Im tired of people asking me why Im loosing my hair
Im tired of JUST thinking about my hair
Im tired of envying other peoples hair styles
Im tired of shaving my head
Im tired of people telling me to do something about my hair
Im tired of looking none stop everywhere for a better medication
Im tired of of the doctor
Im tired of ME and this site

Im 20 and I started loosing my hair at 18. I have tried everything only to see no results. I have wasted SO much money. Im mentally exhasted and want to finally be rid of the thought of being bald. But wait, Im gonna be bald in a couple of years. So I cant stop thinking about it. IM TOO YOUNG for this. why not start 25,27,30? WHY 18? I dont think like a regular 20 year old cause of my hair and its slowly killing me. I allways had a strong mind set, but even that is being taken away from me becuase of hairloss. Im sick and tired of staring in the mirror more the 5 minutes. I shave my head. I HATED HATS ALL MY LIFE and now I wear it all the time. I wanna just shove the electric shaver into my head. This is sad man, im not me.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I am not trying to decrement the frustration of loss at an early age.

But it's always too early to lose hair. Lose the hat instead, buzz it to avoid obsessing about it and continue treatments.

What treatments have you tried up to now with no results? Just curious.

pehlavoon

Reaction score
i've been using rogaine 2%. I recently purchased 5% and some shampoos. I also got saw palmetto, which I think I got suckered into. Hair Genesis. !ssholes. I asked the doctor about propecia but he told me all these side affects and it scared the hell outa me. Should I start with propecia? I dont want to loose libido at my age. plus have all these other side affects. i appreciate your advice. thank you.

SE-freak

Reaction score
First of all, I am not preaching finasteride, if you get the feeling that I do, ignore my comments completely.

You should be sceptical about starting on any drug. This is and should be your personal choice.But before you make this choice you must have fully understood what the risks and benefits are or this is not a real choice.

Here is a common logical mistake people do when thinking about treatments: Natural equals harmless. If saw palmetto did something for baldness, then it should treat the same underlying cause(degeneration of the follicles due to dht) as propecia, having the same probability for sides.So natural does not equal harmless- this is a marketting trick.

I firmly believe that propecia is your best bet. Dish the saw palmetto, was never proven to work orally and you have no time to lose. The side effect occurrence, according to clinical trials is extremely low. This means that you are highly unlikely to experience serious sides that do not go away after a period of time of use. The vast majority of people on propecia have absolutely no issues. A hairloss forum, as I am sure you understand, is not the ideal place to extract conclusions regarding side-effect probability.

While you should not extract conclusions based on one or two men's testimonies, just to comfort you, I do not have any issues at all with finasteride. A huge number of bph patients have been receiving 5 times the recommended for hairloss dose of finasteride for over 20 years now and there have been no safety issues at all.

Do your own research. Spend some time studying clinical trials.

If you, for any reason, decide not to use an oral inhibitor, you should go to the very next most proven alternative. There are options. May be difficult to detect at first due to the sea of scam and snake oil, but there are.

The use of an inhibitor will help you maintain your new growth due to minoxidil. If you respond exceptionally well, it might give you a little growth by itself too.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with Mr Freak.

If your hairloss is progressing fast, then 1 m.gram of finasteride. a day is definately the way to go.

It should pretty much stop your hairloss in its tracks.

Doctors are like motor mechanics, they know a bit about everything, but not much about specific areas. You have a problem with your skin/head so go and see a Dermatologist.

Rogaine may help a bit, but don't rely on it too much if your losing hair fast.

Check the MAIN page of this site (http://www.hairlosstalk.com)
and look through the info that has been compiled about proven and unproven treatments. Its very unbiased and educating - exactly what you need so you don't waste any more time on crap treatments.

Best of luck mate, and once you get on a treatment that gives you results - you will have hope again.

Cheers.
HH

pehlavoon

Reaction score
so propecia is my best bet ? ok. ill give it a try. Im gonna go to the doctor tomorow and see what he has to say also. I gues I'll update what it has done for me as time goes by in this forum. Thank you for your advice.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
pehlavoon:

I'm 21, started losing at 19. I've always had a high hairline with a natural recession pattern, but then it started coming out in the 100's. I thought nothing of it until I looked in the mirror one day and thought, what in the hell is happening.

At the time I was going through some rough days so I just attributed it to school and the like, but that was just me hoping and wishing it was something else. I immediately started using Nioxin Shampoo & Conditioner. I cannot attest that they helped, cause I could have been experiencing my first shed, but it made me think better about it. But, it also started my obsession.

I wear a hat 90% of the time. I've always had a long hair style so hair loss has been an extreme issue for me. Whenever I see a guy, I look at their hair before I look at anything about them, examining it and realizng that no one else my age seems to have it as bad as me.

I've been so close to doing everything, but have never done it. I started by changing what I knew I could handle, my health. I cut soda out of my diet and started supplementing whole food supplements to balance out my body. I also switched to Revivogen Shampoo & Conditioner, which I think is better, although the Nioxin makes your scalp feel really neat. I also supplement Saw Palmetto, regardless of whether it works or not. I'm also supplementing 3g of MSM a day.

Has any of this helped? I don't think it has hurt. I'm noticing vellus hairs where I was once slick, although my diffuse thinning is seeming to take over the top of my head, but at the same time I'm not sure that it is. I too am extremely sick and tired of trying to track my hairloss/gains. After every haircut I'm always sure that it's better, but I think that's just me trying to fool myself.

I have been so close to getting Finasteride, but won't because I am extremely active in weight lifting and have had a friend on it who experienced an extreme change in his thinking and lifestyle while on it. I don't want to be on it for the rest of my life.

I have been so close to using Minoxidil, but won't because I don't want to use it for the rest of my life and I don't want my follicles to become dependant on it for growth. I don't want to miss a month and have all my progress vanish.

I have been so close to getting a Hair Transplant, but I know I shouldn't because I could possibly lose the hair behind it.

I have bene so close to getting Nizoral or T-Gel, but won't because I don't have an itchy or inflammed scalp, and I don't want it to dry it out. Although I know I probably should, and I think I will get on it soon.

So basically I have gone the non-medicinal route and have experienced some regrowth. My hair is definitely in better shape than it was a year ago. I had a tuft of hair in the front, now it actually resembles hair again.

When I do style my hair I use American Crew Thickening Lotion, it's great stuff, but I have light brown hair so it doesn't minimize the scalp showing through as much as I'd like.

What I'm getting at is I totally understand where you're at, and I'm scared of everything too. Keep me updated.

jeffsss

Reaction score
dude, i'm right there with ya.

I hate everything about hairloss.. i hate seeing hair in the sink, shower, shirt..

i hate looking in the mirror, i hate looking at old pics....

I hate every money sucking blood thirsty a**h** taking advantage of people by making them think that their product will cure/help male pattern baldness..

Britannia

Reaction score
Hi pehlavoon Im pretty much in the same position as you (Im 21) so I know how much hair loss hurts at such a young age. Firstly Dr's generally couldnt give a f*** about hair loss. Mine simply said "Accept it". He wouldnt prescribe me Propecia so I went online to get some.
Basically you have now have two choices: Start treatments or accept your hair loss. I can assume you want treatments; thats why you here! The most effective possible treatment for male pattern baldness is known as "The Big 3". This consists of three treatments proven to help male pattern baldness and they are:
1)Propecia (or other 1mg Finasteride treatments) which is a tablet you take once a day. Side effects are very rare and are usually temporary.
2)Minoxidil (5% is better than 2%). Your already using this so thats good.
3)Nizoral. This is a shampoo found in most high street pharmacies which you should use 2 -3 times a week.

Using the above treatments is by far the best chance youve got at maintaining and regrowing hair. You can have a look around this forum to find out specific information on those 3 treatments.

By the way: Oral Saw Palmetto = Scam

tu pac

Reaction score
man Im 22 now it started at 21 mine started at the vertex, like little flap of hair over the corner cowlic. when it first became noticeable,I did notin it became diffuse nw7 like a month or 2 later. a year went by and I didnt notice that much change then BAM! in the last month I notice a big changes major loss in hair line and and all over execpt the back of course,do something now if it bothers you this much wait tell it gets bad, then you will be mad you didnt do something right away,trust me the sooner the better.

pehlavoon

Reaction score
propecia

First and for most, hair loss is something so devistating to a young person that it changes their attitude AND EVERYTHING about them. A young person does not deserve it but hey! what are you going to do right? were cursed, gotta deal with it.

ok propecia is something I dont know about, a pill forever ? should I ? shouldnt I ? All the side effects, think about it guys well take it.. lets say 8 years ... ill be 28 by then and it might decide to show its true face. My doctor told me propecia has A LOT of side effects. Its good for your prostate, but some people got prostate cancer while on it and it was EXTREME. But at the same time rogaine is all I got.

I know, hair loss is pretty bad. For the first time my friend noticed it last week and it killed me. He made a joke and I started sweating and froze on the spot confused. He told me "hey man get some help from the Doctor." He thinks I havnt done anything, little he knows how much time I wasted, how much money I spent. Im just sick a this sh*t.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: propecia

pehlavoon said:
First and for most, hair loss is something so devistating to a young person that it changes their attitude AND EVERYTHING about them. A young person does not deserve it but hey! what are you going to do right? were cursed, gotta deal with it.

ok propecia is something I dont know about, a pill forever ? should I ? shouldnt I ? All the side effects, think about it guys well take it.. lets say 8 years ... ill be 28 by then and it might decide to show its true face. My doctor told me propecia has A LOT of side effects. Its good for your prostate, but some people got prostate cancer while on it and it was EXTREME. But at the same time rogaine is all I got.

I know, hair loss is pretty bad. For the first time my friend noticed it last week and it killed me. He made a joke and I started sweating and froze on the spot confused. He told me "hey man get some help from the Doctor." He thinks I havnt done anything, little he knows how much time I wasted, how much money I spent. Im just sick a this sh*t.

I feel you dude. I really don't know what to tell you either cause I'm every bit as confused as you.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I'm 20, myself. And I'm very rapidly thinning my hair -- scalp showing. I've been losing since 19. I can relate to you on many levels. This is the way that I perceive things: Yes, I'm sick of all this sh*t, too. But because it bothers me so much, I'm willing to seek all the treatments available. That even includes finasteride, and YES, I have lost some libido but that goes away during the duration of treatment.

Hair loss is an obsessive compulsive thing for me, as I'm sure it is for you. Do yourself a favor and get on all the treatments you can, as long as you can financially support it. The chances are very high that you'll get results. That should take your mind of some things, man.

I'm not trying to lecture you, but I just want to tell you that as a peer and as someone who has been through the same thing. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free.

Andy

Anne-Marie

Reaction score
First and for most, hair loss is something so devistating to a young person that it changes their attitude AND EVERYTHING about them. A young person does not deserve it but hey! what are you going to do right? were cursed, gotta deal with it....

Oh Pehlavoon, and all the other guys on this forum you are SO beautiful! I mean it. You are so immensely beautiful that words cannot describe your beauty; when you lose hair you are not losing beauty; you are still so beautiful, take it from a woman. Bald is Beautiful! I know that you all talk about "treatments" but you know what the BEST treatment is? It's doing nothing about it! Really! Just lovin' yourself! Bald or not Bald! You are SOOOO immensely beautiful whether you have hair or not. And Hair loss is the least devastating thing on this planet...do you have a close friend who will die in a matter of months? I do; Do you live in abject poverty in a third world country? Many of my aunts and cousins do. Do you have all your limbs? Do you have eyes, ears, a nose, a family? Count your blessings all you beautiful people. And accept baldness as another sign of your tremendous beauty! Love you!
-Anne-Marie

Britannia

Reaction score
Re: propecia

pehlavoon said:
My doctor told me propecia has A LOT of side effects.

What an arrogant insensitive prick. How the hell did people like this get through med school. Propecia has been approved by the FDA which reported side effects at 2% and those who did get side effects only had them temporarily. Change your doctor mate.