Post OP and working out

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Doctor Alvi Armani told me light working out after a month and not to go back to my heavy weight training routine for a year, what is up with that?

I have already lost like 10 lbs in 3 weeks from not going to the gym and poor eating which is my fault. So in one more week i can do a light workout, whats that mean, i need to hit the weights and i will not wait a year.

Anyone have anything to say about this.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Personally I believe a year is too long and you should be able to get back before then, at least after 6 months.

In the meantime eat well, take lots of protein powder and creatine and do lots of light high rep work. You should be able to at least maintain your size.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
global said:
Personally I believe a year is too long and you should be able to get back before then, at least after 6 months.

In the meantime eat well, take lots of protein powder and creatine and do lots of light high rep work. You should be able to at least maintain your size.

yeah im going to the Gym a week from this monday and going to do lighter weight with a few heavy weights here and there.

what would happen if i do use heavy weights?

G

tpeter, please try and not do "anything" that will cause or promote tension on the suture line buddy. It CAN stretch even from doing simple things like crunches or sit-ups. Increasing your cardio-vascular rate for long periods can also promote pressure which can cause stretching and/or tension in that area. You would not want a raised scar either.

The inner layer of scalp tissue (dermis) is soft tissue unlike the outer layer (epidermis). Simply put, it takes longer to heal and repair including the mending of blood vessels, capillaries, and nerve endings. In addition there is no air flow around that soft tissue like the epidermis.

So there is more to it than the eye can see my friend. IMO, one year does seem a lttle long but I'm no doctor and I don't practice medicine so maybe e-mail a few long term reputable hair transplant surgeons for their respective opinions. Many of them have patients that lift weights.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
tpeter, please try and not do "anything" that will cause or promote tension on the suture line buddy. It CAN stretch even from doing simple things like crunches or sit-ups. Increasing your cardio-vascular rate for long periods can also promote pressure which can cause stretching and/or tension in that area. You would not want a raised scar either.

The inner layer of scalp tissue (dermis) is soft tissue unlike the outer layer (epidermis). Simply put, it takes longer to heal and repair including the mending of blood vessels, capillaries, and nerve endings. In addition there is no air flow around that soft tissue like the epidermis.

So there is more to it than the eye can see my friend. IMO, one year does seem a lttle long but I'm no doctor and I don't practice medicine so maybe e-mail a few long term reputable hair transplant surgeons for their respective opinions. Many of them have patients that lift weights.

Thanks Gill,

You got me nervous now just doing light weights. I was planning on going back to the gym this coming monday and doing lower weights and some cardio.

He did say i could do light workouts, im just not sure what is considered light.

G

You're very welcome tpeter and glad to be of some help to you. IMO most docs will define "light activity" or what they sometimes refer to as "light cardio" as that level of activity which does not cause heavy breathing nor break a sweat. Any activity will increase the heart rate but it's when we break sweat and/or start panting that a higher level of continual blood pressure is delivered throughout the body including the sutured area.

A few other things. When I used to lift, I had this habit of moving my neck and head around including touching my chin to my chest to loosen up. Those types of movements can put tension on the scar as well so no inclines, decline positions, etc. :shock:

Now don't take me wrong on this next one because I honestly am not implying anything nor trying to be a comedian. When I used to work inside the clinic I never let a patient having surgery leave without going over all of the post-op instructions and care. I think it's very practical to the patient to have someone who has been through the procedure themself to assist in this area. Now here it is. I always "highly suggested" to patients in refraining from sexual activity especially intercourse for no less than eight days following the surgery. This also includes oral sex and masturbation as wierd as it may sound. And how many patients will call their doctor back if they pop grafts from that? I know it's a very sensitive area to discuss but better safe than sorry! :freaked2:

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
You're very welcome tpeter and glad to be of some help to you. IMO most docs will define "light activity" or what they sometimes refer to as "light cardio" as that level of activity which does not cause heavy breathing nor break a sweat. Any activity will increase the heart rate but it's when we break sweat and/or start panting that a higher level of continual blood pressure is delivered throughout the body including the sutured area.

A few other things. When I used to lift, I had this habit of moving my neck and head around including touching my chin to my chest to loosen up. Those types of movements can put tension on the scar as well so no inclines, decline positions, etc. :shock:

Now don't take me wrong on this next one because I honestly am not implying anything nor trying to be a comedian. When I used to work inside the clinic I never let a patient having surgery leave without going over all of the post-op instructions and care. I think it's very practical to the patient to have someone who has been through the procedure themself to assist in this area. Now here it is. I always "highly suggested" to patients in refraining from sexual activity especially intercourse for no less than eight days following the surgery. This also includes oral sex and masturbation as wierd as it may sound. And how many patients will call their doctor back if they pop grafts from that? I know it's a very sensitive area to discuss but better safe than sorry! :freaked2:

lol its funny you say that about sex, my girlfriend came with me to Toronto and the night i had my surgery as much pain as i was in i did something you said not to lol.

Hope i didnt mess anything up.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:

When i lift weights i really dont sweat that much so does mean i can still lift or am i just doing cardio.

how long does it take the scar to heal all the way, i know people that have heart surgery that can workout faster then what this Doctor is telling me.

G

tpeter,

That's why I used both scenarios in sweating and/or breathing. It's one or the other or both. Light weights which are for "toning not building" muscle tissue usually do not get one breathing heavy. You know your body. You know your routines. You'll know when your heart rate raises to the point where your breathing has to catch up. No exertion.

IMO, the scar can take "up to" one year to completely heal and I'm including the inner dermis. People have variances in how they heal and how quickly they heal. Not that I'm speaking for any doctor nor practicing medicine, but I believe the general consensous of hair transplant docs will tell you to layoff that type of activity for at least 2-3 months. Why don't you e-mail some of the more known ones and ask them to respond and compare notes.

Anyways, it's also very good to take a break from weight lifting and rest that tissue for several months anyways. Watch how much muscle tissue you gain when you hit em' again when you go back to it. Getting a hair transplant is always a good opportunity to do just that and also to protect your big $$$ investment.

Try to be patient tpeter. The healing period in your scalp is important and why risk anything that is under your control? I mean listen brother, sometimes I get e-mails and calls from patients where things "out of their control" happen to them. You don't want to do something to yourself that you will regret later. Try to find another activity to fill that void that you might be feeling from not hitting the gym man. In no time you'll be in the clear! :wink:

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
tpeter,

That's why I used both scenarios in sweating and/or breathing. It's one or the other or both. Light weights which are for "toning not building" muscle tissue usually do not get one breathing heavy. You know your body. You know your routines. You'll know when your heart rate raises to the point where your breathing has to catch up. No exertion.

IMO, the scar can take "up to" one year to completely heal and I'm including the inner dermis. People have variances in how they heal and how quickly they heal. Not that I'm speaking for any doctor nor practicing medicine, but I believe the general consensous of hair transplant docs will tell you to layoff that type of activity for at least 2-3 months. Why don't you e-mail some of the more known ones and ask them to respond and compare notes.

Anyways, it's also very good to take a break from weight lifting and rest that tissue for several months anyways. Watch how much muscle tissue you gain when you hit em' again when you go back to it. Getting a hair transplant is always a good opportunity to do just that and also to protect your big $$$ investment.

Try to be patient tpeter. The healing period in your scalp is important and why risk anything that is under your control? I mean listen brother, sometimes I get e-mails and calls from patients where things "out of their control" happen to them. You don't want to do something to yourself that you will regret later. Try to find another activity to fill that void that you might be feeling from not hitting the gym man. In no time you'll be in the clear! :wink:

Thanks for the advice, its just hard because i have been working out religiously for a year now "worked out before just on an off" I was making good gains which are so hard for me. Now i feel like i am going back to the way i was a year ago in just this short time.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
It's alright tpeter, I still love you-- In that not-gay way. You know.

look at this way--

At least you're not going to be fat AND bald--

You're going to have hair-- and you can always get back into better shape.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
It's alright tpeter, I still love you-- In that not-gay way. You know.

look at this way--

At least you're not going to be fat AND bald--

You're going to have hair-- and you can always get back into better shape.

lol

G

I know how addicting weight lifting can be. I remember if I ever missed a routine especially arms or chest, it would bug me to no end, I would be in a bad mood for awhile. It would throw my week off on which days I did what routine.

But just wait tpeter when you do let your muscles heal completely and then "hit em again". You'll blow up man, you'll see.

Just try real hard to not gamble the large investment you made into your hair transplant my friend.

tpeter

Established Member
Reaction score
gillenator said:
I know how addicting weight lifting can be. I remember if I ever missed a routine especially arms or chest, it would bug me to no end, I would be in a bad mood for awhile. It would throw my week off on which days I did what routine.

But just wait tpeter when you do let your muscles heal completely and then "hit em again". You'll blow up man, you'll see.

Just try real hard to not gamble the large investment you made into your hair transplant my friend.

yea im going to steer away i guess from the weights. i prolly wont bother with the light cardio if im not lifting.

G

Smart man. Always much better to be thankful than regretful! :D