. But I have read reports that Propecia can reduce sperm count and also an accidentle contact with a pregnant woman can cause some risks. So i would like opinions on this ? should i hold out on propecia for few years hoping my balding wont go very conspicuous or do you think propecia is safe.

Thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions.

Just quit propecia for 2 months before you start trying to impregnate your wife. Once you score...then you can u restart!

softsoapjones

Reaction score
"Do you think dutasteride is trasnfered through semen, and, if so, will it affect the fetus?"

Maybe it'll catch your future son's hair loss before it starts :lol:

seriously though, has anyone here thought about how it's going to suck telling your kid at around 18 that they are probably going to start losing their hair? :cry:

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Dude, there will be way better options by the time anyone's kid is at 10. Assuming the baby were born this year.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The information given to physicians by the makers of both propecia and avodart suggests that a very low dose of the drugs are transferred in the semen but they are way below the dose that caused any kind of defect in animal fetuses.

Also the drug excreted in the semen binds strongly to proteins in the semen so is probably not absorbed by the female anyway.

Propecia used to have a recommendation in its leaflet to stop using it if trying to get pregnant but I don't think they even bother to put it in any more as the risk was so small.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairaisinglyhairy said:
Iam considering propecia but concerned about one issue. I am likely to be married in six months or so and like to start trying for a child immedetely after.

I wouldent worry, most likely the propecia will render you impotent and thus unable to impregnate your new and h0rny wife.

j/k dude. :hairy:

Seriously though, if you want the highest chance that your child will be absolutely healthy I wouldent take it, and I would attempt to elliminate other potentially unhealthy things from you and your future wife's lives.

Take the propecia when you are no longer trying to concieve would be my advice.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Finasteride is completely out of your system after two days of not taking it, right?