Potentially Switching From Finasteride To Dutasteride? Any Suggestions?

Cory twill

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey so I’ve been on these forums a couple times. I’m a 26 year old guy and I’ve been concerned about temple recession for a while now although in the past it’s seemed minimal to most. Finally I went to a different dermatologist and she suggested a scalp biopsy to find out once and for all whether or not I have male pattern baldness. I did the biopsy over my left temple and it came back positive for non inflammatory non scarring hair loss. So I’ve been dealing with that. The problem is even before I finally got a diagnosis I went ahead and got on finasteride last August. I’ve been religious about taking it. Only missed maybe two days max (at different times). The problem is it’s getting worse. My left temple has advanced a lot over the last three months let alone the last year. Now there’s also thinning on the right temple and I can ‘feel’ the back of my head more. So not sure what to do. I guess I might be a non responder to finasteride? Or maybe I have a particularly aggressive case that’s resisting finasteride. In other words I’m not sure if it’s helping at all or if it’s slowing it down just not very effectively. Part of me is accepting the fact this is gonna happen but, at the same time I’d really like it not to and if there’s an option out there that can halt it I’d like to explore it. The way things are going I feel like if I don’t do anything I can be pretty far along in the next five years.

so I’m thinking of switching to dutasteride. I have an appointment with my gp in 2 weeks (the guy who prescribed finasteride). I know it’s not fda approved for hair loss, is it hard to get? Do you think he’d prescribe me something like avodart? Also if finasteride isn’t working (or just isn’t working very well) would the potential still be there for dutasteride to work? I feel like it’s accelerated in the past three months a lot. Having a tough time. Thanks for advice.

Attachments

• F1D667EF-3D44-4704-89AF-A089EC3065EC.jpeg
    F1D667EF-3D44-4704-89AF-A089EC3065EC.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 29F58C48-59A7-4452-8A45-B11F28753CF4.jpeg
    29F58C48-59A7-4452-8A45-B11F28753CF4.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 120

Hairs45

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
to me, you look like a norwood zero losing the temple hair to mature into a norwood 1.

it will look better for you so you dont have a female hairline

i would just let that hair recede then go take dustasteride so you dont lose anymore

Cory twill

My Regimen
Reaction score
to me, you look like a norwood zero losing the temple hair to mature into a norwood 1.

it will look better for you so you dont have a female hairline

i would just let that hair recede then go take dustasteride so you dont lose anymore

two things: 1 yeah forsure I don’t have a problem with that I’m just a bit nervous because it’s happening pretty rapidly. 2: can I get dutasteride from my gp? I know it’s not fda approved for hair loss. But a lot of guys get on it for that so just wondering how that process works?

Hairs45

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
two things: 1 yeah forsure I don’t have a problem with that I’m just a bit nervous because it’s happening pretty rapidly. 2: can I get dutasteride from my gp? I know it’s not fda approved for hair loss. But a lot of guys get on it for that so just wondering how that process works?
GP? im guessing youre from the UK.

I dont how it works there on getting Dutasteride but in the US its pretty easy getting it online.

Cory twill

My Regimen
Reaction score
GP? im guessing youre from the UK.

I dont how it works there on getting Dutasteride but in the US its pretty easy getting it online.
No no I’m from the US. But online it says I need a prescription. How do I do that without seeing my doctor? Will he prescribe it if I ask?

Cory twill

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, you sure Norwood 1? Seems to me like it’s leaping right past that.

Attachments

• DFF11B02-A234-4E0A-B327-1C2721EBCA96.jpeg
    DFF11B02-A234-4E0A-B327-1C2721EBCA96.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 104