Please help me! frusturated, scared, 17 year old

G

Ok i just need some advice. Please post with imput it would be greatly appreciated. Here is my situation:

I am almost 17 years old and I have noticed that my hairline at the temples or (horseshoe) has been driven back and more of my scalp is visible. I have a receding hairline. I have very thin hair also. Then I looked at pictures of myself when i was a little younger and I confirmed i was definitly loosing some hair. I think right now my hairloss is at a standstill. Genetics is not on my side, everyone on my father and mothers side are bald. My cousin on moms side was bald at 19.
My good news is that my hair is not really bad right now but its in its early stages of hair loss. If i comb my hair a certain way it still looks good but i have limited hairstyles i can have. If i comb my hair back or grow my hair long its obvous that im having hair loss problems but its not to drastic.

Im not worrying to much about it now but I want to do something about it while i still can. I would just like to hault it and keep the hair I have. If i can do this i will be fine. Hopefully maybe I can even grow the hair back at my temples. I am willing to do whatever it takes to not have my situation progress.

What should I do? Any shampoos or DHT inhibitors do they really work? I am going to make a consultation through Hair Club For Men to be on the safe side. Please post any advice!

Also what do you think of this guy? http://www.hairlosstalk.com/photogallery/pgantonio.htm He described his situation exactly like mine and was able to fix it but im kinda skeptical. Is there any hope for me?

Harry

Reaction score
I think due to your age you should definitely not take propecia. I suggest topical spironolactone and azelic acid from Dr. Lee, along with 5% minoxidil, and Nizoral.

KRAMER

Reaction score
Hey Bro..I feel your pain. I noticed my hairloss at an early age as well. I got a prescription for Rogaine when I was 18. You needed a prescription back then. I never got it filled and I have kicked myself ever since. I know that I could have saved the hair that I have lost over the years.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do not go to Hair Club For Men. They will try to sell you an overpriced hairpiece, and dismiss other treatments. There was a good thread on peoples experience with HCFM but its not coming up in a search.

Internal DHT inhibitors work but youre too young. You may consider using spironolactone to fight DHT topically, but even that plays with your hormones a bit, which you really shouldnt mess with untill youre fully developed. Min, nizoral, and maybe spironolactone.

G

Harry said:
I think due to your age you should definitely not take propecia. I suggest topical spironolactone and azelic acid from Dr. Lee, along with 5% minoxidil, and Nizoral.

Ditto on this. You could even start on some propecia. Perhaps .5MG -per day to start.

Good luck.

desar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Bruce Lee,
I respect your knowledge on hairloss and how you recommend the Big Three as a starting to point to people losing their hair. However, how can you possibly recommend propecia to someone who hasn't even graduated highschool or completed puberty yet. Even .5 mg can have a serious affect on the hormones of a person who is not done developing yet. Perhaps you knwo somethign about propecia that I dont, but it seems risky for someone so young to start it even at a low dose.
Peace,
Desar

drinkrum

Reaction score
Most males finish fully developing their genitalia by 15-16. So, I think taking a little finasteride. at age 17 won't hurt. There is no research to support this or otherwise b/c trials were done at age 18. In fact, I started finasteride. at age 18.

But, he can try 0.5 mg and if he realizes a dramatic change in libido, he can kill the finasteride. and his body should return to normal.

Correct me if I'm wrong. This is a learning process for all of us.

D.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
i understand what you're going through, im 19 and went through the same thing a few months ago, my suggestion is start taking propecia and if you can deal with minoxidil, that's great as well. propecia has helped me a lot and i've had 0 negative sexual side effects.

G

desar said:
Hey Bruce Lee,
I respect your knowledge on hairloss and how you recommend the Big Three as a starting to point to people losing their hair. However, how can you possibly recommend propecia to someone who hasn't even graduated highschool or completed puberty yet. Even .5 mg can have a serious affect on the hormones of a person who is not done developing yet. Perhaps you knwo somethign about propecia that I dont, but it seems risky for someone so young to start it even at a low dose.
Peace,
Desar

Actually I have seen no science on this for or against. Some MDs do, some don't. I would do it personnally at this dosage and certainly monitor the side effects, as with all meds. Of course, this alters the hormone profile or it would not work on male pattern baldness. But whether it adversely impacts him is to be seen.

But it is up to him.

Theguy

Reaction score
Seems to be that you're in the same position I'm in, only a year older. Anyway my doctor said not to start Propecia for the same reason many users say not to, your still too young. I'm on Minoxidil 5% only. It's not really working to slow the hair growth yet, but it has improved my hair condition. Keep in mind i've only been actively using it for about a month. I've heard good things about Nizoral, and I plan on adding that as soon as I can get to the drug store.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
saying propecia is bad for anyone who isn't born yet is quite incorrect, merck doesnt even label it as a danger, whoever started this rumor should probably show some proof

minoxidil is really better for regrowing lost hair rather than retaining or thickening.

bombscience

Reaction score
Harry said:

^^^ My advice as well.