Please Help ! This Is Destroying My Life

scaredteen

My Regimen
Reaction score
okay hi , i really need any kind of help i’m at my wits end , i’m 14 and i have been losing hair for just over 6 months .this started back in may when i noticed more hair jus falling out when i brushed it or in the shower i immediately went to my primary Doctor who sent me to a dermatologist only about two weeks into the hair loss the dermatologist was sure it was telogen effluvium and said a steroid shot would stop it immediately, desperate to keep my hair i agreed and of course the shot did nothing , the loss only got worse i’ve been to countless dermatologists who have all diagnosed me with the same telogen effluvium and told me it could take up to six months to stop WELL HERE I AM MORE THAN SIX months and no signs of stopping or improving in the amount of hair , about three months ago i took a blood test desperate to find a cause such a thyroid problem (don’t have) and found out i had a ferritin level of 5 ! i was sure i had found my smoking gun bc i have read everywhere that low iron can cause this hair loss so i got my hematologist to give me an iron infusion which immediately brought my levels up to 80 in a week and i’ve been taking supplements of that (to maintain the level) and vitamin d ever since .. BUT YET IT JUST GETS WORSE i’m losing more than 400 a day on non wash days and normal for me was about en or twenty .. in six months i have lost more than half my hair and hair a big slick thin area in the front of head and it’s tearing my self esteem apart i am too young to go through this please someone help how can i stop this what can i be missing

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
okay hi , i really need any kind of help i’m at my wits end , i’m 14 and i have been losing hair for just over 6 months .this started back in may when i noticed more hair jus falling out when i brushed it or in the shower i immediately went to my primary Doctor who sent me to a dermatologist only about two weeks into the hair loss the dermatologist was sure it was telogen effluvium and said a steroid shot would stop it immediately, desperate to keep my hair i agreed and of course the shot did nothing , the loss only got worse i’ve been to countless dermatologists who have all diagnosed me with the same telogen effluvium and told me it could take up to six months to stop WELL HERE I AM MORE THAN SIX months and no signs of stopping or improving in the amount of hair , about three months ago i took a blood test desperate to find a cause such a thyroid problem (don’t have) and found out i had a ferritin level of 5 ! i was sure i had found my smoking gun bc i have read everywhere that low iron can cause this hair loss so i got my hematologist to give me an iron infusion which immediately brought my levels up to 80 in a week and i’ve been taking supplements of that (to maintain the level) and vitamin d ever since .. BUT YET IT JUST GETS WORSE i’m losing more than 400 a day on non wash days and normal for me was about en or twenty .. in six months i have lost more than half my hair and hair a big slick thin area in the front of head and it’s tearing my self esteem apart i am too young to go through this please someone help how can i stop this what can i be missing

Post photos

whitepeaches88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with acute telogen effluvium in February and has since then resolved as of now. One of the best things to do is to stay positive in this matter because telogen efflluvium is stress-induced. I went through the work up to rule out all the possible diseases associated with the condition, but a cause could not be found aside from slightly above average levels of cortisol (which is normal for my field of study). Even though we did not find the exact trigger for my case, being around positive friends and family members helped me get through this tough time. I was in school and this happened to me during my midterms. Also, its important to take care of your body by eating regular healthy meals, exercise, and meditating. I also took hair,skin, and nail vitamins in addition to my daily multivitamins. By the time I saw my derm again after my 6 month mark, I had almost a full head a hair. I know its tough right now, but do your best to take care of your overall well being.

LolaC

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. It is a nightmare. When my hair first started falling out I couldn't think of anything else. I couldn't sleep. I woke up every morning and cried. I couldn't stop touching my hair to see how many hairs would fall out when I did. I refused to shower because I was so scared of extra hair coming out. I counted the hairs obsessively. Since I started with very thick hair, it wasn't a noticeable difference to other people (it still isn't, after 3 months) and that somehow made it worse, because people didn't believe me. I panicked because I believed that if it was stress that caused it I was never going to be able to get rid of that stress and I would be trapped in an endless cycle. I have less hair fall now, but I'm still scared. I wish I could help you in a big way, but all I can do is tell you that my heart goes out to you. It's hard enough to just be 14, let alone going through this! You are brave and strong to go through this stress every day. You are not alone. Better days are ahead.