Progress

DP

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this stuff. I had a quetion for you guys who have been around for a while, researching, and staying up to date on possible new treatments. Does it seem like there is progress being made in the last couple of years opposed to say 5-10 years ago or have their always been promising new drugs in the pipeline, promising studies, etc etc? Like I said I'm new to this stuff so it seems like there is progress being made but maybe the same hype has been surrounding some of these studies, drugs, possible new treatments for the past 10 years. Thoughts? I know some guys are cynical around here and will disregard any progress but if I can get an honest opinion that would be great. - thanks

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
Big breakthrough with propecia around 10 years ago, minoxidil around 7 I think. Lasercomb(still in testing) is fairly new. Progress is obviously being made as if any of the drug companies can develop something posistive without huge sides there are billions to be made.

Obviously we know a lot more than we knew in the past, just gonna take a little while to figure it all out. I'm probably more optimistic than most, but I'd say within the next 20-50 years we'll have some sort of total cure. Probably within the next 10 years will have something fairly effective breakthrough developed similar to when propecia started.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but propecia wasn't a "breakthrough". Men have been using proscar (5mg finasteride) to treat BPH (enlarged prostate), and many noticed that they were regrowing hair as well.

So the downside is, since we stumbled onto it without even trying, and there hasn't been a similar affect observed with any other drug, you could argue that there is nothing new on the horizon.

The upside- and I am optimistic, too- is that the research and application of new drugs is an ongoing effort, so we just have to keep our ears to the ground.

But I'm more optimistic about hair cloning than I am about finding a new drug, be it topical or systemic.

DP

Reaction score
Just because they stumbled on propecia doesn't mean they will stumble on every other treatment. I may be wrong but stumbling on propecia helped us understand what's really behind hair loss and provided a base to work off of

I'm pretty skeptical of hair cloning - i feel like that will take a long time to perfect - will the hair look the same or grow in the same direction, etc... i see promise in stem cells ... maybe injecting stem cells into a bald scalp can grow hair - but i'm obviously no scientist, it just sounds more likely to me than cloning a hair cell.

I feel like there are a bunch of studies and preclinical tests being published and it sounds like they're making progress and learning more about possible treatments. I asked that question b/c I don't know if the same thing was happening 10 years ago. It sounds like within 10 years - they can find something everyone can be satisfied with - even if it's not a complete cure.