pman2004's Story

pman2004

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm 21 now. I started noticing hair loss and thinning about 2 years ago now. f*** it's been awhile. Okay so it's not so bad right now, but it's starting to get to the point where it's noticable and it's really impacting my self-esteem. The main area of concern seems to be the crown of my head and just a general overall thinning. And more recently I have been noticing that my hairline is starting to receed. One correlation that I should make is that I stopped eating meat about 2 and a half years ago, so I'm not sure if there would be any connection. Anyways, I'm starting to think that doing something about it may indeed be a good idea so that I won't be such a basketcase about it, and I'm wondering how I should proceed. I read a bit about Propecia but am skeptical to it's ability to do anything and it's possible side effects (on my libido). Should I go see a dermatologist? I live in Canada, and am a student, does OHIP cover anything (I'd imagine no, but might as well ask)? thanks.

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
Seeing a dermatologist is a good idea.

You should research on how vegetarians supplement a meat-less diet in order to keep proper health. I'm sure there is a wealth of information on that, so you shouldn't have to look too far. I believe that thinning hair can be attributed to a vegetarian lifestyle, but definitely look in to it.

It sounds like there is a decent possibility that you have male pattern baldness (do you have a family history of it?), or you could just be maturing to your adult hairline and it will slow down or stop altogether. Getting a professional opinion is highly recommended so that if you do have male pattern baldness you can start treating it early, if you so choose.

fast times

Reaction score
Pman, its unlikely your diet is causing your hairloss unless youve been really deficient in amino acids, ( food combining solves this eg: eggs and beans together). Get on the big three just like everyone on this board, 5%minoxidil, propecia, nizoral. Wish I did when I was your age. The Drug store charges 60.00 Can a month for Propecia. with your perscription and "no" its not covered by ohip, but I fing it online as proscar and cut it into 4 pieces, minoxidil 5% is online cheap, and nizoral 2% is at shoppers drug mart. Good luck bro

Portunfio

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with fasttimes

Propecia/Proscar (Finasteride)
Nizoral
minoxidil

Ive tried all three, and was off of it for 6 months. However if this makes you feel better, I started to shed less, actually saw some different textures to my hair after using Propecia for 1 month!

Imagine if you stick with it and use it for a year. Remember what everyone says on this site, don't give up your regimen too early!

BTW, I can't find Nizoral 2% in drug stores, isn't it a prescription formula?

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fast times said:
Get on the big three just like everyone on this board, 5%minoxidil, propecia, nizoral.

I recommend you start off with 1 Mg Finasteride and 1% Nizoral. You have 83% chance of keeping all your hair and 66% chance of growing back just by popping this one pill.

SAVE minoxidil FOR LATER.

Dont be too scared about the side effects. They DO happen in SOME cases, but most are just temporary and go off after a while. You can discuss with your doctor about your Finasteride concerns.