post surgery question

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Each Doctor varies, but most top clinics say generally the morning after surgery start shampooing as per the post-op instructions. No direct water pressure on the recipient area for 2 weeks is a good policy, using a cup to wet the head (in case they didnt tell you that already).

mike20768

Reaction score
Ok..my doctor told me to start 3 days after. Gently pouring water over my head. 5th-7th day start to lightly rub with shampoo. When I went to MHR years ago, i started shampooing carefully the next day and scabs were gone in 5 days.

Its already been one day so i think im going to start shampooing tomorrow. This is 3rd procedure i have had and first time being told to wait 3 days. Going to go against doctors orders :eek:

By the way, for those who care, Ive been to MHR twice. Decided to go to independent doctor in DC for the 3rd procedure. Only been one day so dont know what results will be like. Ill keep you posted. My doctor also told me MHR did a good job for me. Only thing wrong was the thick scar behind my head. They made it to wide and to low. Considering this was 7 years ago when the hair transplant were still new, i dont mind. My doctor said come back in 6-8 months and he will fix the wide scar for me.

G

Well if you ended up with a wide scar from MHR, how can your DC surgeon think that was good work?! Who was the independent DC doctor?

IMO, you should start pouring room temperature water mixed with shampoo over the recipient area. You can mix it first in a receptacle. Simply pour it over your grafts, BUT DO NOT RUB in the recipient area until you are at least 8 days post-op. The crusts will be ready to come off after a week or so to be safe.

It's okay to lightly rub in the sutured area with the pads on your fingertips but don't rub with an up and down motion, gently rub side-to-side to remove any dried blood, etc. Be gentle in the first week.

DaveOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's the post-op instructions from three different elite clinics:

Bernstein Medical:

Care of Transplanted Area
Shampoo every three to four hours the day following the hair restoration procedure, and then twice daily until your one-week post-op visit. Be especially careful when cleaning the transplanted site in the first few days so that the grafts will not be dislodged. However, a thorough but gentle rinsing of the recipient area will minimize crusting and make the hair transplantation less noticeable. When shampooing and rinsing the transplanted area, be gentle for the first two weeks following the hair transplant surgery. Do not rub, pick or scratch, as this may dislodge grafts.

IHTI

6. 24-36 hours after surgery, shampoo the graft sites gently with the shampoo provided by the clinic. You can be more aggressive when cleaning the donor area. Shampoo your head twice a day for three days. You may use your regular shampoo immediately after shampooing with our cleanser. Be careful not to let the shower water hit your directly on the graft sites. You may want to keep a cup in the shower to help rinse the graft sites. Blot dry the graft sites until ALL scabs have fallen off.

Jeffrey Epstein- foundhair:

o If you are not coming to the office to have your hair washed, you may gently clean it on the second day as follows:

+ Wet your head in the shower with cool to warm water, pouring it over the scalp (top, sides, and back) using a bowl.
+ Using a mild shampoo, lather it in your hands, and gently pat it onto the graft areas, while lightly rubbing it into the other parts of the scalp, including the sides and back of the scalp. Be sure to wash well the sutured areas.
+ Gently rinse off the shampoo, then pat dry.
+ Combing, as long as it is performed gently, is permitted on the third day.
+ Continue this routine daily for the first 5 days. After this, you may begin to lightly rub the graft area to help remove crusts, and shower normally.
+ Any remaining crusts after 8 days should be rubbed off. Stop if there is any pain or bleeding and wait 2 more days.

Slightly different, but generally along the same lines. Basically wash the second day, and keep things clean, but just be very gentle, lightly patting the area, and never using direct water pressure. You def want to keep your head clean though. Hope this helps.

mike20768

Reaction score
Thank You. I appreciate this.

Another question, how normal is swelling? Day after surgery my forehead was swelled up...now its the 2nd day and the area above my eyes has swelled up a bit. I look like I just got finished boxing.

v-head

Reaction score
Absolutely normal. I just had my hair transplant done on the 26th, and I'm sitting here looking like a freakin' Klingon from a StarTrek convention.

Everyone I've chatted with on every forum has a similar story with varying degrees of swelling.

Don't worry, mate. It'll be gone soon enough.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Takes about 5 days for it to work its way down your face I found.