Interesting Read On A Top Sports Broadcasters Hair Loss Obsession!

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Hate it. He did it hair transplants out of vanity?! Tell that to a girl who looks through you because you're bald. But if you do something about it you're vain. I'm not vain motherfucker I'm sexually frustrated!

To me it's just a reminder to me of how many people struggle mentally with hair loss no matter their circumstance... I was watching an episode of blacklist last night, and a woman talked about how statistically most women don't care about men balding... I'm curious why comments like that are made, it's obvious why there's a market for for hairloss, and it's exactly why there's s market for boob jobs... I like that men applaud women for an augmentation, yet not only do women in a sense think less of a bald man, but somehow if they go in for a transplant, like you said @Vincent777 its vanity!

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good physical appearance is the sign of youthfulness, sexual attractiveness, good health both physically and mentally and sadly hair loss is more associated with aging and losing sexual prime than with genetics.

I know I did before I started losing it.

When I was 10-11, my grandmother said to my father during a dinner party: "I am so sorry that you, my own child, lost your hair so soon. Everyone knows hair is the first thing."

It was the 80s and my grandmother was about 70. So: no internet generation, no millenials, just the plain century - wise truth.

PS: so when people say hair loss doesn't matter I think of my poor old grandmother, who had no motive to lie about what a sh*t it is.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was 10-11, my grandmother said to my father during a dinner party: "I am so sorry that you, my own child, lost your hair so soon. Everyone knows hair is the first thing."

It was the 80s and my grandmother was about 70. So: no internet generation, no millenials, just the plain century - wise truth.

PS: so when people say hair loss doesn't matter I think of my poor old grandmother, who had no motive to lie about what a sh*t it is.

Society teaches us that "looks don't matter" and so we say this out loud because it makes us seem virtuous and uncritical. Problem is, as we all know, it goes against our primal, honest feelings about the subject.

Which is why I believe that in 10 - 20 years, when better treatments have come to pass and baldness will probably be a choice (if you have the money), these "sly guy" types will have their veil of delusions shattered and they'll learn what people really thought about their baldness all along.

What an interesting day that will be.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Society teaches us that "looks don't matter" and so we say this out loud because it makes us seem virtuous and uncritical. Problem is, as we all know, it goes against our primal, honest feelings about the subject.

Which is why I believe that in 10 - 20 years, when better treatments have come to pass and baldness will probably be a choice (if you have the money), these "sly guy" types will have their veil of delusions shattered and they'll learn what people really thought about their baldness all along.

What an interesting day that will be.

It would be very interesting to research how and why the "looks don't matter" mantra was born during the last decades (I bet in the 19th century this was not even a thing).

Also consider that the mantra is generally related to men, because if you tell it to a woman, she will rip your face off, and rightly so.

Maybe this slogan has something to do with chauvinism. Maybe the realization that looks do matter is equivalent to admitting women have a power of choice that a patriarchial society is not available to grant them.

Maybe "looks don't matter" is a catchphrase that conceils a very uncomfortable taboo. I will be honest: the first time a woman did tell me explicitly that she did not want to date me because she was not physically attracted to me (in Tuscany people are know to be very direct), it seemed to me like my world was being shattered beyond repair.

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
I still don't get how people compare a hair transplant to a breast augmentation.

What do Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman, Rihanna, Keira Knightley, Emma Watson, Cameron Diaz, Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez all have in common? They're all pretty much flat-chested in comparison to what the actual "beauty standards" are yet no sane and single man would ever kick any of them out of bed.

I bet there's much less of a consensus from women about the usual balding celeb bros that are Bruce Willis, Statham, Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson.

Let's get it right: only one of these two issues is a medical condition, the other one is just insecure people looking for a comfort cushion.

Trouse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I still don't get how people compare a hair transplant to a breast augmentation.

What do Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman, Rihanna, Keira Knightley, Emma Watson, Cameron Diaz, Taylor Swift and Selena Gomez all have in common? They're all pretty much flat-chested in comparison to what the actual "beauty standards" are yet no sane and single man would ever kick any of them out of bed.

I bet there's much less of a consensus from women about the usual balding celeb bros that are Bruce Willis, Statham, Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson.

Let's get it right: only one of these two issues is a medical condition, the other one is just insecure people looking for a comfort cushion.

And you missed the biggest point. We all used to have full heads of hair. We are just trying to get back to the baseline of what a normal healthy male looks like, not experience something (huge breasts) that few women are given in the first place.

Look, it's plainly obvious. Women are hypocrites when it comes to telling a man that it doesn't matter. Really? Let's apply the same logic in both directions. Stop getting your hair colored and cut every 8 weeks. Stop applying makeup before you go out. Stop exercising. Stop clothes shopping for new items that will enhance your appearance. Stop getting manicures and pedicures and tanning and waxing and every other thing a woman does to be more attractive and desirable. Everybody wants to feel at least decent about their appearance. This is different for everyone and it manifests in different ways. Some guys want to get shredded 6 packs, some guys don't care about lifting at all. Some are into fashion, some wear dad sneakers at 25. Hell, even some guys don't care about losing their hair. But not having the choice to do anything about it is what sucks so bad.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And you missed the biggest point. We all used to have full heads of hair. We are just trying to get back to the baseline of what a normal healthy male looks like, not experience something (huge breasts) that few women are given in the first place.

Look, it's plainly obvious. Women are hypocrites when it comes to telling a man that it doesn't matter. Really? Let's apply the same logic in both directions. Stop getting your hair colored and cut every 8 weeks. Stop applying makeup before you go out. Stop exercising. Stop clothes shopping for new items that will enhance your appearance. Stop getting manicures and pedicures and tanning and waxing and every other thing a woman does to be more attractive and desirable. Everybody wants to feel at least decent about their appearance. This is different for everyone and it manifests in different ways. Some guys want to get shredded 6 packs, some guys don't care about lifting at all. Some are into fashion, some wear dad sneakers at 25. Hell, even some guys don't care about losing their hair. But not having the choice to do anything about it is what sucks so bad.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Jeca Tatu

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder how a thread like this fit in the '' New Research, Studies, and Technologies'' session. I must be too ignorant to realize it, but it seems to me like another one of those infamous forum-polluting ''mistakes''.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder how a thread like this fit in the '' New Research, Studies, and Technologies'' session. I must be too ignorant to realize it, but it seems to me like another one of those infamous forum-polluting ''mistakes''.

This is the only part of the forum I visit, so my mistake... I really hope you can handle this "infamous forum polluting mistake" bro!

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score

A "medical condition" usually - but not always - implies a "before" state where the subject is healthy and an "after" state where said subject is unhealthy. That means that we used to have hair until we became "unhealthy". But thanks for furthering my point.

Jeca Tatu

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the only part of the forum I visit, so my mistake... I really hope you can handle this "infamous forum polluting mistake" bro!

I didn't mean to be rude, bro. It's just because this is the most prized session for many of us, I think the forum would be cleaner, faster and more organized if we keep following the internal division. Also, this is not my business. It's up to the @Admin and moderators. ;)

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
He had 10 transplants? Where did all the do or hair come from? Must have been 10 tiny hair transplants!

newhere1

Reaction score
we live in a society where we say things like "looks don't matter" in public but behind the scenes make fun at people who look a certain way or have certain flaws
and when those people try to do anything about it they are vain, selfish, insecure, etc, etc

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It would be very interesting to research how and why the "looks don't matter" mantra was born during the last decades (I bet in the 19th century this was not even a thing).

It's always been around in some form,

Take for example, the story of "The Ugly Duckling" (1843): It can essentially be boiled down to "Just because you don't line up with contemporary ideals doesn't mean you're not beautiful in a different way!"

In the 20th century, the "don't judge a book by its cover" (1944) mentality had full sway in academics and media. You had "Beauty & The Beast" shattering the box office, delivering this message.

Appearances have always lead to injustice befalling people who have more to offer. Our awareness of this fact doesn't prevent us from being accomplice to such injustices, though.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score

My girlfriend also acts like its no big deal. But i tell her its like her going out without makeup. It hits home a little but she still cant grasp it totally. She thinks a "new haircut" will make things better for me. Its just not that simple.