Post here for over 3 years of treatment

G

I know that there recently was a veteran posters thread, but i didn't get some answers that i would like to get. I was wondering if there is any posters on here that have been treating hairloss for over 3 years. I want to know what has worked and if they have added certain treatments through the years. Also how have those added treatments helped or not helped. And how would you rate your hair against your baseline? I really just want to know what i can expect in the years to come. Thanks

scottp999

Reaction score
Used proscar 1.25mg from Aug 1998 to Dec 12, 2002.
Swithced to avodart .5 mg Dec 13 2002 to present.

Started Minoxidil 5% Feb 2003 and slacked off Oct 2003.

Restarted minoxidil 5 weeks ago and will not quit again.

I can say that proscar stopped my hair loss and switching to avodart probably did not give me too much in the way of additional results.

When I added Minoxidil to the mix, 5% twice per day I saw a huge amount of regrowth. I think using propecia and minoxidil in combination is the key to regrowth at least in my case. It was regrowth from the existing hairline back and it was substancial. I could never grow any of my original hairline back but I am trying out Dr. Lees 15% minoxidil to see if it will help.

I also have used nizoral 1% since Dec 2002 about 3 days a week.

As far as comparing to base line. My hairline is about 2 inches higher than before I started to lose it. I have diffuse thinning throughout the top and a little thinner at about 2 inch circle at crown. When I combined Avodart and minoxidil I saw dense regroth from my exisitng hairline back to the point where you could not tell that I had diffuse thinning. It was amazing. No progress on moving the hairline forward but I was very pleased.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
Without going thru me whole hair loss history - I'm 31, losing since 18 or so. Slow diffuse thinning, then slow recession from mid to late 20s.

I think propecia maintains my crown, but only minoxidil has given me regrowth and good thickening in front over the last 14 months on it.

Luckily my loss has been very slow, and I now have good hair for me age.

Hairybush1

Established Member
Reaction score
Holy sh*t its, scottp999!

Whats up my man?! I've been emailing you from AR. Nice to see ya here bro.

Hope ya stick around.

crayola

Reaction score
http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip054.htm
This guy's been on propecia for what, going on 6 years? I contacted him a couple months ago for a follow up and this is what he said:

Thanks for asking about my use of Propecia.

I began using finasteride (marketed as Propecia) in the summer of 1998 and continue to use it, without interruption since. Yes, the effects continue to be positive (if they weren't I would have stopped using it). I have experienced no "resistence" to the benefits of the drug.

The active ingredient in Propecia is primarily helpful for preventing thining/balding near the crown, more than for the temporal area.

I have discovered that for myself, taking finasteride in conjunction with silica ("Horsetail" herb) has been very helpful in reducing hair fallout. (Of course, I also supplement with several multi-vitamin/mineral pills a day). The combination works very well for me. I would suggest similarly adding to your dietary supplementation, as well as the usual factors of good diet and exercise regimen.

I hope this has sated your curiosity, and I hope my suggestions are helpful.

So, for this guy at least, it has continued to work. Just thought I'd add that, as he is the longest-term user I know of.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
X50: Has claimed to have seen sustained success on proscar for over 10 years now.