Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Abstract:
Peppermint (Mentha piperita) is a plant native to Europe and has been widely used as a carminative and gastric stimulant worldwide. This plant also has been used in cosmetic formulations as a fragrance component and skin conditioning agent. This study investigated the effect of peppermint oil on hair growth in C57BL/6 mice. The animals were randomized into 4 groups based on different topical applications: saline (SA), jojoba oil (JO), 3% minoxidil (MXD), and 3% peppermint oil (PEO). The hair growth effects of the 4-week topical applications were evaluated in terms of hair growth, histological analysis, enzymatic activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), and gene expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), known bio-markers for the enhanced hair growth. Of the 4 experimental groups, PEO group showed the most prominent hair growth effects; a significant increase in dermal thickness, follicle number, and follicle depth. ALP activity and IGF-1 expression also significantly increased in PEO group. Body weight gain and food efficiency were not significantly different between groups. These results suggest that PEO induces a rapid anagen stage and could be used for a practical agent for hair growth without change of body weight gain and food efficiency.

Full text here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
mints.jpg

I will give this a shot.

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know it's mice, but I found the histological analysis more interesting than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it promotes hair growth, it is estrogenic, anything estrogenic would do that!

Until you start to experience the same sides than if you would be on finasteride.

There is no easy solution for male pattern baldness.

Seeing that this is referring to topical application, are you referring to topical finasteride?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Seems pretty clear cut to me; become mice or become a woman.

Joe1191

Established Member
Reaction score
I know a few anti hairloss products that contain peppermint oil. It's generally good for your hair's health too!