Paging all Muscle Men

Redbone

Reaction score
ErgoPharm has a new product that is supposed to kick some serious DHT and Estrogen ***- for real no bullshit. I don't however know if it can help with male pattern baldness but I am working on a theory- which has to do with a weightlifters over production of DHT and the sides wich include Gyno, zits, aggresiveness and hairloss. They parallel with what us thinning guys deal with naturaly.

I am wondering if there is any corelation between and anti aromatase product and the reduciton of DHT. Afterall dont Propecia and Avodart have the same action- They both block DHT production as does the above mentioned product.

Stay tuned this could be interesting.....

xXx

Established Member
Reaction score
Recent biological testing by Ducrey and Hartmann proved that the tannins Oenothein A and Oenothein B are extremely potent inhibitors of 5-a-reductase ( which metabolises testosterone into dihydrotestosterone ) and aromatase ( which converts testosterone into 17-B-estradiol ).In the case of Aromatase Oenothein A showed an inhibition of 70 % at 50 uM during in vitro testing. Against 5-a-reductase Oenothein A had a 50 % reduction at only 1.24 uM and Oenothein B a 50 % reduction at 0.44 uM. Finasteride shows the same result at 5 nM. This leads to the conclusion that Oenothein B is a potent 5-a-reductase inhibitor but not as strong as Finasteride. These results were later confirmed by another study.

But why is the Aromatase inhibiting function of Oenothein B so important ? The inhibition of DHT increases the conversion of Testosterone into Estrogen with the help of Aromatase. .A decrease in DHT allows free testosterone to be converted to Estrogen because the DHT has been shut off. A 90 % block of DHT increases the free Testosterone by up to 30 %. Estrogen in men itself inhibits the production of gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH), luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH). As estrogen increases and testosterone decreases many men become prone to gynocomastia, increased body fat and body hair and much lower sex drive. The only way to avoid this is taking a aromatase inhibiter. Oenothein B does provide you with the best of both worlds. A very effective 5-AR and Aromatase inhibition in one product without any side effects

Some people have asked if Aromatase can and should be inhibited with a topical lotion ? Yes - it can and it should ! A brand new study from the Tokyo Conference 2001 revealed that aromatase positive cells are localized in outer root sheath tissue. The researchers applied a topical aromatase inhibitor ( Aminoglutethimide ) and discovered that " the topical application of 1% aminoglutethimide significantly promotes the hair re-growth." And the re-grown hair was darker than before caused by the increase of melanin contents (total melanin and eu-melanin). So there is no doubt that locally inhibiting Aromatase could promote hair re-growth

Redbone

Reaction score
6-OXO contains a naturally occurring aromatase inhibitor that is devoid of any direct hormonal or prohormonal activity (androgenic or estrogenic). It is what science refers to as a "suicide inhibitor" of aromatase. Specifically this means that it will irreversibly bind to the aromatase enzyme and permanently deactivate it. With prolonged use of 6-OXO the result will be a very substantial reduction in the production of estrogen in the body, along with a coinciding up-regulation of natural (testicular) testosterone production.

What:
6-OXO contains a natural compound that combats estrogen formation. This is the first proven aromatase inhibitor, not some ineffective herb like chrysin or indole-3-carbinol that never delivered results.

Why:
Estrogen contributes to a host of unwanted side effects: water retention, gyno (b**ch tits), testicular shutdown, and an overall smooth, soft look. So, to achieve and maintain a hard, muscular look, estrogen levels must be kept in check. Furthermore, by blocking estrogen biosynthesis, 6-OXO stimulates the pituitary gland to increase LH and thereby increasing natural testosterone production.

Who:
Any athlete interested in achieving a hard, lean physique. For those individuals who are coming off a prohormone/pro-steroid cycle, 6-OXO is the perfect product to restore balance to the hormonal environment.

When:
6-OXO is an excellent product to use between cycles. Its unique structure works to combat estrogen formation while simultaneously increasing your own natural testicular testosterone production. Also, for those that have been predictably disappointed in the hype promised by Tribulus and other non-hormonal testosterone boosters, 6-OXO will deliver those elusive results.

6-OXO-the estrogen management tool that delivers on the promises.

Hairybush1

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah, thats what I wanna do. I cant wait to permanatly shut down my production of estrogen to a trickle and then deal with the aftermath of such a choice.

All those who, what and where answers pretain to athletes who are willing to risk death in their obsession to beat their opponent in competition. I would never go to the lengths of drug use, food consumption and intensity in the gym that these guys endure because I am not a professional athlete. i think its better to find answers to hair loss and bodybuilding that are not that extreme.

I think the use of plain ol Arimidex and Nolvadex and HCG are good enough for after cycle therapy and from what I understand they wont "permanatly" effect the process of aromatization. Just my 2 cents.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
xXx said:
Recent biological testing by Ducrey and Hartmann proved that the tannins Oenothein A and Oenothein B are extremely potent inhibitors of 5-a-reductase ( which metabolises testosterone into dihydrotestosterone ) and aromatase ( which converts testosterone into 17-B-estradiol ).In the case of Aromatase Oenothein A showed an inhibition of 70 % at 50 uM during in vitro testing. Against 5-a-reductase Oenothein A had a 50 % reduction at only 1.24 uM and Oenothein B a 50 % reduction at 0.44 uM. Finasteride shows the same result at 5 nM. This leads to the conclusion that Oenothein B is a potent 5-a-reductase inhibitor but not as strong as Finasteride. These results were later confirmed by another study.

First, I acknowledge that I'm ignoring the unwritten statute of limitations for posting followups to threads. Although, it hasn't even been two years yet....

I wasn't familiar with the authors you mentioned, so I just searched PubMed. You must be referring to these:

Ducrey, B., A. Marston, et al. (1997). "Inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase and aromatase by the ellagitannins oenothein A and oenothein B from Epilobium species." Planta Medica 63(2): 111-4.

Hartmann, R. W. and M. Reichert (2000). "New nonsteroidal steroid 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors. Syntheses and structure-activity studies on carboxamide phenylalkyl-substituted pyridones and piperidones." Archiv der Pharmazie 333(5): 145-53.

Hartmann, R. W., M. Hector, et al. (2000). "Synthesis and evaluation of novel steroidal oxime inhibitors of P450 17 (17 alpha-hydroxylase/C17-20-lyase) and 5 alpha-reductase types 1 and 2." Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 43(22): 4266-77.

Lesuisse, D., J. Berjonneau, et al. (1996). "Determination of oenothein B as the active 5-alpha-reductase-inhibiting principle of the folk medicine Epilobium parviflorum." Journal of Natural Products 59(5): 490-2.
--------

And some less related (to the studies that you were referring to) citations... All of these (inclusive of the above) came from filtering PubMed's list of "related" results to the first citation listed above.

I haven't weeded through these to see which, if any, are likely to be of much interest to us. I did, however, weed out the ones that were clearly irrelevant. I'm listing these because a couple of the abstracts looked interesting from a quick glance. In particular, there was reference to the 5 alpha-reductase inhibitory effects of some polyunsaturated fatty acids that I don't recall offhand having seen before.

---------

Drsata, J. (2002). "[Enzyme inhibition in the drug therapy of benign prostatic hyperplasia]." Casopis Lekaru Ceskych 141(20): 630-5.

Jonas, A., G. Rosenblat, et al. (1998). "Cactus flower extracts may prove beneficial in benign prostatic hyperplasia due to inhibition of 5alpha reductase activity, aromatase activity and lipid peroxidation." Urological Research 26(4): 265-70.

Kuroyanagi, M., T. Seki, et al. (2001). "Anti-androgenic triterpenoids from the Brazilian medicinal plant, Cordia multispicata." Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 49(8): 954-7.

Liu, W. K., S. X. Xu, et al. (2000). "Anti-proliferative effect of ginseng saponins on human prostate cancer cell line." Life Sciences 67(11): 1297-306.

Lo, S., A. Allera, et al. (2003). "Dithioerythritol (DTE) prevents inhibitory effects of triphenyltin (TPT) on the key enzymes of the human sex steroid hormone metabolism." Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 84(5): 569-76.

Matsuda, H., N. Sato, et al. (2001). "Testosterone 5alpha-reductase inhibitory active constituents from Anemarrhenae Rhizoma." Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 24(5): 586-7.

Matsuda, H., M. Yamazaki, et al. (2001). "Anti-androgenic activity of Myricae Cortex--isolation of active constituents from bark of Myrica rubra." Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 24(3): 259-63.

Shimizu, K., R. Kondo, et al. (2000). "Steroid 5alpha-reductase inhibitory activity and hair regrowth effects of an extract from Boehmeria nipononivea." Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry 64(4): 875-7.

Shirota, O., V. Pathak, et al. (2003). "Phenolic constituents from Dalbergia cochinchinensis." Journal of Natural Products 66(8): 1128-31.

Vitalone, A., F. Bordi, et al. (2001). "Anti-proliferative effect on a prostatic epithelial cell line (PZ-HPV-7) by Epilobium angustifolium L." Farmaco 56(5-7): 483-9.

Weisser, H., T. Ziemssen, et al. (2002). "Phospholipase A2 degradation products modulate epithelial and stromal 5alpha-reductase activity of human benign prostatic hyperplasia in vitro." Prostate 50(1): 4-14.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here's a direct link to PubMed's abstracts of the citations listed above: Retrieve abstracts

Does anyone here speak Czech? :) It'd be interesting to see if they present any novel research on fatty acids (i.e., more than a reference to Liang and Laio's 8))

Cas Lek Cesk. 2002 Oct 11;141(20):630-5.

[Enzyme inhibition in the drug therapy of benign prostatic hyperplasia]

[Article in Czech]

Drsata J.

Farmaceuticka fakulta UK, Hradec Kralove. drsata@faf.cuni.cz

Enzyme inhibition belongs to common mechanisms of drug action and enzymes of hormone metabolism belong to targets in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Transformation of testosterone to 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone is catalyzed by cholestenone-5 alpha-reductase (EC 1.3.1.22, 5 alpha-reductase). Different effects of dihydrotestosterone and testosterone represent a rational basis for pharmacotherapy by 5 alpha-reductase inhibition. The enzyme is active in the prostate and other organs and tissues, with different distribution of at least two 5 alpha-reductase isoenzymes. Beside this, progesterone-5 alpha-reductase (EC 1.3.1.30) as another enzyme with 5 alpha-reductase activity is present in human tissues including the prostate. The existence of several 5 alpha-reductase activities gives bright possibilities of 5 alpha-reductase inhibition. Basic 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors are synthetic steroid (e.g. finasteride--Proscar). Various mechanisms of their effect (classical reversible competitive inhibition, mechanism-based "suicide" inhibitors, tightly bound irreversible inhibitors...) represent different pharmacokinetic patterns, too. Non-steroidal 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors (e.g. polyunsaturated fatty acids) are effective components of several phytopharmaceuticals. They receive attention due to their complexity and low hazards. Extracts of Serenoa repens seeds (Permixon, Capistan in the Czech Republic), of Pygeum africanum, of Urtica radicis roots (Urtica, Urtiron) or catequine structures from the green tea belong to this group. Beside androgens, participation of estrogens in the origin and development of benign prostatic hyperplasia is probable. Inhibition of the "aromatase" complex, which catalyzes transformation of androgens to estrogens, may contribute to the complexity of phytotherapeutic effects.

Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2000 Apr;64(4):875-7.

Steroid 5alpha-reductase inhibitory activity and hair regrowth effects of an extract from Boehmeria nipononivea.

Shimizu K, Kondo R, Sakai K, Shoyama Y, Sato H, Ueno T.

Department of Forest Products, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan.

The acetone extract of Boehmeria nipononivea showed both potent 5alpha-reductase inhibitory activity and hair regrowth promotion effects on mice. 5alpha-Reductase inhibitory activity-guided fractionation led to six active fatty acids: alpha-linolenic, linoleic, palmitic, elaidic, oleic and stearic acids. The extract of B. nipononivea, and alphalinolenic, elaidic and stearic acids exhibited a hair regrowth effect.

PMID: 10830511

Full text link to above