Powdered Greens: A Supplement that Actually Makes Sense?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
[This post is about general health, not hair loss].

The lines of supermarkets, health food stores, and pharmacies are littered with hundreds to thousands of bogus supplements, different combinations of multivitamins/multiminerals that just turn into expensive piss. This community has a deep antagonism to saw palmetto: a lot of people hate and resent the snake oil salesmen coming in to take money by offering false promises, false hope. This applies to any condition you may have: obesity, bad skin, bad sleep, et cetera, there are dozens of expensive bogus herbal supplements for you.

It's unclear whether *any* of that stuff has *any* positive impact for you. It's despairing, because I'm entirely willing to spend ~$1,000/year to pop a few pills for marginal improvement, and I'm sure they could identify good stuff with proper science. There are a few things documented to work: creatine and protein powder for example. Governments around the world require flour producers to enrich their flour with folic acid, and whenever governments do this the rate of spina bifida in newborns drop by ~70%. There's a proof of concept that nutritional supplements can work.

So I thought about powdered greens ... and I'm thinking, wow, this might actually be good for you, this might actually be sensible. It's usually just a miscellany of vegetables that are dried and turned into powder. Most of the weight in vegetables is water, most of the space is empty air, so it becomes a lot more efficient this you.

The one I bought, and I didn't know which one to buy, has spirulina, alfalfa, chlorella, wheatgras, barley, kale, spinach, brocolli, natural sea mineral powder, artichoke, mushroom, beetroot, caroot, pea protein powder (WTF?), and some other stuff.

5 grams (2 teaspoons) contains 60 calories. roughly equivalent to ~200 grams of brocoli, 150 grams of carrot, or 150 grams of beetroot. They all come out to ~$1/60 calories in Australia, so the cost of the powder is the same, it's just a mixed powder that is easy to assume. It's really hard over time to consistently get a diversity of vegetables everyday, they spoil easily, etc. This seems like it can help complement things.

igamblesowhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Green Vibrance brand a few times a week in my shakes. It is the brand with the most goodies in it and most clear labeling that I could find.

michaelle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I like green supplements a lot, they are really great and healthy! I am also a huge fan of CBD products, I have to say they are really healthy and good for you. I would like to recommend that you have a look at those from Area52 brand, for example. I like what they are doing, and they are awesome, I have to admit!

Last edited:

zero0x

My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently got something similar. Blend of kale, Brown Rice, AncienTrim (Millet, Amaranth, Buckwheat, Quinoa, Chia), Spirulina, Wheat Grass, Barley Grass, Oat Grass, Alfalfa Grass, Pomegranate, Beet, Carrot, Tomato, Spinach, Broccoli, Lemon, Acerola, Parsley, Blackberry, Blueberry, Ginko, Green Tea Extract, Bilberry, Grape Seed Extract, Elderberry . Yet to try it.