Pain in calves from running on the treadmill

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I started running on the treadmill about 2 months ago as part of my fitness program. I was really unfit when I started out, but I have managed to build up my fitness so that I can run for 20 minutes on 11 km/h, every second day.

After the first couple of weeks I started to get some sharp pain in my left and right calve muscles, and around my shins. It was sore but bearable enough to make it through the 20 minute run. Now after two minutes on the treadmill I feel the pain in my calve muscles and just cannot go on running. But on the other cardio aspects of my program, I can use the cross trainer for 20 minutes without feeling this pain, and cycle for 10 minutes and not feel the pain either. It only seems to happen when I run on the treadmill. If I run on the treadmill I will have some slight pain in my calve muscles in day to day life outside the gym, like walking or making a quick sprint to catch the bus.

Does anyone have an idea what may be causing the pain in my calves when using the treadmill? I'm a tall guy, well over 6ft, could I be too tall for the treadmill? When running I wear comfortable sneakers but long shorts, about 2 inches below my knee. When I hit the gym, I stretch then start straight on the treadmill at 11km/h.

Thanks guys

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You need to take some time off. You overtrained your calves and you are also putting yourself at risk for shin splints. I have had them before and trust me, brother, you don't want them. Put it this way, it will be the sole priority for at least 2 or 3 weeks to be off of your legs.

Stop rushing and take some time off. You won't lose much ground.

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
hey googler, he's right, jumping headlong into a fitness regime is admirable, but can take a heavy toll on your unwitting body.

Jump on the stationary bike or one of those cross-trainer machines - they have a really low impact so should be cool. You could also try the rowing machine - concentrate on your upper body while you let your lower recover.

Keep up the good work man

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I did some googling and the symptons of shin splints sound excatly like what I'm experiencing when I use the treadmill. I'll lay off my legs for a while and see what happens.

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
guys, thanks for the advice.

i read up on shin splints and it seems like it was the root of my pain. i've cut back on the gym a slight bit, instead of going 5 times a week, i've cut it back to every second day.

i haven't used the treadmill in nearly two weeks, just the cross trainer and bike with weights. my calves have some slight pain which seems to be disappearing each day. i'm going to give it another week or so before i start running on the treadmill again.

can anyone advise how i should start using the treadmill again without the same problem with my calves happening after a few weeks?

is it possible to be too tall for the treadmill? i'm 6'6. i look at myself running on the treadmill in the mirror, at relatively low speeds (9 - 10km/h) and my legs look awkward on the machine, its only when i run at quite a high speed (12 - 13m/h) that my legs look right, but i'm not fit enough to run for too long at the higher speed. sorry if thats sounds confusing.

thanks

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey man,

I personally don't like the treadmill, its too high impact (running is very damaging to your knees, shins (as you've experienced) ankles etc) and for some reason it makes muscles around my hips grow so I've got a really sexy hourglass shape....well maybe not, but i want as small a waist as possible for that cool low slung jeans look.

Annnyways, what I'm getting at is that you don't need to use the treadmill to get a good workout. Use the bikes, cross-trainers, rowing machines etc for cardio, and pump some light weights (if weight loss is your primary goal) as this will help keep your body ticking over after your workout as your muscles are recovering. Do some boxing, swimming, sexing (!!). Just be generally active and hyperactive - it will all help.

The most unproductive way to think is that "this is who I am so everyone including myself can either take it or leave it"!! I say why be someone you're not happy with? Be the person you want to be!

All right now, come on in here for a group hug...!