Propecia and finasteride side effects very similar?

Krunko

Reaction score
So I've been on propecia for about 5 months now. My hair definately from what I can tell hasn't thinned more, and if anything it's gotten a little thicker. If it has gotten thicker it hasn't been that much of a change.

I was thinking of trying finasteride to see if I get better results. If you get good results with propecia are you pretty much guarunteed to get atleast equal results with finasteride?

Also, are the side effects much different? When I started propecia I definately had less sexual drive right away, but it seems like after a couple months it almost recovered to normal. It's probably not 100% at where it was, but I'd say atleast 75-80% which doesn't bother me. I also noticed a very very slight swelling around the nips it looks like. Nothing very noticeable, I can hardly tell.

So anyways...now that we'd discussed my nips...(eww) Do yout hink I'd experience much more side effects if I switched to finasteride?

thanks,
chance

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
finasteride and propecia are the same thing, are you talking about proscar? If so no the sides are the same, and it does the same thing. You basically just have to cut the 5mg pill down to 4 or 5 and you will get the same desired results with the same sides.

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
Propecia is finasteride! Finasteride is the name of the substance that lowers dht. Propecia is the brand name for the pill that contains 1mg finasteride. Proscar is the brand name for the pill that contains 5mg finasteride.

You have to be more patient. It can take up to 12 months to see the full effect of using finasteride. Certainly regrowth can not be expected in the first 6 months (if it happens at all). But if you feel your hair has thickened that is a good sign that the drug is working for you (no guarantees though). Give it at least 9 to 12 months before making any judgements. Best thing to do would be to take some pictures every month for comparison.

Krunko

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I mean proscar...I mean whatever that stuff is called that's supposed to be like propecia, but block even more DHT.

So I guess if I havn't noticed much regrowth I might start noticing after 6 months of propecia? I'm actually taking the generic kind because you can get it online really cheap, but I'm guessing it works just as well.

Krunko

Reaction score
Pirate Commander F.B. said:
Propecia is finasteride! Finasteride is the name of the substance that lowers dht. Propecia is the brand name for the pill that contains 1mg finasteride. Proscar is the brand name for the pill that contains 5mg finasteride.

You have to be more patient. It can take up to 12 months to see the full effect of using finasteride. Certainly regrowth can not be expected in the first 6 months (if it happens at all). But if you feel your hair has thickened that is a good sign that the drug is working for you (no guarantees though). Give it at least 9 to 12 months before making any judgements. Best thing to do would be to take some pictures every month for comparison.

Seems like 5mg would be overkill. I'm taking 1mg, should that be enough? I'm not experiencing crazy hairloss or anything, but I'd like to get back to having thicker hair.

Pirate Commander F.B.

Established Member
Reaction score
Krunko said:
Pirate Commander F.B. said:

Seems like 5mg would be overkill. I'm taking 1mg, should that be enough? I'm not experiencing crazy hairloss or anything, but I'd like to get back to having thicker hair.

Hey Krunko,

the 5mg version is used to treat BHP (a prostate condition) and the 1mg version is intended for hairloss. When people on this board say they're using proscar (5mg) they generally mean they buy proscar but cut the pills into 4 pieces to save some cash.

1mg will be fine. Just give it more time to work.