permanent side effects

DragonLord

Reaction score
hi guys
does propecia have any lifelong/permanent side effects even after quitting it?
also,if its stopped,does the hairfall return to its normal pace or is it accelerated?
coz i'm suffering from slow male pattern baldness...so i wanna know
thanks

jeffsss

Reaction score
dragonlord2003 said:
hi guys
also,if its stopped,does the hairfall return to its normal pace or is it accelerated?
thanks

the likely hood of you getting a side effect accoring to merck (maker of propeica) is less than 2%

i got the following sides:
watery jizzem (still have it)
limp penis (only was inactive for about a week)
beginings of gyno, puffy nipples, small lumps ( i bought tamoxifen 'anti-estrogen' to attack this problem)

if you get gyno, it's lifelong. everything else will go back to normal if you get off it.

according to merck, if you use propecia then stop using it. the hair you kept will all go away within a year.

DragonLord

Reaction score
according to merck, if you use propecia then stop using it. the hair you kept will all go away within a year

you mean allll the hair??what do u mean by the hair i kept?is it gonna be some kind of accelerated hair loss if i quit finasteride?or am i just gonna lose what propecia helped me save all along...and i'm gonna be what i would really be without propecia?
damn thats scary
could someone elaborate?

Freestyle

Established Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. Side effects are rare, despite the horror stories some people post here.

Here's how it works in an alternate reality scenario:

In this reality, you notice hair loss (let's say you're NW2 now) and you get on Propecia. Within 3-6 months, your hair loss has halted at maybe NW2.5. By the 24 month mark, maybe you've regrown a little to bring you back to NW2.

In the alternate reality, you don't do anything about hair loss. You just let it continue. By the 24 month mark, you're at NW4 (just a wild scenario).

Back in this reality, you decide to get off Propecia for some reason at the 24 month mark. Within 12 months, you have a good chance of being a NW4 -- the hair loss state you would have had if you had not started Propecia.

Some people stop Propecia and have their hair loss only progress very slowly.

But the rule of thumb is: whatever was destined to be lost will be lost in a period of time if you stop treatments.

DragonLord

Reaction score
hey freestyle and jeffsss!thanks a lot :D
i feel much a better now
its great in this forum...all that support..its so much unlike the real world we live in..where people don't care
cheers :)
lets hope for the best

hulltras

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
dragonlord2003 said:
hi guys
thanks

the likely hood of you getting a side effect accoring to merck (maker of propeica) is less than 2%

i got the following sides:
watery jizzem (still have it)
limp penis (only was inactive for about a week)
beginings of gyno, puffy nipples, small lumps ( i bought tamoxifen 'anti-estrogen' to attack this problem)

if you get gyno, it's lifelong. everything else will go back to normal if you get off it.

according to merck, if you use propecia then stop using it. the hair you kept will all go away within a year.

jeff, could you explain the puffy nipples, small lumps situation to me plase so i know exactly what to look for. thank you

eek

Reaction score
everything else will NOT go away if you stop taking it. There have been reports of permanent impotence, erectile dysfunction and such, that are very real. I myself stopped taking propecia after 6 months, and my erectile problems sure are still here. I'm going to get flamed for this post, and frankly, i don't care. I think people have a right to know that finasteride is a much more dangerous drug than the people on this forum seem to think. You don't have any sides? GREAT! but don't discredit people who do have them, especially permanent ones.

Kevin1977

Reaction score
DragonLord said:
hi guys
thanks
It apperantly can cause cancer, some docs say not to take it at all.

try2beme22

Established Member
Reaction score
i stopped it last week... the jizz isn't watery anymore but my erections are as hard as they were a year ago... is a week too soon for side effects to dissapate???? does it take closer to a month to go back to normal??

try2beme22

Established Member
Reaction score
there are always a few doctors that say anything causes cancer.......... can someone answer my question on how long it takes for side effects to leave after taking meds for a year

lithebod

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the cancer thing you refer to came from a study of patients over 7 years taking 5mg proscar. Basically it showed that the group taking proscar had a 24.8% relative risk reduction in prostate cancer over 7 years however 6.4% of finasteride group developed higher grade tumors compared to 5.1% in the placebo group. Suggesting that finasteride may cause more aggresive forms of prostate cancer.

Brandon Mthson

Established Member
Reaction score
The opinion of the medical community is that finasteride has no significant side effects for most users i.e. the potential benefits are more important than the potential risks for someone considering beginning the treatment. That being said, if you want to err on the side of safety, take a reduced dosage (25%, 50%, 75%), as reduced dosages still have been shown to have good outcomes (as far as I remember).

If you haven't started the treatment yet, some users here have recommended starting with reduced dosages and letting your body adjust.. and also you'd be able see if you're experiencing any side effects.