Please tell me at what stage my hair loss is?

knightrider13

My Regimen
Reaction score
24 Male.
Started minoxidil last December but ended up getting worse as I didn't clean my scalp properly. It was a non-alcohol based min, so my scalp would be filled with LOTS of grease (instead of dandruff), and the shampoo(KetoAD) which Idid twice a week didn't really help much.

Only last month (from 1 Aug) I hopped on finasteride and also changed to alcohol based min. What can I reasonably expect? What stage am I at currently?
How many grafts do I need if I go for a hair transplant?

Thinning at crown and mid-region of my scalp is really devastating and taking a toll on my mental health too. Please be honest with your feedback. Thank you for your time. Have a great day! :)

1631889906366.png
1631889881763.png
1631889818094.png
1631889852546.png
1631890388548.png

1631890265198.png

Attachments

• 1631890376419.png
    1631890376419.png
    264.1 KB · Views: 83

rippedgenius

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're at a stage where everything is definitely manageable and you can get some good results because you're young and have time.

Give finasteride some time to work, you will initially shed (some people don't), but don't less this discourage you. It's the most proven and less experimental method right now of minimising the conversion of Test to DHT.

My advice from experience is:
- Use brand name Propecia if you can. Don't buy generic as finasteride is getting very loosely sold by online e-commerce sites these days and you have no idea what you're getting.
- I found that generic Minoxidil makes my hair too greasy so I use Rogaine foam.
- Add a shampoo like Keto or T/Gel (I don't think there is a generic version)

From your pictures, half this forum would kill to be at the stage you're at :)

knightrider13

My Regimen
Reaction score
@rippedgenius Thank you. I feel more motivated to continue with the medication.

Of late I found my scalp very itchy and also has dandruff (buildup?) due to Minoxidil. Do you experience any?
In fact when I scratch some part of my crown area, it feels like it's kind of calcified. Not much sensation over there. What do you think?

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
No hairline recession which is always a positive. You can try microneedling as well, it may help

hopeful24

Reaction score
All good suggestions. As long as you're getting your finasteride from a reputable pharmacy ,like a walmart you'll be fine. You should be on Nizoral 2-3 times a week since it's part of the big three anyways it will have the added effect of treating your dandruff as well. I think switching to rogaine/ minoxidil foam will suffice in your case since your thinning in the crown and mid scalp area is mild at this point. You're lucky as others have mentioned and don't really fall under the typical norwood scale since you don't seem to have any type of hairline recession.

Remember hairloss is a battle for the long term so take it easy and be patient. If you don't see any changes in a few months or things get worse- go see a dermatalogist that specializes in hairloss just to make sure that yours is the typical alopecia and not anything else to be concerned about.

knightrider13

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just getting used to the regimen. Thank you @hopeful24 ! :)

After I switched to alcohol based minoxidil, my scalp feels very itchy and dry. Do you have any suggestions for that ?

jazz1

Reaction score
You seen a dermatologist?