Oral minoxidil & Water Retention at a low dosage

BaldFalcon15

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I’m a 32 year old male who has diffuse thinning. I’ve been on finasteride for about 8 years now and there’s been no change so that’s good. Recently I learned oral min is a thing and I was able to get a prescription from my doctor in Toronto for 0.625 daily with the eventual plan to move up to 1.25/2.5 daily.

I took the pills for about a week and maybe it was anxiety but I immediately began to feel bloated and my weight shot up 5 lbs from Monday to Wednesday with no change to my relatively healthy life style.

my question is, is it all in my head? Can it actually cause bloating / water retention that quickly? Is there a work around?

I really would love to stay on oral min at a low dosage but am curious about this side effect (amongst others) and the thoughts you guys have on it?

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I’m a 32 year old male who has diffuse thinning. I’ve been on finasteride for about 8 years now and there’s been no change so that’s good. Recently I learned oral min is a thing and I was able to get a prescription from my doctor in Toronto for 0.625 daily with the eventual plan to move up to 1.25/2.5 daily.

I took the pills for about a week and maybe it was anxiety but I immediately began to feel bloated and my weight shot up 5 lbs from Monday to Wednesday with no change to my relatively healthy life style.

my question is, is it all in my head? Can it actually cause bloating / water retention that quickly? Is there a work around?

I really would love to stay on oral min at a low dosage but am curious about this side effect (amongst others) and the thoughts you guys have on it?
Yes it’s not in your head. I try to limit my sodium intake otherwise I get a bit bloated and get lower leg edema. If I can’t avoid sodium I will take a mild diuretic (dandelion root) which helps.
Bloating and edema happens more often if I am too sedentary as well.

Keep in mind the body will need some time to adjust to the drug. By the 4th month some of the side effects had disappeared or were barely noticeable anymore. The higher you go in dosage though the more intense the side effects can get.

BaldFalcon15

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think low dosages are worth it? I don’t know if I’d want to go higher than 2.5MG once a day? Maybe I’ll start again and see what happens at the low dosage?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you think low dosages are worth it? I don’t know if I’d want to go higher than 2.5MG once a day? Maybe I’ll start again and see what happens at the low dosage?
I use 10mg twice a day. Growing hair on hands like a monkey, got abit of more hair on hairline and hair close to my eyes turned terminal. Go hard or go home sissy boy.

Last edited:

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I think it’s still worth it so long as one still has “grass on the field” so to speak… and has reasonable expectations. All the low dose oral min studies of the last 5-10 years have focused on 5mg or less and 2.5mg seems to be the dose most commonly prescribed by doctors now (for men).

I suggest you follow your doctor’s guidance. Plenty of people here have already written about their experiences on OM. Spend some time to search this forum and read through them.

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use 10mg twice a day. Growing hair on hands like a monkey, got abit of more hair on hairline and hair close to my eyes turned terminal. Go hard or go home sissy boy.
how do you deal with eye near eye bro? look weird even when shaved ( ive get this too), like beard up to the eyes

BaldFalcon15

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I think it’s still worth it so long as one still has “grass on the field” so to speak… and has reasonable expectations. All the low dose oral min studies of the last 5-10 years have focused on 5mg or less and 2.5mg seems to be the dose most commonly prescribed by doctors now (for men).

I suggest you follow your doctor’s guidance. Plenty of people here have already written about their experiences on OM. Spend some time to search this forum and read through them.

BaldFalcon15

My Regimen
Reaction score

I guess I’m just worried that I’ll blow up in weight and I won’t get any gains. I’ve struggled with weight issues my entire life and in the last 4 years I’ve gone from 250 lbs to 170 lbs and as much as I want hair and density I wouldn’t want this to derail my progress so I was curious on the actual water retention effect

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Understandable. You can always just do topical min with tretinoin.

BaldFalcon15

My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s an example of a diuretic I could possibly take to offset the water retention? Would that work?

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What’s an example of a diuretic I could possibly take to offset the water retention? Would that work?
I use dandelion root for water retention as well on 2.5mg.
It works but i still look and feel super tired.
I have to call quits on minoxidil i think. Gonna try 1mg and see how i feel and look.

jil320

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use dandelion root for water retention as well on 2.5mg.
It works but i still look and feel super tired.
I have to call quits on minoxidil i think. Gonna try 1mg and see how i feel and look.
U feel super tired? Are you saying oral minoxidil is making you super tired?